Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Graphics Card Issues: Alienware Aurora R4

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 31, 2013 11:54:16 AM

Hi,

Today I attempted to install a brand new GTX 770 graphics card into my system, replacing the 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 555 which I had originally installed in the system, the default graphics card. Having no experience with computers, I talked to a friend who gave me the correct cautions to acknowledge in terms of electrostatics.

I followed this official video on YouTube and took out my old graphics card and replaced it with my new one. When I launched the computer, the Alienware logo appeared (with the messages that you can press F2 or F12) before turning into a black screen with a flashing cursor/underscore (_) icon in the upper left corner. No keys worked.

I then tried to replace this with the original graphics card, which had the same issue - however I had noticed that the flashing cursor was sightly further from the top left corner than the other graphics card. Even though there was a difference, however, neither worked.

Since the system has two PCI Express slots, I took out the screws for the metal that blocked the second and tried to move the GPU over. Still, I was receiving the same error.

Having looked it up, some people said that they had the same issue (on the YouTube comments for the linked video above), as well as on varied technical support forums. A response to this was that the motherboard had perhaps blown. To test this logic, I took the charger for my mobile phone and plugged it into a USB port on the computer.. the phone began charging.

The BIOS doesn't seem to load, I've tried the keys so many times. I've contacted ASUS, who made the graphics card, but they didn't seem to know either. When the computer turns on, I will press the F12 key which corresponds to the BIOS menu - it will light up white on the screen before the screen, once again, turns black and an underscore begins flashing.

My theory is that the graphics card(s) have both been placed incorrectly by myself, which is what is causing this. I had removed and re-inserted the RAM sticks after having a friend help me, but the issue is still the same. What is the possibility of a misplacement causing this, else - is there a broken part on my computer?

Thanks.

--

Details about the system prior to this:

Intel Core i7-3820 (Four Core, 10MB Cache) 3.60GHz
Alienware Aurora : Matte Black 875W Chassis
Memory : 8192MB (4x2GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Quad Channel
Hard Drive : 1TB SATA 6Gb/s (7200RPM) 32MB Cache
Graphics : 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 555
Operating System : English Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium (64 BIT)
December 31, 2013 12:06:43 PM

Does the motherboard have a built in graphics display, like the Intel HD? If the board has a graphics port, when you removed the old card, the Bios would have automatically switched to the on board video. If you plug your monitor into the built in video port, it is most likely you will see the bios. You could then set the bios to use the PCIe card instead, shut down, plug monitor onto new card it should work then.
December 31, 2013 12:14:04 PM

warezme said:
Does the motherboard have a built in graphics display, like the Intel HD? If the board has a graphics port, when you removed the old card, the Bios would have automatically switched to the on board video. If you plug your monitor into the built in video port, it is most likely you will see the bios. You could then set the bios to use the PCIe card instead, shut down, plug monitor onto new card it should work then.


Hi,

As far as I am aware: my computer does not have integrated graphics.

Thanks.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2013 12:15:16 PM

Hi,

I would not worry about electrostatic.

Did you plugin the extra power needed for the card ?



Also, if you computer is 3 year old or older, you might need to update the BIOS. The current BIOS you have might not support it. Goto Alienware website and inquire on that. But really only do that on last resort.

Did you try to reset your BIOS ?

December 31, 2013 12:19:53 PM

dextermat said:
Hi,

I would not worry about electrostatic.

Did you plugin the extra power needed for the card ?



Also, if you computer is 3 year old or older, you might need to update the BIOS. The current BIOS you have might not support it. Goto Alienware website and inquire on that. But really only do that on last resort.

Did you try to reset your BIOS ?



Thank you for the response,

I have pluged in the extra power required by the GTX 770, but have not (as of yet, anyway) updated the BIOS. As I say, when I press 'F12' on the boot screen, the option changes colour to indicate that the computer is aware that the input has been made. However, it is followed by - once again - a black screen with a flashing underscore.

Not sure if it's relevant, but:
When the logo appears, nothing happens. Once the logo disappears and a black screen is shown, a beep sound is made (once) by the computer, which it always does, to indicate that it's on. It's at this point that the LED lights either side of the case turn on.

Thanks.

Best solution

January 5, 2014 10:03:59 AM
Share

Rees said:
warezme said:
Does the motherboard have a built in graphics display, like the Intel HD? If the board has a graphics port, when you removed the old card, the Bios would have automatically switched to the on board video. If you plug your monitor into the built in video port, it is most likely you will see the bios. You could then set the bios to use the PCIe card instead, shut down, plug monitor onto new card it should work then.


Hi,

As far as I am aware: my computer does not have integrated graphics.

Thanks.


Did you first uninstall all the nvidea drivers for the old graphics card before replacing the graphics card? This should be the first step before installing a new graphics card, so you don't get any conflicts. After installing the new graphics card then go to the manufacturer website and download the correct drivers for your new graphics card.

If you didn't do this then it is probably the reason you are having conflicts with your new graphics card.

March 7, 2014 3:21:41 PM

I had the same problem, and the solution is a BIOS update. However Dell does not make it easy to locate the current drivers for your system. if your BIOS is v.A03 you will have to update to v.A05 before you can get to load the current v.A11. Worked for me just make sure the drivers are for the R4. My card is up and running with no issues following the BIOS updates.

P.S. I'm running the GTX770 with the exact same specs as your post
!