Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

questions about overclocking Sapphire HD 7870 XT

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 31, 2013 7:06:47 AM

hey guys, I'm new in overclocking .. my 7870 XT core clock is at 925Mhz and boost till 975..i want to overclock it to 1100Mhz..will i have to increase my core voltage too? someone told me don't come near to it ..my core voltage is at 1188.. and would the overclock to 1100 give me more good FPS?.
hope you guide me because i didn't overclocked a GPU before, and i want to know the right steps

Best solution

February 7, 2014 2:47:49 PM

No you do not need to mess with core voltage. Use MSI Afterburner and increase core clock to 1100. LEAVE MEMORY CLOCK AT 1500. In MSI afterburner settings, make sure you have the following checked: extend official overclocking limits, disable ULPS and make sure unofficial overclocking mode is "without powerpleay support". You can OC way more than 1100 though. I regularly play games OC to 1200, just fan is loud.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7733364
Share
February 8, 2014 6:12:33 AM

jimbo02816 said:
No you do not need to mess with core voltage. Use MSI Afterburner and increase core clock to 1100. LEAVE MEMORY CLOCK AT 1500. In MSI afterburner settings, make sure you have the following checked: extend official overclocking limits, disable ULPS and make sure unofficial overclocking mode is "without powerpleay support". You can OC way more than 1100 though. I regularly play games OC to 1200, just fan is loud.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7733364


thank you very much..one more thing, after Oc'ing to 1100, does it worth it upgrading from 7870 XT to GTX 770 or R9 280x after a while?..
another last thing.. will i let the power limit at 10% in all cases? i mean whether if i overclocked to 1000Mhz or 1100Mhz, i make the power limit at 10% in both cases?
m
0
l
Related resources
February 8, 2014 4:15:36 PM

whiteknights said:
jimbo02816 said:
No you do not need to mess with core voltage. Use MSI Afterburner and increase core clock to 1100. LEAVE MEMORY CLOCK AT 1500. In MSI afterburner settings, make sure you have the following checked: extend official overclocking limits, disable ULPS and make sure unofficial overclocking mode is "without powerpleay support". You can OC way more than 1100 though. I regularly play games OC to 1200, just fan is loud.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7733364


thank you very much..one more thing, after Oc'ing to 1100, does it worth it upgrading from 7870 XT to GTX 770 or R9 280x after a while?..
another last thing.. will i let the power limit at 10% in all cases? i mean whether if i overclocked to 1000Mhz or 1100Mhz, i make the power limit at 10% in both cases?


You can never stay ahead of the technology because it changes daily. Your computer with crossfired 7870 XT should be good for at least the next 2 years. Will it be top of the line? No...but it will run any game at 1928x1080 on max settings. I'm keeping mine for at least 2 probably 3 years before I upgrade.
m
0
l
February 8, 2014 4:16:29 PM

As for the power limit put it at 20 and keep it there.
m
0
l
February 9, 2014 6:40:37 AM

jimbo02816 said:
whiteknights said:
jimbo02816 said:
No you do not need to mess with core voltage. Use MSI Afterburner and increase core clock to 1100. LEAVE MEMORY CLOCK AT 1500. In MSI afterburner settings, make sure you have the following checked: extend official overclocking limits, disable ULPS and make sure unofficial overclocking mode is "without powerpleay support". You can OC way more than 1100 though. I regularly play games OC to 1200, just fan is loud.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7733364


thank you very much..one more thing, after Oc'ing to 1100, does it worth it upgrading from 7870 XT to GTX 770 or R9 280x after a while?..
another last thing.. will i let the power limit at 10% in all cases? i mean whether if i overclocked to 1000Mhz or 1100Mhz, i make the power limit at 10% in both cases?


You can never stay ahead of the technology because it changes daily. Your computer with crossfired 7870 XT should be good for at least the next 2 years. Will it be top of the line? No...but it will run any game at 1928x1080 on max settings. I'm keeping mine for at least 2 probably 3 years before I upgrade.


thanks for your help..you mean that you are keeping your single 7870 XT for atleast 2 years, or you have crossfired 7870 XT already ? ..i thought the single 7870 XT Oc'ed will run games for the next 2 years :( 
m
0
l
!