Solved

Best 120-170$ z87 motherboard for gaming/video editing

I'm Getting a i7-4770k.

I chose this as it seems the closest 'future proofing' processor for a 4 year gaming build, with video editing/encoding.

Today I'm deciding which board to purchase. I haven't been overclocking since the Pentium 4 and Athlon XP days so not sure if that's important to me now..but might be later which is another reason I chose the 'k' unlocked processor. That in mind..I've picked out a few motherboards that stand out to be rich with quality/features.
Im a big fan of MSI, Asus has been a major hit or a minor miss for me int he past 3 years, but i know they're quality..so here we go.

MSI
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130694

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130693

Asus
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131980

Maybe there is one that I'm missing? Looking for quality, long lasting, good service, quality, and features below the $120-$170. Let me know what you guys think, Thank you in advance
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 120 170 z87 motherboard gaming video editing
  1. ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157460
    3 pci-e Gen 3 slots ; sata iii,crossfire and sli support
  2. whitecat said:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157460
    3 pci-e Gen 3 slots ; sata iii,crossfire and sli support


    That's a pretty crazy value for that price point..am i getting anything from that board that im not getting with the others? visa versa?

    Also there seems to be a lot of people having problems with that board on the review/comments...
  3. Jedi Trasley said:
    whitecat said:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157460
    3 pci-e Gen 3 slots ; sata iii,crossfire and sli support


    That's a pretty crazy value for that price point..am i getting anything from that board that im not getting with the others? visa versa?


    they arnt PCI 3 x16... maybe pci 3 x16 x1 and the others are gen 2 x8/x4
  4. Its_Byte_00 said:
    Jedi Trasley said:
    whitecat said:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157460
    3 pci-e Gen 3 slots ; sata iii,crossfire and sli support


    That's a pretty crazy value for that price point..am i getting anything from that board that im not getting with the others? visa versa?


    they arnt PCI 3 x16... maybe pci 3 x16 x1 and the others are gen 2 x8/x4


    3 pci--е Gen 3 !
    And 4 of 5 stars , at newegg
  5. Best answer
    whitecat said:
    Its_Byte_00 said:
    Jedi Trasley said:
    whitecat said:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157460
    3 pci-e Gen 3 slots ; sata iii,crossfire and sli support


    That's a pretty crazy value for that price point..am i getting anything from that board that im not getting with the others? visa versa?


    they arnt PCI 3 x16... maybe pci 3 x16 x1 and the others are gen 2 x8/x4


    3 pci--е Gen 3 !
    And 4 of 5 stars , at newegg


    Ok. Let me restate this.

    It is impossible for any current cpu's at a consumer level to handel 3x Gen3 PCIe. My MSI GD-65 Can interchange what speed the PCIe slots run at, like setting PCI root 0 to be gen3 for a gaming gpu and PCI root 1 to Gen2 for a computer card.

    Also, Current Intel CPU's only support 1x x16 PCIe. So it is impossible to have 3x PCIe Gen3 Slots running at x16 without using at least dual Intel Xeon CPU's.

    Honestly, he should just go 2011 w/ 4930K, best $/P and not to mention 2011 seems to be the only real Intel Upgrade path...
Ask a new question

Read More

Video Editing Motherboards