FX-8350 with ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0

GhosT_Hv

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
Can i Use AMD FX-8350 directly with ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0.
I know that this motherboard has AM3+ socket and supports upto 140W CPU that means it will support fx-8350 for sure but will this motherboard need a BIOS update before using it ?
consider that I've an newly Unboxed FX-8350 and Unboxed M5A99FX R2.0 then how do i update bios ?
i dont have any other CPU that supports default bios. :|

Solution
I wouldn't worry about it. I am using BIOS 12.08 on the M5A99x Version 1! with a 8350. Works perfectly. They are up to BIOS 21, but anything after 11 is up to date for all CPU's. You should have no problems. There is a sticker below the RAM slots and to the right of the 24 pin power connector. The last 4 numbers are the BIOS. All of the newer BIOS's just improve stability. I would update to the newest BIOS, but you won't have any problems getting into the BIOS and using the "Tools" section to update the BIOS right away if you want to. If you are not familiar, it is very easy: Download the newest BIOS to a USB stick, and unzip it. Insert the USB stick. Start into the BIOS, go to Advanced section and "Tools" and go to easy...

GhosT_Hv

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
Before this motherboard , I was going to buy Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 rev 4.0
the rev 4.0 supports fx processors without bios update. it has default F1 BIOS for all the AMD processors.
is there anything similar with the ASUS motherboards which indicates default bios ?
Like Gigabyte has revisions (1.1 , 2.0 , 3.0 , 4.0 ) ?

avjguy2362

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
I wouldn't worry about it. I am using BIOS 12.08 on the M5A99x Version 1! with a 8350. Works perfectly. They are up to BIOS 21, but anything after 11 is up to date for all CPU's. You should have no problems. There is a sticker below the RAM slots and to the right of the 24 pin power connector. The last 4 numbers are the BIOS. All of the newer BIOS's just improve stability. I would update to the newest BIOS, but you won't have any problems getting into the BIOS and using the "Tools" section to update the BIOS right away if you want to. If you are not familiar, it is very easy: Download the newest BIOS to a USB stick, and unzip it. Insert the USB stick. Start into the BIOS, go to Advanced section and "Tools" and go to easy Flash II ( maybe III now ! ) and run the BIOS flash tool, you will see the file available, choose it and it does the rest. IT automatically restarts into the new BIOS. Check the RAM settings, CPU multiplier and set the SATA controller to ACHI. Verify Boot order settings, save and you are good to go for now!

Solution

GhosT_Hv

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

that means I can use any AM3+ CPU with this motherboard ? without updating BIOS right ?
have you faced any problems regarding to this motherboard ?
is this a good motherboard ? or should I look for another one.
specially I wanted a motherboard with 2 PCIe x16 slot running at x16 for better CrossfireX .
anyway Thank you for your help.

avjguy2362

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
You can start with any AMD processor with the current BIOS, however, if the BIOS is more than a couple updates old, I would probably update it just to start with the most stable they have. ( You dont' have to! )
I am obviously a bit biased, but yes I think it is great. I really like Asus's AI suite. It makes it very easy to overclock and also use there ECO mode when not gaming (TPU and EPU modes). You can switch back and forth quickly without ever going into the BIOS. No complaints! I haven't had a BSOD on this board, ever!

Mad-Max

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014
Greets all !!

I can guarantee that your FX Processor will run absolutely fine without any updates to the BIOS or whatsoever.

Here's what I'm running on atm:

AMD FX Pro 8350 Black Edition 8 Core à 4.2Ghz.
on ASUS m5A99FX Pro MB with 4x 8GB 1333MHz / DDR3 (32GB Total)
GFX ASUS GeForce 630GT 4 GB / DDR5
4x 1TB SATA 7200Rpm Samsung HDD's
and Windows 7 / 64 Bits

The thing runs pefectly flawless as is, no update needed although there is one for the bios, (but not an obligation to update)
Tested fully , no bugs, Overclocks fine and smooth. You can go for it, no problems at all ;)

Enjoy !! :)