Hello. I am a mom buying a laptop for my 12 yr old son. I want for schoolwork. he wants for games. I'm not computer savvy and have probably read too much by now on-line to figure out what is good vs overkill. Basic needs are to do homework and play these games: Minecraft, League of Legends, Cube World.
Here are the specs on the laptop we bought. Price was $680+tax. Is this decent? I still have a week to return if not. THANK YOU!!
• 3rd generation Intel® Core™ i5-3230M Processor 2.6GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.2GHz
• 17.3-inch diagonal HD+(3)
BrightView LED-backlit display (1600 x 900)
• 8GB DDR3 SDRAM (2 DIMM) Maximum supported = 8GB
• 1TB 5400RPM hard drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
• AMD Radeon HD 8670M switchable graphics with 1024MB DDR3 with up to
5066MB total graphics memory
• SuperMulti DVD burner
• 1x1 802.11b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth
Yes he should be more then able to play those games. I know minecraft is very CPU heavy compared to GPU heavy and you have a very good Processor so that's taken care of. I think you have a good laptop for those games.