Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

How to go back to windows 7 without disc drive?

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Hewlett Packard
  • Windows 8
Last response: in Windows 8
December 30, 2013 6:12:38 PM

I got a new hp envy with windows 8 preinstalled. I want to get rid of windows 8 and get windows 7 but my laptop doesn't have a disc drive. Is there a way I can get windows 7 without the disc?

More about : back windows disc drive

a b * Windows 8
December 30, 2013 6:18:16 PM

Most likely, yes.
You'll need to interrupt normal start-up and choose the Recovery option at the HP logo.
Turn your computer off and turn it back on while pressing Esc repeatedly.
An option will then appear for Recovery (usually F11)
Choose the recovery option and follow the on-screen instructions.
Keep in mind you will loose all user data
m
0
l
a c 292 $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
a b α HP
December 30, 2013 6:20:10 PM

yes install thru usb.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
a b α HP
December 30, 2013 6:26:11 PM

recovery would just factory reset it. not magically install windows 7...

as said you need to use the microsoft windows 7 USB install tool
m
0
l
a c 292 $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
a b α HP
December 30, 2013 6:28:54 PM

and make sure your hp envy have windows 7 drivers.
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
December 30, 2013 6:34:41 PM

unksol said:
recovery would just factory reset it. not magically install windows 7...

as said you need to use the microsoft windows 7 USB install tool


Don't be silly. New laptops come with downgrade rights. Any reputable retailer, (HP being one of them) has a dedicated Windows 7 image for downgrading within the recovery partition.

I do these downgrades around 5 times a week where I work.
m
0
l
December 30, 2013 6:42:46 PM

joesklar said:
Most likely, yes.
You'll need to interrupt normal start-up and choose the Recovery option at the HP logo.
Turn your computer off and turn it back on while pressing Esc repeatedly.
An option will then appear for Recovery (usually F11)
Choose the recovery option and follow the on-screen instructions.
Keep in mind you will loose all user data


rgd1101 said:
and make sure your hp envy have windows 7 drivers.

thanks, sorry I'm not really that good with computers. So after I follow the on screen instructions it will start to install windows 7?
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
December 30, 2013 6:58:10 PM

em24 said:
joesklar said:
Most likely, yes.
You'll need to interrupt normal start-up and choose the Recovery option at the HP logo.
Turn your computer off and turn it back on while pressing Esc repeatedly.
An option will then appear for Recovery (usually F11)
Choose the recovery option and follow the on-screen instructions.
Keep in mind you will loose all user data


rgd1101 said:
and make sure your hp envy have windows 7 drivers.

thanks, sorry I'm not really that good with computers. So after I follow the on screen instructions it will start to install windows 7?


There will be an option to install Windows 7 in the recovery menu. Just follow what it tells you :) 
m
0
l
December 30, 2013 7:03:26 PM

joesklar said:
em24 said:
joesklar said:
Most likely, yes.
You'll need to interrupt normal start-up and choose the Recovery option at the HP logo.
Turn your computer off and turn it back on while pressing Esc repeatedly.
An option will then appear for Recovery (usually F11)
Choose the recovery option and follow the on-screen instructions.
Keep in mind you will loose all user data


rgd1101 said:
and make sure your hp envy have windows 7 drivers.

thanks, sorry I'm not really that good with computers. So after I follow the on screen instructions it will start to install windows 7?


There will be an option to install Windows 7 in the recovery menu. Just follow what it tells you :) 


ok I'll try it thanks
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
December 30, 2013 7:38:07 PM

mbreslin1954 said:
According to these two websites, consumer-level HP laptops do not come with downgrade rights to Windows 7, let alone a Windows 7 restore partition on them.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems...

Unless you have OEM Windows 8 Pro installed.


Okay, well I have seen a good few with the downgrade option available within the recovery menu.
And maybe that's the reason, every laptop my company orders in for customers are the Pro variant.

m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
December 30, 2013 7:45:36 PM

Businesses are the main users who have serious reasons for not upgrading, plus they're paying the higher price for the Pro version, so it makes sense they would be given the option to downgrade. I guess the consumer non-pro versions are on their own.

So em24, what version of Windows 8 do you have? Do you have the Pro version? Go to Control Panel and click/run the "System" applet.
m
0
l
December 30, 2013 8:35:22 PM

mbreslin1954 said:
Businesses are the main users who have serious reasons for not upgrading, plus they're paying the higher price for the Pro version, so it makes sense they would be given the option to downgrade. I guess the consumer non-pro versions are on their own.

So em24, what version of Windows 8 do you have? Do you have the Pro version? Go to Control Panel and click/run the "System" applet.

I just have windows 8
m
0
l