Sign in with
Your question
Solved

FX 8350 Heatsink Noise Help

Last response: in CPUs
December 28, 2013 3:19:23 PM

Hello, I have Installed the FX 8350 It works fine apart from the heatsink that is very loud when the PC is idle and when playing games. I have the latest BIOS (F4) for my motherboard (GA 78LMT-USB3) I have also tried re-installing the heatsink and there was no change.

is there anyway of making the heatsink quieter?

Thanks

More about : 8350 heatsink noise

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 28, 2013 3:22:33 PM

there any copper on the stock HS or was it all aluminum and not very big?
m
l
Related resources
December 28, 2013 3:26:50 PM

swifty_morgan said:
there any copper on the stock HS or was it all aluminum and not very big?

copper, lots of it.
like this - http://goo.gl/UHKZrx
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 28, 2013 3:28:17 PM

There is a way to make the heatsink quiter, replace the heatsink fan. :D  That is the cause of the noise. :D . There are so many after market quiter fans in the market :D  you just need to look for htem :D 
m
l
December 28, 2013 3:28:35 PM

I believe you have one of many "dodgy" amd heatsinks, it has happend to me and many others.
You can check what your fan rpm is using hwmonitor, if it is around 6000rpm then I am correct.
There is no problem with it spinning that fast, just the noise level is crazy! What I did was grab a cooler master hyper 212 evo, it is a great heatsink and as a plus you will see an improvement in cpu intensive programs.
m
l
December 28, 2013 3:35:06 PM

EasyTransfer said:
I believe you have one of many "dodgy" amd heatsinks, it has happend to me and many others.
You can check what your fan rpm is using hwmonitor, if it is around 6000rpm then I am correct.
There is no problem with it spinning that fast, just the noise level is crazy! What I did was grab a cooler master hyper 212 evo, it is a great heatsink and as a plus you will see an improvement in cpu intensive programs.

Thanks for the suggestion, the fan is spinning at around 2380RPM and 2700RPM/

m
l
December 28, 2013 3:36:56 PM

Are you sure that is the cpu fan? If it is than it shouldn't be making so much noise...are you sure it is not or gpu or something else?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 28, 2013 3:46:17 PM

is cool and quiet enabled?......... shouldn't ask because mine is and the stock heatsinks and fan suck. try an all in one water set up/ they're nice and quiet and work really well if you hook the pump to a fan header and not the cpu header.
m
l
December 28, 2013 3:47:06 PM

EasyTransfer said:
Are you sure that is the cpu fan? If it is than it shouldn't be making so much noise...are you sure it is not or gpu or something else?

yeah its definitely the cpu fan, when playing bf4 the fan goes up to 5000rpm and makes a hell of a noise. the temp is alright i think that stays at around 60 when playing bf4.
m
l
December 28, 2013 3:48:24 PM

swifty_morgan said:
is cool and quiet enabled?......... shouldn't ask because mine is and the stock heatsinks and fan suck. try an all in one water set up/ they're nice and quiet and work really well if you hook the pump to a fan header and not the cpu header.

I think cool and quite is enabled but i did look for it in my mobo settings but i couldnt find anything about it.
m
l
December 28, 2013 3:49:49 PM

What gpu do you use, I believe your cpu is being bottlenecked and in order to keep up the heatsink has to cool down the cpu uncontrollably, this happened to me when I upgraded to a 760 on my amd build, after purchasing the hyper 212 evo everything worked perfectly!
m
l
December 28, 2013 3:53:23 PM

12293274,0,1000234 said:
What gpu do you use, I believe your cpu is being bottlenecked and in order to keep up the heatsink has to cool down the cpu uncontrollably, this happened to me when I upgraded to a 760 on my amd build, after purchasing the hyper 212 evo everything worked perfectly![/quote

I have a Gigabyte 7790 2gb
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 28, 2013 3:56:30 PM

Jackr987 said:
swifty_morgan said:

I think cool and quite is enabled but i did look for it in my mobo settings but i couldnt find anything about it.

it's there. you have to look.
m
l
December 28, 2013 4:00:03 PM

Like I said previously, it is a problem with amd heatsinks, the only solution is to learn to survive with it or grab a hyper 212 evo.
m
l
December 28, 2013 4:02:53 PM

EasyTransfer said:
Like I said previously, it is a problem with amd heatsinks, the only solution is to learn to survive with it or grab a hyper 212 evo.

Thanks I'll grab one! :) 
m
l
December 28, 2013 4:05:28 PM

You will not be disappointed, some even say they see a slight boot time decrease.

Be sure to select an answer as a solution to show you appreciation and let overs know it has been solved.

Have fun :) 
m
l
December 28, 2013 4:07:29 PM

The hyper 212 evo comes with a tube of thermal paste but you will have to remove the old one, I would recommend "Arctic Silver ArctiClean Thermal Material Remover & Surface Purifier" instructions to use is on their packet.
m
l

Best solution

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 28, 2013 4:08:15 PM

Jackr987 said:
EasyTransfer said:

yeah its definitely the cpu fan, when playing bf4 the fan goes up to 5000rpm and makes a hell of a noise. the temp is alright i think that stays at around 60 when playing bf4.

From your description your stock cpu cooler is the cause of your noise. Also, 60 degrees is at the high end for your CPU. I would replace the stock cooler with an aftermarket cooler(CM 212 evo or many other coolers)

arrpee
!