i5 4430 or FX 8320?

Pultrax

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
I'm running a AMD R9 270X with 12GB RAM and a AMD Athlon X4 641 @2800MHz.. My CPU is just bottlenecking everything so I have to replace it for another, which one should I get?
I'm playing BF3/4 and other FPS
I would like to record my gameplays though.
Thanks so much!

Solution
My normal answer to any question about getting either an intel or amd cpu is always the same since the core 2 duo came out. ALWAYS BUY INTEL! There is no longer any comparison between the two when it comes to performance. But of course you will have to buy a new motherboard to go with it.

suteck

Distinguished
My normal answer to any question about getting either an intel or amd cpu is always the same since the core 2 duo came out. ALWAYS BUY INTEL! There is no longer any comparison between the two when it comes to performance. But of course you will have to buy a new motherboard to go with it.

Solution

Pultrax

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
I'm right with you. but what if I want to overclock? i5 4430 isn't unlocked and I don't want to spent more then $180
I heard that FX8320 is overclockable to 4.5GHz..
It should be much faster then, right?

The i5 would probably still be faster in single-threaded tasks even when the FX is overclock - depending on the task, the difference is negligible. When playing games that use at least 4 cores they will be pretty even, and the FX may pull ahead in newer games since you have the ability to overclock.

At stock clocks the intel will win most often - I'd still get an unlocked FX over a locked i5 though, unless it was a high end i5 (4670) or i7. Just personal preference, I like having the ability to overclock. Getting the 8320 might also free up some of your budget to get a better PSU/GPU etc.

Up to you.

suteck

Distinguished
Yes, that would make it faster but not give you better performance. The difference is in the instruction sets of the cpu's themselves. Speed is only one indicator, not the whole picture. Just because it's faster doesn't mean it's better. ever heard the expression "going around your asPHOLe to get to your elbow? Kinda the same thing to me. If you're taking the long way around to get there using and you go faster to make it there in the same amount of time it really doesn't help. Plus overclocking takes it's toll on cpu's and you have to have the improved cooling or watercooling. So more noise and expense and it takes up more room in the case. Does it need to be bigger also?