Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

First time build: Under $1000 with a 780

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 29, 2013 1:05:11 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/twaelbroeck/saved/3h8h

I plan on overclocking in the future whenever I have time to research and experiment. I do some occasional (rare) video editing, but generally just gaming or programming for school. I'll be playing games like: Skyrim, Battlefield, ARMA, Crysis, Far Cry, Fallout, Dirt 3, Assassin's Creed, Civ V, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2.

Initially, I'll be gaming at 1080p, which I understand will be overkill. Later on I'll be adding an SSD (I'm carrying over my HDD from my laptop for the time being) and a 1440p monitor. Will this setup be able to maintain a 60FPS average on Ultra 1440p or on a triple 1080p setup?

Thanks for any input.

P.S. 2133 RAM is because it's currently the cheaper than slower 2x4GBs right now

More about : time build 1000 780

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2013 1:09:37 AM

twaelbroeck said:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/twaelbroeck/saved/3h8h

I plan on overclocking in the future whenever I have time to research and experiment. I do some occasional (rare) video editing, but generally just gaming or programming for school. I'll be playing games like: Skyrim, Battlefield, ARMA, Crysis, Far Cry, Fallout, Dirt 3, Assassin's Creed, Civ V, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2.

Initially, I'll be gaming at 1080p, which I understand will be overkill. Later on I'll be adding an SSD (I'm carrying over my HDD from my laptop for the time being) and a 1440p monitor. Will this setup be able to maintain a 60FPS average on Ultra 1440p or on a triple 1080p setup?

Thanks for any input.

P.S. 2133 RAM is because it's currently the cheaper than slower 2x4GBs right now


That look fine but i would really recommend spending the extra 30$ and getting a fx 8350. Especially since you want to overclock in the future and the 8350 gets a 9.9 out of 10 for overclocking and is just and all round amazing chip.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-fd8350frhkbox

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-FX-8350-vs-AMD-FX-8320
m
0
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2013 1:14:32 AM

The FX-8350 is not $30 more, it is $60 more and the 8320 is a much better buy.
cpuboss is a horrible websites to compare processors. If you actually compare them, they are essentially the exact same chip. They both overclock the same. The only difference between the two is the $60 price difference and the 500mhz. The 500mhz is nothing as it can easily be overclocked.
So OP, save yourself the $60 and stick with the 8320 for the practically the same performance.

Anyways OP, great build. Everything is high quality. It should perform very well in games.
Share
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2013 1:32:57 AM

I've got an FX 8120 3.1 OC'd to 4.6 and it runs very well so, I'm sure the 8320 would kick some serious ass overclocking.

I also think you have a great build there, the only thing I'd change if you have the cash is get a bit more juice like a 750PSU, just to be safe when you start overclocking stuff, but even if you can't, this should still do the job fine.

Enjoy!
m
0
l
December 29, 2013 2:16:06 AM

realchaos said:
The FX-8350 is not $30 more, it is $60 more and the 8320 is a much better buy.
cpuboss is a horrible websites to compare processors. If you actually compare them, they are essentially the exact same chip. They both overclock the same. The only difference between the two is the $60 price difference and the 500mhz. The 500mhz is nothing as it can easily be overclocked.
So OP, save yourself the $60 and stick with the 8320 for the practically the same performance.


That's what I've gathered from them too. A lot of people are able to OC the 8320 to 4.5Ghz, which is only marginally less than the 8350 (average OC 4.7Ghz, max 5.0Ghz).

Rocketninja16 said:
I've got an FX 8120 3.1 OC'd to 4.6 and it runs very well so, I'm sure the 8320 would kick some serious ass overclocking.

I also think you have a great build there, the only thing I'd change if you have the cash is get a bit more juice like a 750PSU, just to be safe when you start overclocking stuff, but even if you can't, this should still do the job fine.


Thanks for the input! I might go for a 750W in the end - I'm looking at a XFX ProSeries 750W 80+ Silver ( http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1750bnlg...). Any thoughts to that?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2013 2:26:14 AM

twaelbroeck said:


Thanks for the input! I might go for a 750W in the end - I'm looking at a XFX ProSeries 750W 80+ Silver ( http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1750bnlg...). Any thoughts to that?


I've never used XFX but I've seen many many favourable reviews on them all across the interwebs.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2013 11:15:16 AM

XFX is a great psu brand, but I would suggest you going for this psu instead: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ss85...
It's only $5 more expensive than the XFX but the 850w will allow you to SLI in the future with enough headroom for overclocking.
m
0
l
!