Bought windows 8.1 online for new build....now what?

Hey! So i bought windows 8.1 pro (student) for my new build. I'm planning to install it via USB...but honestly don't know what to do... I downloaded a file called WindowsSetupBox.exe but i'm on a mac so i can't open it. I know i need to download the iso onto the usb but where is the ISO? please help

HAPPY new years btw!
13 answers Last reply
More about bought windows online build
  1. nicolaszu said:
    Hey! So i bought windows 8.1 pro (student) for my new build. I'm planning to install it via USB...but honestly don't know what to do... I downloaded a file called WindowsSetupBox.exe but i'm on a mac so i can't open it. I know i need to download the iso onto the usb but where is the ISO? please help

    HAPPY new years btw!


    The ISO is wherever you downloaded it to on your MAC.

    I suggest copying that to a flashdrive and transferring to a Windows PC.
    Use the Microsoft tool to create a bootable USB or DVD
    http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool
  2. I bought the key but i don't see the ISO...where do i download it from?
  3. In order to do this you need a Windows PC to start with. The tools Microsoft included on the SAME webpage you downloaded the image from work ONLY on Windows OS. I would suggest you proceed in that direction.
  4. nicolaszu said:
    I bought the key but i don't see the ISO...where do i download it from?


    Bought from where?
  5. Tom Tancredi said:
    In order to do this you need a Windows PC to start with. The tools Microsoft included on the SAME webpage you downloaded the image from work ONLY on Windows OS. I would suggest you proceed in that direction.


    But i don't have another windows pc, any other options?
  6. USAFRet said:
    nicolaszu said:
    I bought the key but i don't see the ISO...where do i download it from?


    Bought from where?


    From microsoft shop (online)
  7. nicolaszu said:
    USAFRet said:
    nicolaszu said:
    I bought the key but i don't see the ISO...where do i download it from?


    Bought from where?


    From microsoft shop (online)


    Then there should have been a link to start the download/install process. But that will almost certainly only work from a PC currently running Windows.
    Early in the process....there will be an option to 'Install Later'. Giving you the option of downloading the full ISO or burning that to a DVD.
  8. nicolaszu said:
    Tom Tancredi said:
    In order to do this you need a Windows PC to start with. The tools Microsoft included on the SAME webpage you downloaded the image from work ONLY on Windows OS. I would suggest you proceed in that direction.


    But i don't have another windows pc, any other options?


    Go to your public library? Borrow a friends? As a family member? There is no other 'options'
  9. USAFRet said:
    nicolaszu said:
    USAFRet said:
    nicolaszu said:
    I bought the key but i don't see the ISO...where do i download it from?


    Bought from where?


    From microsoft shop (online)


    Then there should have been a link to start the download/install process. But that will almost certainly only work from a PC currently running Windows.
    Early in the process....there will be an option to 'Install Later'. Giving you the option of downloading the full ISO or burning that to a DVD.


    Ok so what do you recommend i do?
  10. nicolaszu said:
    USAFRet said:
    nicolaszu said:
    USAFRet said:
    nicolaszu said:
    I bought the key but i don't see the ISO...where do i download it from?


    Bought from where?


    From microsoft shop (online)


    Then there should have been a link to start the download/install process. But that will almost certainly only work from a PC currently running Windows.
    Early in the process....there will be an option to 'Install Later'. Giving you the option of downloading the full ISO or burning that to a DVD.


    Ok so what do you recommend i do?


    Find/borrow a Windows PC.
  11. USAFRet said:
    nicolaszu said:
    USAFRet said:
    nicolaszu said:
    USAFRet said:
    nicolaszu said:
    I bought the key but i don't see the ISO...where do i download it from?


    Bought from where?


    From microsoft shop (online)


    Then there should have been a link to start the download/install process. But that will almost certainly only work from a PC currently running Windows.
    Early in the process....there will be an option to 'Install Later'. Giving you the option of downloading the full ISO or burning that to a DVD.


    Ok so what do you recommend i do?


    Find/borrow a Windows PC.


    Could I download the ISO from a torrent site and use my product key?
  12. nicolaszu said:


    Could I download the ISO from a torrent site and use my product key?


    Do not do this.
    Yes, we know (think) you have purchased a valid license. But a torrent version is FAR more likely to contain malware than not.

    Do not do this.

    (Further discussion of torrent versions of the OS will be cut off completely)
  13. Ok I won't download it. Thanks for the warning
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 8 New Build