Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Can't connect to servers, can surf the web

Tags:
  • Connection
  • Browsers
  • Networking
  • Servers
Last response: in Networking
Share
January 2, 2014 7:38:27 AM

Recently my computer haven't been able to connect to gaming/Internet browser servers like: League of legends, Steam, Hearthstone, Aqworlds, etc, Facebook and Hotmail works fine, I can download things from the browsers but not with Utorrent probably because it's using servers...

When i go on my parents computers and try to login on the browser gaming servers that wont work either so I'm pretty sure that there is a problem with our Wi-Fi. Servers work at my friends house miles away. i can play just fine there login to servers and everything. I have allready tryd restarting my router but it diden't work. Thanks in advance for solutions! : )

More about : connect servers surf web

January 2, 2014 7:42:42 AM

When you go to Facebook, Hotmail or virtually anything else, and you "log in", you are connecting to a server....

There may be something in your firewall or router that is blocking TCP ports 6881 - 6999 so that Torrent Client/Server connections are not possible.
m
0
l
January 2, 2014 7:46:00 AM

ronintexas said:
When you go to Facebook, Hotmail or virtually anything else, and you "log in", you are connecting to a server....

There may be something in your firewall or router that is blocking TCP ports 6881 - 6999 so that Torrent Client/Server connections are not possible.
I will try to deactivate my Windows fire wall and see if it works.

m
0
l
Related resources
January 2, 2014 7:56:05 AM

ronintexas said:
When you go to Facebook, Hotmail or virtually anything else, and you "log in", you are connecting to a server....

There may be something in your firewall or router that is blocking TCP ports 6881 - 6999 so that Torrent Client/Server connections are not possible.
I tryd to login to League of legends and Aqworlds but on lol i got Connection error and on aqw it is just trying to connect but nothing happens, btw i had my Avg firewall on not the Windows firewall!

m
0
l
January 2, 2014 8:00:53 AM

Any firewall in use (whether hardware like a router, or software like Windows or AVG), by default blocks a lot of ports that would need to be manually configured to be allowed.

Required Ports:

Each of these ports must be forwarded for League of Legends to operate properly.

5000 - 5500 UDP - League of Legends Game Client
8393 - 8400 TCP - Patcher and Maestro
2099 TCP - PVP.Net
5223 TCP - PVP.Net
5222 TCP - PVP.Net
80 TCP - HTTP Connections
443 TCP - HTTPS Connections
8088 Spectator Mode

Not sure if the ports are configured correctly? Try this:

1) Go to http://www.ismyportblocked.com/?pc=lol

2) Click on Start Test

3) Wait for the test to complete. It can take up to half an hour, so please be patient :) 

4) Check the test result - it should tell you if the correct ports are open or not.

Not sure how to forward ports? Check out our detailed guide.
m
0
l
January 2, 2014 8:05:23 AM

ronintexas said:
Any firewall in use (whether hardware like a router, or software like Windows or AVG), by default blocks a lot of ports that would need to be manually configured to be allowed.

Required Ports:

Each of these ports must be forwarded for League of Legends to operate properly.

5000 - 5500 UDP - League of Legends Game Client
8393 - 8400 TCP - Patcher and Maestro
2099 TCP - PVP.Net
5223 TCP - PVP.Net
5222 TCP - PVP.Net
80 TCP - HTTP Connections
443 TCP - HTTPS Connections
8088 Spectator Mode

Not sure if the ports are configured correctly? Try this:

1) Go to http://www.ismyportblocked.com/?pc=lol

2) Click on Start Test

3) Wait for the test to complete. It can take up to half an hour, so please be patient :) 

4) Check the test result - it should tell you if the correct ports are open or not.

Not sure how to forward ports? Check out our detailed guide.
I get a Safety Warning do you know if it safe to run the program?

m
0
l
January 2, 2014 8:07:49 AM

It is safe to run that program. This is recommended from League of Legends.
m
0
l
January 2, 2014 9:43:03 AM

ronintexas said:
It is safe to run that program. This is recommended from League of Legends.

Summary: League Of Legends
The following 515 ports will be tested with a timeout value of 10 seconds
TCP: 80,443,2099,5222,5223,8088,8393-8400
UDP: 5000-5500





Result - FAILURE


Firebind has detected Oracle Corporation Java 1.7.0_45 for Windows 7 (x86)


100%
•Testing TCP Port: done

•TCP Passed: 80,443
•TCP Failed: 2099,5222-5223,8088,8393-8400 (click for details)


◦TCP Handshake Connection Timeout: 2099,5222-5223,8088,8393-8400 hover or click for more info







•Testing UDP Port: done


•UDP Failed: 5000-5500 (click for details)

◦UDP Payload Receive Timeout: 5000-5500 hover or click for more info






Test Completed Thu Jan 02 18:37:30 CET 2014 - Duration: 1 hour 28 minutes 20 seconds

m
0
l
January 2, 2014 9:59:29 AM

ronintexas said:
It is safe to run that program. This is recommended from League of Legends.
Where can i find the detailed guide about forwarding ports?

m
0
l
January 2, 2014 10:32:09 AM

Do you have any firewall(s) on your computer you can try turning off first (they may be set in your router as well - you need to find out where they are being blocked).
m
0
l
January 2, 2014 11:10:51 AM

ronintexas said:
Do you have any firewall(s) on your computer you can try turning off first (they may be set in your router as well - you need to find out where they are being blocked).
So you're saying that i should turn off my firewall(s) and then run the "http://www.ismyportblocked.com/?pc=lol" program?

And i have no idea how to remove the firewall(s) from the router so if you could please tell me how to remove the firewall(s) from the router then i would be greatful! :) 

m
0
l
January 2, 2014 12:47:33 PM

Try turning off the firewall on the PC first, and run the tests. If it passes, you know that the firewalls on the PC are causing the problem (you will need to configure each of the TCP port addresses in the firewall to let it through). Often, this is the easiest fix. Try this:
1) Uninstall the program - then turn on the firewall.
2) Install the program again - it should ask you to let the program "through" the firewall.

If it doesn't work, there should be an online manual to your modem (Google the modem make and model). There should be a web page that tells you how to disable these ports from being blocked by your router.

90% of the time, the PC is to blame - I have upgraded my anti-virus software before and it blocked access to games....
m
0
l
January 2, 2014 1:19:16 PM

ronintexas said:
Try turning off the firewall on the PC first, and run the tests. If it passes, you know that the firewalls on the PC are causing the problem (you will need to configure each of the TCP port addresses in the firewall to let it through). Often, this is the easiest fix. Try this:
1) Uninstall the program - then turn on the firewall.
2) Install the program again - it should ask you to let the program "through" the firewall.

If it doesn't work, there should be an online manual to your modem (Google the modem make and model). There should be a web page that tells you how to disable these ports from being blocked by your router.

90% of the time, the PC is to blame - I have upgraded my anti-virus software before and it blocked access to games....
I turned off my firewall and now I am running the http://www.ismyportblocked.com/?pc=lol program but the same failures still accrue like for example: TCP Failed: 2099,5222-5223,8088,8393-8400. so I guess I will have to search my Wi-Fi on the internet and find how to fix these ports.

At first I was home, and at that time the Connection errors were there. I packed my computer and went to my friends house. And as I have said Before it works fine there no Connection failures or anything like that and when I go back home again it doesn't work. so I don't think that it is the pc that is to blame this time! :) 

I thank you for all of your help I will be giving you a high grade and I will try to find the Modem manual and that stuff

THANK YOU!


m
0
l
January 2, 2014 2:13:13 PM

If you need help with the modem - let me know the make/model, and I can tell you where to look. Depending on who your internet service provider is, I have seen them lock down the ports to avoid gamers utilizing their bandwidth.....yet another reason for Google Fiber to be everywhere!
m
0
l
January 22, 2014 12:04:16 PM

ronintexas said:
If you need help with the modem - let me know the make/model, and I can tell you where to look. Depending on who your internet service provider is, I have seen them lock down the ports to avoid gamers utilizing their bandwidth.....yet another reason for Google Fiber to be everywhere!


Hi again! I have been trying to get the gaming servers work with my internet here at home. I forwarded the ports but they still won't open (My friend helped me). I tried running the: http://www.ismyportblocked.com/?pc=lol. program again and the results were the same, same errors and everything...

We even tried changing the internet cable input from the router to the modem but it is still impossible to connect to gaming servers.
m
0
l
January 22, 2014 12:06:01 PM

For a temporary fix - try turning off your firewall on your PC and see if you get the connection with the link above.
m
0
l
January 22, 2014 12:15:01 PM

ronintexas said:
For a temporary fix - try turning off your firewall on your PC and see if you get the connection with the link above.


•TCP Passed: 80,443
•TCP Failed: 2099,5222-5223,8088,8393-8400

Same as before, but I am just wondering if I turn off my AVG firewall do I then need to turn off the windows fire wall as well or is the windows firewall deactivated already after I have turned the AVG firewall of?
m
0
l
January 22, 2014 12:18:03 PM

Yes - both firewalls should be disabled for the test.
m
0
l
January 22, 2014 12:20:50 PM

ronintexas said:
Yes - both firewalls should be disabled for the test.


It doesn't work then.
m
0
l

Best solution

January 22, 2014 12:27:22 PM

There is something in the router setup then that is preventing connection. There will only be 2 sources that can cause this - a firewall on the computer or the firewall in your router.
Share
January 22, 2014 12:34:33 PM

ronintexas said:
There is something in the router setup then that is preventing connection. There will only be 2 sources that can cause this - a firewall on the computer or the firewall in your router.


accidently clicked on solved...

But so you cant change the internet cable from my computer to the router and instead have the internet cable go directly to the modem to see if that works without getting the errors?
m
0
l
January 22, 2014 12:53:03 PM

You can try going directly to the modem - both the modem and the router can have firewalls installed on them.
m
0
l
January 22, 2014 1:03:07 PM

ronintexas said:
You can try going directly to the modem - both the modem and the router can have firewalls installed on them.


How do I turn of the firewalls on the router/modem?
m
0
l
January 22, 2014 1:06:42 PM

what is the make/model of the router and modem?
m
0
l
January 22, 2014 1:21:46 PM

ronintexas said:
what is the make/model of the router and modem?


My router says: NETGEAR wireless-G Router WGR614 v9
And my Modem says: SurfinBird ADSL-E AirSIP
m
0
l
January 27, 2014 8:05:20 AM

With any router and cable modem - you will have to set it up for the game to work. It is a royal pain in the a**.
m
0
l
March 18, 2014 1:25:42 PM

I had same problem, i discovered that when my utorrent was on i cant connect. Also if my mother pc was on couldnt connect to game servers, she is using same wifi as i. So after many months i had a tought. My mother computer had utorrent on too every time her pc was turned on, so i turned her utorrent off and voila!!! I could connect to League of legends. It has to do something how utorrent uses wifi routers porting i think. I hope it helps.
m
0
l
April 13, 2014 12:37:03 PM

i turned off my firewall on router and also nothing i can,t connect to ps3 PSN my mom can,t connect to mail and i can,t connect to steam origin PLanetside 2 and BF4
m
0
l
April 14, 2014 3:43:24 AM

The problem its that you install a program and the proxy settings changed


to fix it you need to reset the setting
to reset your proxy settings yourself, follow these steps:

On Windows XP, click Start, or on Windows Vista or Windows 7, click the windows buttom, and then click Run.
In the Run text box, copy (CTRL+C) and paste (CTRL+V) or type the following:
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v ProxyEnable /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
Click OK.
And again On Windows XP, click Start , or on Windows Vista or Windows 7, click the windows buttom, and then click Run.
In the Run text box, copy (CTRL+C) and paste (CTRL+V) or type the following:
reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v ProxyServer /f
Click OK.
I had this problem today and i fixed it :D  hope its fix for u too
m
0
l
April 14, 2014 8:02:43 AM

i did it and it did nothing i saw cmd pop up so i did it right but it didn,t solve my problem it isn,t router base either i know that for sure
m
0
l
August 2, 2014 4:13:15 PM

I have got the same problem!

This just happened to me now... everything was perfect and has been for a long time and then as of tonight few moments ago I can't connect to anything... Mumble, TS3, Steam, EVE... prob more but I CAN browse internet and download things no problem....

The only thing I haven't tried from all solutions on the net is to check with my ISP.

its the strangest problem! also to note my laptop which also has all these programs and games that was also working 100% until now can't connect either to these programs and games... but it CAN browse and download from firefox. which tells me that its not something wrong with my desktop but more a router or ISP issue as I haven't touched my router in ages and all been good with no new things installed or funny changes at all!

This can only be weird happenings on router or your ISP has done something, OR your countries or area's internet is faulty....????

Very wierd. Hope someone can try think of something here

EDIT / UPDATE : I plugged my phone in and used the tethering on it to share the internet to my PC and everything works!
phoning my ISP tomorrow as its midnight now, It has to be the network backbone. perhaps the router but dont think so.
m
0
l
August 4, 2014 7:15:00 AM

This could be an DNS issue - Google DNS (I have used this for years) couldn't find www.epson.com (I was trying to download drivers), and I had to use OPEN DNS. Your ISP may have issues with DNS servers that are preventing you from connecting....
m
0
l
!