Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Can i transfer my iTunes music from old HD to new HD?

Tags:
  • iTunes
  • Music
  • Systems
  • HD
Last response: in Systems
Share
January 2, 2014 1:29:02 PM

I have my HD in my new pc. And my old pc HD has all my music on it.

Could i possibly hook that old HD into my new pc and transfer it? Will my new pc recognize the old HD?

More about : transfer itunes music

January 2, 2014 1:41:26 PM

Yes, you can plug the old hard drive into your new PC as long as it has the right connectors for it. Do you know if the old drive is IDE or SATA? Most new PCs don't have IDE connectors anymore. If that's the case, it's still possible, but will require something like an adapter or external HD enclosure.
m
0
l
January 2, 2014 2:07:02 PM

Yes its SATA :)  but the old HD has windows 7 on it. New HD is win 8. This wont cause a problem with having 2 different windows on it will it?
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

January 2, 2014 2:14:59 PM

No, you can plug the old HDD into your new PC. As long as the motherboard BIOS is still set to boot from your new HDD you will be fine. You can copy all your files to your new HDD as long as the HDD still works. Is the old computer functional? If so, another option may be to transfer files over a network.
Share
January 2, 2014 2:21:05 PM

You can do what shortstuff_mt recommended, but you do realize that all music purchased on iTunes is saved in the cloud, assuming you've been using the same account.
m
0
l
January 2, 2014 2:23:08 PM

AMD-FX said:
You can do what shortstuff_mt recommended, but you do realize that all music purchased on iTunes is saved in the cloud, assuming you've been using the same account.


Home sharing wont create a permanate backup. I never used the cloud. And the music is stuff i ripped from cds not the itunes store
m
0
l
January 2, 2014 2:25:05 PM

MDXX said:
AMD-FX said:
You can do what shortstuff_mt recommended, but you do realize that all music purchased on iTunes is saved in the cloud, assuming you've been using the same account.


Home sharing wont create a permanate backup. I never used the cloud. And the music is stuff i ripped from cds not the itunes store


Ah. Nevermind then. :) 
m
0
l
January 2, 2014 3:13:40 PM

Wow so i just got done. Idk why it went so fast but it took like 4 minuets to transfer 33gb of music. What determines how fast the files transfer?

CPU? The HDD Cache? or possibly becuase one of my HDD is Sata 6.0gbps?
m
0
l
January 2, 2014 3:27:39 PM

That sounds about right. With faster drives like an SSD the drives can be limited by the SATA speed, but spinning disks are usually limited by the disk technology itself. It's limited by how fast the drive can physically read the data from one drive and write it to another drive. A lot of spinning drives I've seen max out somewhere around 120MB/s. Data transfers between drives has very little to do with CPU speed. If you watch the CPU usage while transferring files you will see that the usage is pretty low. The HDD cache size can help a little depending on the size of the files you're transferring.

I'm glad you got your music transferred over. If your old PC isn't functional and you've copied all your important music/documents/pictures/etc... you could format the drive and leave it in your new PC as a backup drive.
m
0
l
January 2, 2014 3:56:45 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
That sounds about right. With faster drives like an SSD the drives can be limited by the SATA speed, but spinning disks are usually limited by the disk technology itself. It's limited by how fast the drive can physically read the data from one drive and write it to another drive. A lot of spinning drives I've seen max out somewhere around 120MB/s. Data transfers between drives has very little to do with CPU speed. If you watch the CPU usage while transferring files you will see that the usage is pretty low. The HDD cache size can help a little depending on the size of the files you're transferring.

I'm glad you got your music transferred over. If your old PC isn't functional and you've copied all your important music/documents/pictures/etc... you could format the drive and leave it in your new PC as a backup drive.


Everything on the old HDD is going to be formated here in a few hours. Im putting the old hdd back in my old pc and giving it to my dad as he doesnt have a computer. Would hate to see that pc go unused. Though its old and crappy.

Has a E5700 (boy i had to deal with that cpu for 3 years, SO BAD IMO) and i put in a hd6670
m
0
l
January 2, 2014 4:00:55 PM

MDXX said:
shortstuff_mt said:
That sounds about right. With faster drives like an SSD the drives can be limited by the SATA speed, but spinning disks are usually limited by the disk technology itself. It's limited by how fast the drive can physically read the data from one drive and write it to another drive. A lot of spinning drives I've seen max out somewhere around 120MB/s. Data transfers between drives has very little to do with CPU speed. If you watch the CPU usage while transferring files you will see that the usage is pretty low. The HDD cache size can help a little depending on the size of the files you're transferring.

I'm glad you got your music transferred over. If your old PC isn't functional and you've copied all your important music/documents/pictures/etc... you could format the drive and leave it in your new PC as a backup drive.


Everything on the old HDD is going to be formated here in a few hours. Im putting the old hdd back in my old pc and giving it to my dad as he doesnt have a computer. Would hate to see that pc go unused. Though its old and crappy.

Has a E5700 (boy i had to deal with that cpu for 3 years, SO BAD IMO) and i put in a hd6670


Sounds like a good way to get some more use out of your old machine and do something nice for your old man! I gave my old PC to my Mom when she started her own business. It's still plugging away and works great for her needs. :) 
m
0
l
January 2, 2014 4:03:07 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
MDXX said:
shortstuff_mt said:
That sounds about right. With faster drives like an SSD the drives can be limited by the SATA speed, but spinning disks are usually limited by the disk technology itself. It's limited by how fast the drive can physically read the data from one drive and write it to another drive. A lot of spinning drives I've seen max out somewhere around 120MB/s. Data transfers between drives has very little to do with CPU speed. If you watch the CPU usage while transferring files you will see that the usage is pretty low. The HDD cache size can help a little depending on the size of the files you're transferring.

I'm glad you got your music transferred over. If your old PC isn't functional and you've copied all your important music/documents/pictures/etc... you could format the drive and leave it in your new PC as a backup drive.


Everything on the old HDD is going to be formated here in a few hours. Im putting the old hdd back in my old pc and giving it to my dad as he doesnt have a computer. Would hate to see that pc go unused. Though its old and crappy.

Has a E5700 (boy i had to deal with that cpu for 3 years, SO BAD IMO) and i put in a hd6670


Sounds like a good way to get some more use out of your old machine and do something nice for your old man! I gave my old PC to my Mom when she started her own business. It's still plugging away and works great for her needs. :) 


Yeah! As long as the old machines arnt being used for heavy stuff itll work. But for anytype of games or file burning their just to slow lol
m
0
l
!