1920 x 1200 does gaming stretch verticly

raknarius

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I was told by a very knowlegable guy that for gaming I don't want a 16:10 monitor if im using it primarily for gaming because games don't stretch verticly , does that mean ill have black on the bottom and top, I thought most games you could set most resolutions.

I thought I would get 20 percent more pixels so im getting a better image, but im not sure now.

Solution

Not really. It does give 120 x 1920 more pixels. It changes the aspect ratio. Depending on the type of game, you may prefer one aspect ratio to another. I prefer 1080p for 1st person games, so you get a wider view area. But for RTS's, I would prefer more height, though Starcraft II shrinks your horizontal view area with a 1920x1200 resolution.
The vast majority of games will simply allow you to select 1920x1200 as the resolution, and depending on the game, it will either give you extra viewing area at the top and bottom, or it will shrink the viewing area on the sides.

In the few games which don't support 1920x1200 (The incredible adventures of Van Helsing for example), you can turn off scaling on your monitor and video card, which will simply show black bars at the top and bottom of the screen, giving you a 1080p experience at the proper aspect ratio.

Here's an example of how to set things up:

Example #1: Video Control Panel

a) Scale by GPU, and
b) Scale by Aspect

This method scales on the graphics card and also correct the ratio for games that can't scale properly (mostly older 4x3 games).

The SAME thing can be done on the monitor itself. In which case it's

a) Scale by MONITOR (video control panel), and

b) Scale by ASPECT (monitor settings).

Summary:
Provided you have things set up as above you'll have no issues. Stretching ONLY happens if you don't have "scale by aspect" enabled.

Not really. It does give 120 x 1920 more pixels. It changes the aspect ratio. Depending on the type of game, you may prefer one aspect ratio to another. I prefer 1080p for 1st person games, so you get a wider view area. But for RTS's, I would prefer more height, though Starcraft II shrinks your horizontal view area with a 1920x1200 resolution.

Solution

raknarius

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
"Asus makes the best option for IPS 1200p with snappy response time designed for the gamer. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... . Keep in mind, 1200p is designed for graphic artists because with the 16:10 aspect ratio you can view the monitor in portrait. For gaming 1080p or 1440p is better because games are optimized for 16:9 aspect ratios and image does not get stretched vertically. Just things to take into concern for your general use. Hope this helped :) " by tmacg55

If you run SC2 at 1920x1080 with "scale by aspect" applied correctly you'll see more to the SIDES but with the expense of black bars on the top and bottom, a sacrifice many probably would make.

I understand why they'd want to standardize the VERTICAL height for a game like this.

All you have to do is choose 1080p and turn scaling off. Scale by aspect is only useful if you are using a resolution that needs to be increased or shrunk in both directions.

My point being, different aspect ratios may be preferable depending on the game.

TRENDING THREADS