Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

1600x900 IPS monitor or 1080p TN monitor?

Tags:
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 1, 2014 10:33:43 AM

Both are the same price. I want to use it for gaming and CAD work.

IPS:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B332A24/ref=oh_deta...

1080p
http://www.amazon.com/Acer-S220HQL-Abd-21-5-Inch-Widesc...

What do you all think?
January 1, 2014 10:41:15 AM

I'd go with the ips, 1. You'll get more natural colors. 2. You'll be able to run games at better performance due to the less demanding resolution. 3. They're small screens, 900> 1080p won't be that noticeable and the fact that it's ips may even offer the edge in clarity to make up for it.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 1, 2014 10:42:00 AM

Get the second one. It has a better response time (5ms, the other has 7ms). That's good for gaming. It also has a higher resolution (good in gaming and CAD).

The first monitor will be better for playing movies, but you didn't mention that as a priority.
m
0
l
January 1, 2014 10:49:49 AM

And also depending on your graphics card, let's say it can't reach 1080p on ultra settings with 60fps, and you get 30. But in 900p you can get a smooth 60 on ultra, it doesn't matter that 900p ultra 60fps is going to look waaaaaay better than a 1080p running 30fps on ultra. 60 fps is a must IMO, more than resolution.
m
0
l
January 1, 2014 11:08:23 AM

Jgriff said:
And also depending on your graphics card, let's say it can't reach 1080p on ultra settings with 60fps, and you get 30. But in 900p you can get a smooth 60 on ultra, it doesn't matter that 900p ultra 60fps is going to look waaaaaay better than a 1080p running 30fps on ultra. 60 fps is a must IMO, more than resolution.


That was my logic for going with the IPS as well. I prefer solid framerates over seeing every little detail. And I'd like to use the screen to watch movies too so the color accuracy would come in handy there. As far as response times, I think that the 5ms on the 1080p is GtG anyway and won't even be noticeable since I'm not planning on playing any twitch shooters or even competitively.
m
0
l

Best solution

January 1, 2014 11:19:01 AM

Sure you can't scrape up the extra 50 for this? That way you'll have 1080p there for the games you can handle at 60fps, while being able to lower the Rez if you can't. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009F1HUMQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1...
Share
January 1, 2014 11:24:19 AM

Jgriff said:
Sure you can't scrape up the extra 50 for this? That way you'll have 1080p there for the games you can handle at 60fps, while being able to lower the Rez if you can't. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009F1HUMQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1...


As far as lowering the res, I thought it was bad to not play at the monitor's native res.
m
0
l
January 1, 2014 11:30:44 AM

? hmmm, never heard that...idk I game on a led tv, not sure if that makes a difference but I change my resolution in some games, doesnt seem to hurt anything lol.
m
0
l
January 1, 2014 11:35:35 AM

Jgriff said:
? hmmm, never heard that...idk I game on a led tv, not sure if that makes a difference but I change my resolution in some games, doesnt seem to hurt anything lol.


Well, I just might buy that TV lol or look for one similar. Thanks. This way I get the best of both worlds and I think this will be good for a long time.
m
0
l
January 1, 2014 1:39:37 PM

No problem, and yeah it does degrade quality a bit when not playing in the native res, but it's not drastic, I did a search and it looks like a lot of people saying it makes things horrible, Either my tv/gpu has a really good upscaler in it. (It's a samsung 6300 and gtx 760) or people are real nit picky. Either way I think youll like that viewsonic, Ive seen it in person, it has a nice matte screen so no problems with reflections and the colors are spot on. If I were in the market for a monitor thatd be the one.
m
0
l
!