Solved Closed

Make USB 2.0 printer work with USB 3.0

have an HP Office Jet K80 that won't work with my new Envy. I understand it is because of the USB 3.0 ports. How can I make this USB 2.0 printer work with USB 3.0 ports?
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about make usb printer work usb
  1. A USB 2.0 cable will work on a USB 3.0 port. A USB 2.0 device will work in a USB 3.0 port as long as you use a USB 2.0 cable.
  2. have you installed the drivers?
    USB3 is fully backwards compatible with USB2
  3. danny2000 said:
    A USB 2.0 cable will work on a USB 3.0 port. A USB 2.0 device will work in a USB 3.0 port as long as you use a USB 2.0 cable.
  4. Well, that's the standard line, but I'm telling you that I plugged my K80 printer from my old Pavillion (USB 2.0) to my new Envy (USB 3.0) and it won't recognize the printer. Troubleshooter tells me it is because it is a 2.0 device. More help?
  5. If you have anything else plugged into the USB 3.0 ports, unplug them, and then try installing the printer drivers again.

    Also, did you check in Device Manager to ensure that everything is installed correctly and that there aren't any yellow !! ?
  6. Also, make sure that you download the correct drivers for your o/s and ensure you use the correct 32-bit or 54-bit driver. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=za&dlc=en&lc=en&os=228&product=61563&softwareitem=oj-6105-3&
  7. Also, usually with USB printers, you need to install the drivers FIRST, and then the software will tell you when to plug in the printer; If you don't do it this way, it will often not install correctly.
  8. danny2000 said:
    If you have anything else plugged into the USB 3.0 ports, unplug them, and then try installing the printer drivers again.

    Also, did you check in Device Manager to ensure that everything is installed correctly and that there aren't any yellow !! ?
  9. HP Tech Service said that the K80 is not compatible with Windows 8 (which really means they didn't bother to write a driver for it because they want to obsolete it. Thanks for the help.
  10. Best answer
    rguercio said:
    HP Tech Service said that the K80 is not compatible with Windows 8 (which really means they didn't bother to write a driver for it because they want to obsolete it. Thanks for the help.


    Did you try this utility from HP? http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4158&lc=en&cc=za&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=61563#N177
  11. danny2000 said:
    rguercio said:
    HP Tech Service said that the K80 is not compatible with Windows 8 (which really means they didn't bother to write a driver for it because they want to obsolete it. Thanks for the help.


    Did you try this utility from HP? http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4158&lc=en&cc=za&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=61563#N177
  12. Yes, that worked. Surprised HP didn't mention it! They just said it was incompatible.
  13. :) Happy new year.
  14. Another possible solution would be to get a USB 2.0 female plug(goes on motherboard USB 2.0 header)to USB 3.0 male (plugs into the female end of the USB 3.0 Cable of the USB 3.0 Port) adapter for the 3.0 port that you want to connect the the printer to.
  15. I had the same problem with my HP Scanjet 7000. Nothing worked.
    So I took out an old USB 2.0 hub and plugged it into my USB 3.0 port.
    Now I plugged my scanner into the USB 2.0 hub port and....
    Eurica!


    Windows 8.1 suddenly found my scanner and installed it with no problems!!!!! Yea!!
  16. TopFloridian said:
    I had the same problem with my HP Scanjet 7000. Nothing worked.
    So I took out an old USB 2.0 hub and plugged it into my USB 3.0 port.
    Now I plugged my scanner into the USB 2.0 hub port and....
    Eurica!


    Windows 8.1 suddenly found my scanner and installed it with no problems!!!!! Yea!!
  17. TopFloridian;that is a great solution. I don't have Windows *,infact myguru advised against it. I am running Windows 7 on two desktops ,and 2 laptops, and Vista on 2 desktops.I know there are USB pCI cards available also as a possible solution.
Ask a new question

Read More

Peripherals USB3 Hewlett Packard USB Printers