7950 crossfire power supply too small?

boredmug

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
My power supply is only 650 watts. It has run my system for over a year with no problems. 2600k @ 4.5 ghz, 7950 X2. Last night I flashed the new boost bios to both my cards. I started doing some testing and found that my cards usage would bounce all around under load using furmark. A lot of times the second card would be at 100 percent usage while the top card would only be at 80 or so. Then they would flip flop between varying amounts of usage. Sometimes to 0 percent. In most games my top card never exceeds 80 percent or so while my bottom card will often hit. 99 percent. I played around with their clock speeds and found that at 1100 mhz my system would immediately reboot when furmark started. In a game it would usually reset a few minutes in. My cards are now at 1000 mhz and I don't have the re booting problem but the load on the second card looks like an ekg readout. It's all over the place. I game at 5860x1080 and still have more than playable frame rates but the graphs just don't look right. Anyone with some experience help me out? I know my psu is on the small side, could my cards be suffering from lack of power?