Solved

FX-8350 with CM Hyper 212 Plus Temps

Tags:
  • Thermal Compound
  • Speed
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
December 31, 2013 5:12:01 PM

Hi. I was just wondering if these temps for my FX-8350 (stock speed) with a CM Hyper 212 Plus seemed okay. I thought they were on the high side. 30-35C idle. And a max of 57C on Prime95. But what freaked me out is when I was playing BF4, it went to 60C. I dont know why, it only did it for one game and it scared me. So, tell me how these temps sound and if I need to reapply my thermal paste. BTW, the CPU is NOT overclocked and is a stock speed.

More about : 8350 hyper 212 temps

a c 191 à CPUs
December 31, 2013 5:17:44 PM

robbie915 said:
Hi. I was just wondering if these temps for my FX-8350 (stock speed) with a CM Hyper 212 Plus seemed okay. I thought they were on the high side. 30-35C idle. And a max of 57C on Prime95. But what freaked me out is when I was playing BF4, it went to 60C. I dont know why, it only did it for one game and it scared me. So, tell me how these temps sound and if I need to reapply my thermal paste. BTW, the CPU is NOT overclocked and is a stock speed.

Sounds perfectly fine to me.
m
l
a c 149 à CPUs
December 31, 2013 8:01:49 PM

What temperature monitoring program are you using?
m
l
Related resources
January 1, 2014 8:48:24 PM

Calculatron said:
What temperature monitoring program are you using?
Hi, sorry for not posting eariler, but I am using Speedfan and HWMonitor and they tell me the same thing on both.

m
l
a c 149 à CPUs
January 2, 2014 11:47:05 AM

Try CoreTemp, or AMD Overdrive, if you have a Radeon-based GPU, and cross-reference. You want to make sure you are looking at the CPU Core temperatures, not just the CPU Socket temperatures.
m
l
a c 149 à CPUs
January 2, 2014 11:47:47 AM

Try CoreTemp, or AMD Overdrive, if you have a Radeon-based GPU, and cross-reference. You want to make sure you are looking at the CPU Core temperatures, not just the CPU Socket temperatures.
m
l
January 2, 2014 5:08:17 PM

Calculatron said:

ok, so i downloaded coretemp, this is what i got. should i listen to the speedfan at 33C, or CoreTemp at 17C, i think. i am not sure which one is right, i just want to know if these temperatures look alright to you. but the 17C sounds a little too good to be true, meaning it sounds too cold using my CM Hyper 212. and i dont completely understand coretemp, i know the tj max is like the max temp the cpu can go to, but why does it say CPU #0 is 17C, is that the correct temp I should be looking at?
And thanks so much Calculatron for all your help so far! :) 
**********Here is the link to the picture http://s28.postimg.org/bqrpmtunh/Capture.png
Thanks again!
m
l
a c 149 à CPUs
January 2, 2014 5:38:57 PM

You were at idle when you took that pic. Get a good gaming session in, and leave both programs in the background while doing so, or download Prime95 and let it run for at least 15 minutes and see what they say then. It'll probably be around 50C, give or take.

CPU Core temperatures are funny things to read, because they are fed through a type of weighted equation. They're great and accurate for at-load temperatures, but often read below ambient when at idle. CPU Socket temperatures are vice-verse, and often read 5-15C higher than core temperatures when at load.
m
l
January 2, 2014 6:19:02 PM

Calculatron said:
You were at idle when you took that pic. Get a good gaming session in, and leave both programs in the background while doing so, or download Prime95 and let it run for at least 15 minutes and see what they say then. It'll probably be around 50C, give or take.

CPU Core temperatures are funny things to read, because they are fed through a type of weighted equation. They're great and accurate for at-load temperatures, but often read below ambient when at idle. CPU Socket temperatures are vice-verse, and often read 5-15C higher than core temperatures when at load.

ok, so i ran prime95 for 15 minutes, and i will link the resulting picture below. im not sure if it helps, but i opened by window because it was getting a little warm inside, and that alone seemed to bring down the temps a little bit, considering outside its around 15 degrees fahrenheit. but here are the results: http://s29.postimg.org/gbrpuiv07/Capture234125.png. but how does it look, because i am not sure which ones are the core temps or socket temps and dont know what is more important and how cool they should run, i am just asking for your help which you are providing me and for that i thank you deeply.
m
l
a c 149 à CPUs
January 2, 2014 9:09:53 PM

Well, like said in my above post, CPU Core temperatures often display below-ambient temperatures when you are idling. CPU Socket temperatures will be roughly 5-10C above ambient.

For when worrying if your computer is running too hot, CPU Core temperatures, when at maximum load, are what concern you.

That said, CoreTemp and HWMonitor seem to be on the same page with the CPU Core temperature readings. They are similar to one another with their minimum temperatures, are reading similar current temperatures, and HWMonitor decided to bork at maximum temperatures - don't worry, that can happen a lot when you have multiple temperature reading programs open at the same time.
m
l
January 3, 2014 7:29:19 AM

Calculatron said:
Well, like said in my above post, CPU Core temperatures often display below-ambient temperatures when you are idling. CPU Socket temperatures will be roughly 5-10C above ambient.

For when worrying if your computer is running too hot, CPU Core temperatures, when at maximum load, are what concern you.

That said, CoreTemp and HWMonitor seem to be on the same page with the CPU Core temperature readings. They are similar to one another with their minimum temperatures, are reading similar current temperatures, and HWMonitor decided to bork at maximum temperatures - don't worry, that can happen a lot when you have multiple temperature reading programs open at the same time.

So just to be sure, the temperature that CoreTemp is giving me and HWMonitor under "Package" are the core temps? So are these temperature good, and the temperature SpeedFan gives me is the socket temperature. So are these temperatures good?
m
l

Best solution

a c 149 à CPUs
January 3, 2014 10:45:07 AM

Yep. Your temperatures are well within specifications.

If you want to really put it to the test, run Prime95 for a couple hours, and be sure to keep track of the ambient temperatures. This will allow time for the temperature inside your case to normalize, as well as the temperature inside your room. (Also be sure to start it at around noon, or what the day starts to approach its warmest point.)
!