Sign in with
Your question
Solved

2 7950, 2 7970 or 1 radeon R9 290x What is better for gaming ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 29, 2013 1:39:28 AM

I was wondering what would be better for gaming 2 7950, 2 7970 in crossfire or 1 Radeon R9 290X
a b 4 Gaming
December 29, 2013 1:51:57 AM

dual 7970 is best for gaming out of that list, that said the crossfired 7970 will only do better if the game supports crossfire, thus if it doesn't the game is only running on a single 7970 and this puts is at a disadvantage. This is where the single R9 290X is benefitted, the stock cooler is rubbish so wait for the new card cooler to come out before buying, this produces less heat then two 7970's as crossfire gets pretty hot when in a case but the R9 29X with the stock cooler is very very hot on the other side as thus you should wait for the aftermarket coolers which will be out shortly. I currently have a 7990 and that is dual 7970's and it is a titan when the game supports crossfire, the R9 290X will not be able to compete with two cards like the 7970 in crossfire but will beat it in the games with single GPU support only.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 29, 2013 1:53:26 AM

the 7950 can be clocked at the same rate as the 7970 keep in mind but the 7970 can be clocked to beat that, just depends on the extra price your willing to spend.
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
December 29, 2013 3:56:06 AM

Unknownofprob nails it pretty well so I'll just chip in with a few other points.
Check prices carefully, those 7xxx AMD cards are getting scarce and, in some countries grossly overpriced. I advise against thinking about used parts.
Personally, I'd go with a single R9 290-but don't go for the stock single fan cooler models, better cooled cards are becoming available and they run cooler while being quieter.

m
l
December 29, 2013 4:20:13 AM

Yer the 7970's are hard to find but i have a friend that is going to sell me 2 of them that are watercooled for around 400-500 dollars so i might get them :D 
m
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
December 29, 2013 4:42:26 AM

Well, watercooling gets rid of the other main issues with dual 7970s-noise and heat build up, even if it adds the complexity of building a loop.
Looking at the current (out of stock in most cases) prices of better cooled R9 290s the cost difference is going to be minimal by the time you factor in the cooling loop and, of course there's little warranty beyond your friendship if you go with the used option.
All in all, I'd still go for the single R9 290 but it's a hard call to make and if you're familiar with watercooling it'll be even harder because you'll already have a good idea about what is involved.
a b 4 Gaming
December 29, 2013 7:57:39 PM

Mojoman2545 said:
Yer the 7970's are hard to find but i have a friend that is going to sell me 2 of them that are watercooled for around 400-500 dollars so i might get them :D 

Good price for two watercooled, I'd get them Just make sure you have enough PSU wattage for headroom for the GPU's as they draw 250 watts each. Having the PSU under load isn't good and it's efficiency will be far less. Having anything over 700 watts will be fine. Enjoy your new cards!
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 29, 2013 8:02:54 PM

coozie7 said:
Well, watercooling gets rid of the other main issues with dual 7970s-noise and heat build up, even if it adds the complexity of building a loop.
Looking at the current (out of stock in most cases) prices of better cooled R9 290s the cost difference is going to be minimal by the time you factor in the cooling loop and, of course there's little warranty beyond your friendship if you go with the used option.
All in all, I'd still go for the single R9 290 but it's a hard call to make and if you're familiar with watercooling it'll be even harder because you'll already have a good idea about what is involved.

I just don't see the price justification between the R9 290 and 290X, practically the same just one has less cores cut out and clocked a little less. The R9 29 can be clocked to the same but for the extra money what's the point. It's basically comparing a GTX 780 to a GTX Titan, both practically the same with the less Vram and cores cut out, only in this case it's just the Cores cut out and the Vram is exactly the same. Dual 7970's would be a reallt good way to go though Coozie7 has pointed out a fairly cheap good way to go and that's the R9 290. Both are really good choices just depends on the types of games and game compatibility. With crossfire the really popular games will have no trouble having crossfire support.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 29, 2013 9:00:39 PM

290x off course hands down. Cf will help but if the game doesnt have d cf profiles u either get micro stutter or performance. But wait for d aftermarket coolers for 290x. So far sapphire n gigabyte have released them
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 29, 2013 9:04:40 PM

caj said:
290x off course hands down. Cf will help but if the game doesnt have d cf profiles u either get micro stutter or performance. But wait for d aftermarket coolers for 290x. So far sapphire n gigabyte have released them

Can you explain the reasoning for the price difference between R9 290 and R9 290X, $100+ at minimum once the new coolers come out, for some extra cores and clocked a little higher....A joke
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 29, 2013 9:18:22 PM

290x or non will prob decrease d price after d litecoin craze dies or falls out.I like the fact that the 290x is 4k certified & beats the 780. But I agree doesnt justify the price. For couple of 20s I get the 780ti which will rape d 290x hands down.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 29, 2013 9:23:15 PM

caj said:
290x or non will prob decrease d price after d litecoin craze dies or falls out.I like the fact that the 290x is 4k certified & beats the 780. But I agree doesnt justify the price. For couple of 20s I get the 780ti which will rape d 290x hands down.

not quite, The R9 290X can squash the GTX 780 Ti in 4k and other things. 4GB GDDR5 with 512 bit memory interface can be really beneficial to high resolutions and multiple displays, On a single display the GTX 780 Ti will outperform.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 29, 2013 9:31:51 PM

Not necessarily. Ati might have a 512 bit bus but nvidia have raw gpu horsepower that easily squashes most gpu. See the 780ti,hardly was nvidia beaten and they released the 780ti n claimed baq the throne. Now to game at 4k we would need a tri sli or tri cf jus to get reasonable fps unless u wanna turn aa off n settle with jaggies. Amd is the underdog n surely best bang for buck but nvidia sure knows how to make deir gpus. Amd drivers might be faulty but to me its personally user experience. I intended to snag a 290x but wen I saw the prices I jus didnt feel justified buying dem along wit lack of stock. I feel d money worth wud cm if the d 290x stuck to the launched n intended prices. Currently inclined towards 780ti but d 3gb vram holding my decision.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 29, 2013 9:36:23 PM

caj said:
Not necessarily. Ati might have a 512 bit bus but nvidia have raw gpu horsepower that easily squashes most gpu. See the 780ti,hardly was nvidia beaten and they released the 780ti n claimed baq the throne. Now to game at 4k we would need a tri sli or tri cf jus to get reasonable fps unless u wanna turn aa off n settle with jaggies. Amd is the underdog n surely best bang for buck but nvidia sure knows how to make deir gpus. Amd drivers might be faulty but to me its personally user experience. I intended to snag a 290x but wen I saw the prices I jus didnt feel justified buying dem along wit lack of stock. I feel d money worth wud cm if the d 290x stuck to the launched n intended prices. Currently inclined towards 780ti but d 3gb vram holding my decision.

100% with you on that, Nvidia would only release a GPU if it would take the throne and it did. I am with the 780 Ti but At 4K it gets beaten but at almost everything else it gets crushed by Nvidia's GTX 780 Ti. Which still makes me say why is the GTX Titan still $1000 if the 780 Ti is faster and costs less?
m
l
!