Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Looking to Upgrade GPU, CPU and PSU to Improve Gaming Performance. $800 Budget.

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 29, 2013 12:15:28 AM

Hey everyone,
I'm looking to improve gaming performance on my PC listed below, and I'd like some input on upgrades. I know that a new graphics card would give me the biggest performance boost but I'm open to a CPU and/or PSU upgrade as well if necessary.

I play Planetside 2, Battlefield 4, and DayZ.

My current system: (runs BF4 on minimum settings at about 60 FPS.)
GPU: AMD Radeon HD7750
PSU: 500 Watts
MB: M68MT-S2
CPU: AMD FX 4100 Quad-Core Processor
RAM: 8GB DDR3

All suggestions are welcome, and just let me know if you need any other specs.
Thanks!
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2013 12:20:16 AM

Cpu fx8350

gpu 270x or 280x your choice

psu 600- 700 watts shud be enough check the gpu your buying :) 
m
0
l
a c 271 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 29, 2013 12:22:55 AM

What is the brand and model of your psu?
What is your case?
m
0
l
Related resources
December 29, 2013 12:24:39 AM

Krishna Moorthy said:
Cpu fx8350

gpu 270x or 280x your choice

psu 600- 700 watts shud be enough check the gpu your buying :) 


Alright do you think a CPU upgrade would be worth it or would I be better off spending most of my budget in the graphics card?
Thanks for the response.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2013 12:25:50 AM

TomHaverford said:
Krishna Moorthy said:
Cpu fx8350

gpu 270x or 280x your choice

psu 600- 700 watts shud be enough check the gpu your buying :) 


Alright do you think a CPU upgrade would be worth it or would I be better off spending most of my budget in the graphics card?
Thanks for the response.


you have to be careful about neglecting spending money on your cpu and putting it all into your gpu because you will then run into gpu bottlenecks
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2013 12:27:46 AM

TomHaverford said:
Krishna Moorthy said:
Cpu fx8350

gpu 270x or 280x your choice

psu 600- 700 watts shud be enough check the gpu your buying :) 


Alright do you think a CPU upgrade would be worth it or would I be better off spending most of my budget in the graphics card?
Thanks for the response.


It's definitely worth upgrading to CPU to an FX8350. Look at the R9 280X for the GPU or the HD7870. You will need a 700W PSU if you want to OC. A 650W will be fine if it's an 80+ certified. I recommend buying only 80+ certified PSUs.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2013 12:34:35 AM

TomHaverford said:
realchaos said:
What is the brand and model of your psu?
What is your case?


Thanks for the response,
Here's the case: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/gamer-xtreme-desktop-8gb-me...

For the PSU I'm not sure of the brand and model but I could open up my PC to check if it would really help.


It dosent really matter your going to need a new one anyway if your going to upgrade
m
0
l
December 29, 2013 12:36:45 AM

KillerGamer said:
TomHaverford said:
Krishna Moorthy said:
Cpu fx8350

gpu 270x or 280x your choice

psu 600- 700 watts shud be enough check the gpu your buying :) 


Alright do you think a CPU upgrade would be worth it or would I be better off spending most of my budget in the graphics card?
Thanks for the response.


It's definitely worth upgrading to CPU to an FX8350. Look at the R9 280X for the GPU or the HD7870. You will need a 700W PSU if you want to OC. A 650W will be fine if it's an 80+ certified. I recommend buying only 80+ certified PSUs.


Okay thanks. My knowledge about oveclocking is pretty limited so I might be better of with a factory overclocked card. If I do that, would I still need a 700W PSU?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2013 12:39:01 AM

TomHaverford said:
KillerGamer said:
TomHaverford said:
Krishna Moorthy said:
Cpu fx8350

gpu 270x or 280x your choice

psu 600- 700 watts shud be enough check the gpu your buying :) 


Alright do you think a CPU upgrade would be worth it or would I be better off spending most of my budget in the graphics card?
Thanks for the response.


It's definitely worth upgrading to CPU to an FX8350. Look at the R9 280X for the GPU or the HD7870. You will need a 700W PSU if you want to OC. A 650W will be fine if it's an 80+ certified. I recommend buying only 80+ certified PSUs.


Okay thanks. My knowledge about oveclocking is pretty limited so I might be better of with a factory overclocked card. If I do that, would I still need a 700W PSU?


if you look at the card in the specification it should tell you how much is recommended. They normally over recommend so you get some headroom to overclock and whatnot
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 271 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 29, 2013 12:56:13 AM

You would want to upgrade your processor because the FX-4100 is based off the crappy bulldozer architecture.
But then your motherboard is low quality and it probably won't support an overclocked 8-core, so you would want a new motherboard to go with that.
But since you're switching motherboard, you need a new OS.
The psu in that computer is low quality, so you want a new, higher quality psu.
You're going to change a lot of the components, but it's worth it.

You can go for something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($114.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($334.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) ($94.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $764.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-29 03:52 EST-0500)

It's topping out your budget, but you get a good 8-core processor with a high quality motherboard that enables you to overclock the processor.
The CM Hyper 212 EVO allows you to moderately overclock the 8320, you should be able to get around ~4.3-4.5ghz give or take.
The psu is a very high quality psu that has ton of headroom for overclocking. Don't worry, 650w is plenty for these components and overclocking.
As stated, since you're changing the motherboard, you need a new OS. I included Windows 8.1 because it has many advantages over Windows 7 and you can easily bypass the interface to make it look like Windows 7.
The GTX 770 can max out anything at 1080p. You can definitely go for a GTX 760 and it should still allow you to play those games very well. I would recommend the R9-280X but with all of the bitcoin miners, all of the reasonable priced 280X are sold out.
Share
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2013 1:00:23 AM

TomHaverford said:
Of the two GPU's recommended, how do they compare in performance? There's a pretty big price difference - the R9-280 costs $420, while the other one is $200.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


http://gpuboss.com/gpus/XFX-Radeon-R9-280X-vs-ASUS-Rade...

Hmm thats wierd one of them must be on sale they should be quite similar in price
m
0
l
a c 271 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 29, 2013 1:07:38 AM

The 280X is much stronger than the 7870. The 7870 is a mid-range card that can play games very well for the price, mostly at high settings. The 280X is a much stronger card, which justifies it's price. It can play any game at 1080p at max settings easily. The MSRP of the 280X is suppose to be around ~$310 but there are a lot of bitcoin miners buying the 280X, which is why a lot of the 280X are sold out and are on back order. Due to the high demand by said bitcoin miners, Newegg decided to increase the price of their graphic cards. They turned a ~$310 gpu into a ~$400-500 gpu for profit purposes, which is not worth it. Retailers that do sell the 280X at around the $310 mark are all backed out.
This is why I don't recommend the 280X right now. The GTX 770 performs very similar to the 280X but it can be easily found for ~$330.

Also, Krishna, the 7870 is supposed to be $150-200. Don't use gpuboss, it's not a very good website to compare gpus.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2013 1:13:44 AM

realchaos said:
The 280X is much stronger than the 7870. The 7870 is a mid-range card that can play games very well for the price, mostly at high settings. The 280X is a much stronger card, which justifies it's price. It can play any game at 1080p at max settings easily. The MSRP of the 280X is suppose to be around ~$310 but there are a lot of bitcoin miners buying the 280X, which is why a lot of the 280X are sold out and are on back order. Due to the high demand by said bitcoin miners, Newegg decided to increase the price of their graphic cards. They turned a ~$310 gpu into a ~$400-500 gpu for profit purposes, which is not worth it. Retailers that do sell the 280X at around the $310 mark are all backed out.
This is why I don't recommend the 280X right now. The GTX 770 performs very similar to the 280X but it can be easily found for ~$330.

Also, Krishna, the 7870 is supposed to be $150-200. Don't use gpuboss, it's not a very good website to compare gpus.


what would you recommend then?
m
0
l
a c 271 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 29, 2013 1:15:09 AM

I posted all of my recommendations above.
m
0
l
December 29, 2013 1:16:06 AM

realchaos said:
The 280X is much stronger than the 7870. The 7870 is a mid-range card that can play games very well for the price, mostly at high settings. The 280X is a much stronger card, which justifies it's price. It can play any game at 1080p at max settings easily. The MSRP of the 280X is suppose to be around ~$310 but there are a lot of bitcoin miners buying the 280X, which is why a lot of the 280X are sold out and are on back order. Due to the high demand by said bitcoin miners, Newegg decided to increase the price of their graphic cards. They turned a ~$310 gpu into a ~$400-500 gpu for profit purposes, which is not worth it. Retailers that do sell the 280X at around the $310 mark are all backed out.
This is why I don't recommend the 280X right now. The GTX 770 performs very similar to the 280X but it can be easily found for ~$330.

Also, Krishna, the 7870 is supposed to be $150-200. Don't use gpuboss, it's not a very good website to compare gpus.


The parts you mentioned look great, and are within my budget. But is a major overhaul like this something you would recommend to a novice like me (at both PC building and overclocking)? I originally had in mind something minor like a new GPU and maybe CPU, but I would take the time to figure all of this out if it would make a big difference.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2013 1:18:30 AM

realchaos said:
I posted all of my recommendations above.


No i mean is there a better website than cpu/gpu boss? and why is it bad
m
0
l
a c 271 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 29, 2013 1:27:43 AM

@Tom: It's not that hard to replace parts. You can watch videos on how to build a computer, so you will know what to do when replacing the parts. It's very easy. All you do is put a certain component in a certain spot and plug in the connectors. The psu connectors are probably the hardest thing, but all you need to do is read the motherboard manual and you'll be fine.

@Krishna: Anandtech.com is a decent website to compare the raw performance of two gpus. However, you're better off learning which gpu is simply better. You can read up professional reviews from Tomshardware, Jonnyguru, Hardwaresecrets, etc. You should soon become familiar with the GPU naming scheme and know which gpu is better.
Also, gpuboss is bad because of the link you posted. It's scores the 7870 higher than 280X, but it's evident that the 280X performs much, much better.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2013 1:29:53 AM

realchaos said:
@Tom: It's not that hard to replace parts. You can watch videos on how to build a computer, so you will know what to do when replacing the parts. It's very easy. All you do is put a certain component in a certain spot and plug in the connectors. The psu connectors are probably the hardest thing, but all you need to do is read the motherboard manual and you'll be fine.

@Krishna: Anandtech.com is a decent website to compare the raw performance of two gpus. However, you're better off learning which gpu is simply better. You can read up professional reviews from Tomshardware, Jonnyguru, Hardwaresecrets, etc. You should soon become familiar with the GPU naming scheme and know which gpu is better.
Also, gpuboss is bad because of the link you posted. It's scores the 7870 higher than 280X, but it's evident that the 280X performs much, much better.


okay thanks for you information :D 
m
0
l
December 29, 2013 1:39:12 AM

realchaos said:
@Tom: It's not that hard to replace parts. You can watch videos on how to build a computer, so you will know what to do when replacing the parts. It's very easy. All you do is put a certain component in a certain spot and plug in the connectors. The psu connectors are probably the hardest thing, but all you need to do is read the motherboard manual and you'll be fine.

@Krishna: Anandtech.com is a decent website to compare the raw performance of two gpus. However, you're better off learning which gpu is simply better. You can read up professional reviews from Tomshardware, Jonnyguru, Hardwaresecrets, etc. You should soon become familiar with the GPU naming scheme and know which gpu is better.
Also, gpuboss is bad because of the link you posted. It's scores the 7870 higher than 280X, but it's evident that the 280X performs much, much better.


So it seems like upgrading from my current FX-4100 processor to an FX-8350 starts a sequence of new components I'll need (Motherboard, OS, PSU). Without that upgrade, the price would be much lower. Is there a lesser processor upgrade that wouldn't require me to get a new motherboard? I'm trying to find the best bang for my buck here.
Thanks!
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2013 2:01:42 AM

TomHaverford said:
KillerGamer said:
TomHaverford said:
Krishna Moorthy said:
Cpu fx8350

gpu 270x or 280x your choice

psu 600- 700 watts shud be enough check the gpu your buying :) 


Alright do you think a CPU upgrade would be worth it or would I be better off spending most of my budget in the graphics card?
Thanks for the response.


It's definitely worth upgrading to CPU to an FX8350. Look at the R9 280X for the GPU or the HD7870. You will need a 700W PSU if you want to OC. A 650W will be fine if it's an 80+ certified. I recommend buying only 80+ certified PSUs.


Okay thanks. My knowledge about oveclocking is pretty limited so I might be better of with a factory overclocked card. If I do that, would I still need a 700W PSU?


As Krisha said, they will provide you with the recommended Wattage, but it's always advisable to buy a PSU which has more Wattage than what's recommended. Go for any card, just make sure it has enough juice and OC ability to fulfill your needs.
m
0
l
December 29, 2013 2:16:41 AM

KillerGamer said:
TomHaverford said:
KillerGamer said:
TomHaverford said:
Krishna Moorthy said:
Cpu fx8350

gpu 270x or 280x your choice

psu 600- 700 watts shud be enough check the gpu your buying :) 


Alright do you think a CPU upgrade would be worth it or would I be better off spending most of my budget in the graphics card?
Thanks for the response.


It's definitely worth upgrading to CPU to an FX8350. Look at the R9 280X for the GPU or the HD7870. You will need a 700W PSU if you want to OC. A 650W will be fine if it's an 80+ certified. I recommend buying only 80+ certified PSUs.


Okay thanks. My knowledge about oveclocking is pretty limited so I might be better of with a factory overclocked card. If I do that, would I still need a 700W PSU?


As Krisha said, they will provide you with the recommended Wattage, but it's always advisable to buy a PSU which has more Wattage than what's recommended. Go for any card, just make sure it has enough juice and OC ability to fulfill your needs.


Awesome. Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2013 2:26:26 AM

TomHaverford said:
KillerGamer said:
TomHaverford said:
KillerGamer said:
TomHaverford said:
Krishna Moorthy said:
Cpu fx8350

gpu 270x or 280x your choice

psu 600- 700 watts shud be enough check the gpu your buying :) 


Alright do you think a CPU upgrade would be worth it or would I be better off spending most of my budget in the graphics card?
Thanks for the response.


It's definitely worth upgrading to CPU to an FX8350. Look at the R9 280X for the GPU or the HD7870. You will need a 700W PSU if you want to OC. A 650W will be fine if it's an 80+ certified. I recommend buying only 80+ certified PSUs.


Okay thanks. My knowledge about oveclocking is pretty limited so I might be better of with a factory overclocked card. If I do that, would I still need a 700W PSU?


As Krisha said, they will provide you with the recommended Wattage, but it's always advisable to buy a PSU which has more Wattage than what's recommended. Go for any card, just make sure it has enough juice and OC ability to fulfill your needs.


Awesome. Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it.


You're most welcome. Enjoy your new build.. :D 
m
0
l
a c 271 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 29, 2013 11:24:10 AM

I know upgrading from your FX-4100 will make you change a lot of your components, but it's definitely worth the money.
You should have been prepared to do this once you bought a pre-built computer. All pre-built uses low quality psu and motherboard and it's hard to upgrade the computer without replacing those first.
m
0
l
December 29, 2013 3:23:18 PM

realchaos said:
I know upgrading from your FX-4100 will make you change a lot of your components, but it's definitely worth the money.
You should have been prepared to do this once you bought a pre-built computer. All pre-built uses low quality psu and motherboard and it's hard to upgrade the computer without replacing those first.


Hey I understand that I'll need to get a better PSU but I'm trying to avoid buying a new motherboard. How can I check whether or not my motherboard will be able to support a new processor?
m
0
l
a c 271 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 29, 2013 3:31:06 PM

Well the thing is, it may work because it does have support for the FX processors, but it's not very recommended. Your motherboard is very old and it may have trouble holding up the 8320. Also, if it does manage to work, there is no way you can overclock the 8320 because of the VRMs. It's not strong enough to support an overclocked 8-core.
Even though it may seem like it's just a motherboard and it doesn't add any performance to games, it's still an important part of a computer and you're better off spending an extra bit of money for a better quality board. Again, there's no guarantee that it will support the FX-8320 because of it's very high TDP. It's more advised to just get a new motherboard.
m
0
l
December 29, 2013 3:41:44 PM

realchaos said:
Well the thing is, it may work because it does have support for the FX processors, but it's not very recommended. Your motherboard is very old and it may have trouble holding up the 8320. Also, if it does manage to work, there is no way you can overclock the 8320 because of the VRMs. It's not strong enough to support an overclocked 8-core.
Even though it may seem like it's just a motherboard and it doesn't add any performance to games, it's still an important part of a computer and you're better off spending an extra bit of money for a better quality board. Again, there's no guarantee that it will support the FX-8320 because of it's very high TDP. It's more advised to just get a new motherboard.


Yeah the main reason I'm hesitant to upgrade my motherboard is that (I think) it would require me to get a new OS, and that adds $100-$200 dollars. I may have already asked this question, but would my current motherboard be able to handle an upgrade to a less powerful processor than the FX-8320? And if so, would it be enough of an upgrade from my current processor to be worth it?
m
0
l
a c 271 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 29, 2013 4:01:57 PM

Yeah you would need a new OS, which is just under $100.
The only other option is the FX-6300, which I think your motherboard can handle. But I wouldn't really consider it because the 8320 is much stronger and it's on sale so it's only ~$15 more than the 6300. It's definitely a better deal to grab the 8320.
Also, if you do go for the FX-6300, you won't be able to overclock it on that shitty motherboard. Since you can't overclock, the 6300 will definitely bottleneck the GTX 770/R9-280X.
AMD processors are meant to be overclocked.
m
0
l
December 29, 2013 4:17:04 PM

realchaos said:
Yeah you would need a new OS, which is just under $100.
The only other option is the FX-6300, which I think your motherboard can handle. But I wouldn't really consider it because the 8320 is much stronger and it's on sale so it's only ~$15 more than the 6300. It's definitely a better deal to grab the 8320.
Also, if you do go for the FX-6300, you won't be able to overclock it on that shitty motherboard. Since you can't overclock, the 6300 will definitely bottleneck the GTX 770/R9-280X.
AMD processors are meant to be overclocked.


Okay, sounds good. Thanks again! :) 
m
0
l
December 29, 2013 11:56:52 PM

One last thing, and probably a dumb question: Do my old components have any re-sale value at this point?
m
0
l
a c 271 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 30, 2013 12:02:34 AM

The psu and motherboard doesn't.
You can probably get about ~$30-50 for your gpu.
I doubt anyone will buy the FX-4100 since Vishera is out.
m
0
l
December 30, 2013 12:10:08 AM

realchaos said:
The psu and motherboard doesn't.
You can probably get about ~$30-50 for your gpu.
I doubt anyone will buy the FX-4100 since Vishera is out.


Okay, cool. Any good sites to put my gpu for sale on?

Oh and that PSU is no longer $60, it looks like the best deal I could get on it now is $80 from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/XFX-PRO650W-Edition-Bronze-Certif...
Still worth it? I could also get the same unit just with 750w instead of 650w for only $15 more. Any benefit from doing that?
Thanks
m
0
l
!