1200$ Gaming PC/First build.

zaysk

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Good day, fellow forum-goers. I'd like to start this thread by stating that I only need help picking out the parts. I used to follow the PC hardware scene a few years ago, but lost Internet access for a while. It's only recently that I got a Nexus 4 to get back on the Internet, so my knowledge of the latest and greatest parts is sketchy, to say the least.

I have been planning to do this build for a few years now, so I've already done all my homework regarding how to properly assemble a PC from parts. I used to have a good knowledge of PC parts, but fell out of touch recently due to the aforementioned reasons. I'll be coming into a bit of money within a few weeks and so I decided I'm finally going to build a great gaming PC like I've wanted to for the last few years.

Approximate Purchase Date: 1 month maximum.

Budget Range: 1200$ for the PC itself. 4-500$ for monitor/KB/M.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, compiling Android ROMs from source, basic computer functions.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Do you need to buy OS: Yes. Windows 8.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg Canada

Parts Preferences: Whatever gets me the best performance for my money.

Overclocking: Yes.

SLI or Crossfire: No, maybe some time in the future but I feel it's not necessary for the games I want to play. If you have a suggestion for either that is relatively affordable, I'm open to hear about it.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1080p.

Additional Comments: I plan to mainly use my computer for gaming and compiling Android from source, so I will be dual-booting Windows and Ubuntu. The games I plan on getting right away are - Starcraft 2, Fallout:New Vegas, Skyrim, Mass effect 3, and whatever else catches my fancy on Steam. I plan on having both the gaming PC and an Xbox one at some point in the future for console exclusives but will most likely be doing the majority of my gaming on my PC.

I would at least like to be able to run the aforementioned games at ultra, with mods at a playable FPS. (30+)

Budget for the PC can be stretched a bit, but only if it means the difference between being able to play at ultra, or settling for high.

Solution
Recently bought a HAF-XM tower, Just follow your instruction manuals that come with your parts, the MSi ones I had were very step by step, and accurate complete with linked videos for certain steps, so you shouldn't need to go beyond what they tell you to do. In regards to the 770 vs 780, I have a 770 Lightning, and honestly if you have extra money get an SSD or a larger one if you already planned to get one, the 770 is above and beyond what is needed unless you get a 2560x1440 monitor, and even then it is still only going to see weakness in the most extreme of situations. (Think Battlefield 4 Ultra everything) Although that may be because it's a lightning, I don't know about a regular 770. I still can't stress enough how blown away...

zaysk

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Nvidia maxwell eh? Interesting. I can either get the new GPU or save some cash on a 770/80. If it comes out within the month, which I doubt.

Edit: Forgot to say that I'm using my phone for posting on these boards, as I currently have no computer. Please forgive the lack of a parts list in my OP, it would be extremely cumbersome/tedious to add in the links on my Nexus 4.

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/2uKUq
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/2uKUq/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/2uKUq/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.79 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.79 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($194.99 @ Memory Express)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($75.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($104.79 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ DirectCanada)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.69 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Memory Express)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($15.79 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $880.80
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-03 01:18 EST-0500)

zaysk

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Thanks a lot man, I appreciate your help! :) I would much prefer 12GB of RAM at the minimum as RAM helps a lot when compiling from source. Also, I would prefer an ATX Full Tower because I want two 1TB HDDs, one for Windows, the other for Ubuntu, as well as the SSD you listed for Windows and my most used applications.

You've given me a great outline, I appreciate it.

Edit: GPU recommendations? :)

Marcopolo123

Honorable
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.79 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.79 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Memory Express)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($132.59 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($104.79 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($359.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Memory Express)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) ($93.88 @ DirectCanada)
Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM 60Hz 24.0" Monitor ($199.99 @ Memory Express)
Keyboard: Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard ($71.31 @ DirectCanada)
Mouse: Razer Imperator 2012 Wired Laser Mouse ($69.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $1742.06
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-03 05:41 EST-0500)

zaysk

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Hey guys, so I bought the Cooler Master HAF-X and am very satisfied with my purchase. The rest of my money will be here in a week, then I'll be buying all the rest of my parts. I only have the case.

So I'd like to know if anybody here has experience building a PC using this case, if so how do you like it? How does it handle cooling? It seems to have a lot of fans already, should I add more, or use water cooling if I want to overclock my CPU? Not by a lot, just enough to get a little performance bump, it'll be a good experience for me to learn how to OC.

Finally, will an Intel core-i5 Haswell unlockable (4570k I believe?) and an Nvidia GTX 770 be enough to run games such as Diablo 3, Skyrim, Starcraft 2, and Fallout:NV at max settings with mods? (Where applicable) Would the 780 be a worthy upgrade, or will I be satisfied with the 770? (Yes, no one but me knows if I'll be satisfied but I'd like others opinions on the matter)

Thanks in advance!

Edit: just read in another thread that buying a case first and figuring out what parts to put in it is a bad idea.. Rookie mistake. At least I bought a premium case with tons of 5* reviews, it's massive and spacious (full tower) so I shouldn't have issues with space.

Jake Thorn

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
Recently bought a HAF-XM tower, Just follow your instruction manuals that come with your parts, the MSi ones I had were very step by step, and accurate complete with linked videos for certain steps, so you shouldn't need to go beyond what they tell you to do. In regards to the 770 vs 780, I have a 770 Lightning, and honestly if you have extra money get an SSD or a larger one if you already planned to get one, the 770 is above and beyond what is needed unless you get a 2560x1440 monitor, and even then it is still only going to see weakness in the most extreme of situations. (Think Battlefield 4 Ultra everything) Although that may be because it's a lightning, I don't know about a regular 770. I still can't stress enough how blown away with the 770 Lightning I am, with only your one monitor, it will be more than enough. As far as OC'ing, find a guide on Tom's for your CPU, I used the onboard OC'ing Genie for mine, as I don't need the OC personally, but there are some really good guides on here for getting the most out of your CPU, I was pointed to one initially, (I will find it in a minute), and it was pretty detailed. Just take it nice and slow, and do your overclocking from the BIOS, don't use software for CPU overclocks.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1722630/intel-god-quick-dirty-guide-4ghz-haswell.html
Use this if you end up going with a Haswell CPU. Which I would recomend, as it is only ~$30 more to move up from an ivybridge to haswell, and you get about a .4GHz difference for moving up with equivalent processors, ie: 3670k@3.4GHz = 4670k@3.0GHz.

Solution

zaysk

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Thank you very much, my good sir. I was thinking the same thing, the money I save on a 770 can go to other parts. I'll look for the 770 lightning in particular, it sounds like it'll meet all my needs for the moment, and for a time to come.

One final question, any recommendations on decent speakers for my computer? I'm not an audiophile, but I definitely enjoy quality sound from my games and music. I'm willing to spend around 2-250 for decent speakers, they don't have to be crazy good, just good for the price I want to pay.

Thanks everyone! :)

Jake Thorn

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
As far as speakers go, I'm not much of an expert, I personally run a second "monitor" (actually a Vizio T.V., an M260VA) and use its stock speakers, they are insanely loud, and the base is OK, so if you have the extra money, buying a T.V. might actually be something to consider, much cheaper than buying a second monitor separate, with speakers. Gives you another monitor to run command line in, or just use to browse the web while playing games. They were $400 when I bought it, but you could probably get one for cheaper now. The one complaint I actually have, and it is really funny actually, is that the speakers are so loud, there is only a couple volume options before it gets to be too loud for sitting at the computer, (at about 10 of 100). These are some examples:

http://store.vizio.com/e261va.html (Newer model of my version)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889262294 (Newegg option if you don't want to order from Vizio or don't mind a refurbished one for cheaper)

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M260VA-26-Inch-Class-RazorLED/dp/B003LL17HK (They don't sell my model new any more, but a used one if in good condition should work, but you may want to consider a newer TV)

If you do choose to go with just speakers, here are a couple options, but I can't comment as to the quality myself.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2408187,00.asp

http://turntablelab.com/products/audioengine-a2-powered-desktop-speakers-white-a2-w?ref=lexity&_vs=google&_vm=productsearch&adtype=pla&gclid=CMq8-8bwkLwCFctAMgod7RAAqw

Additionally, if you do get a lightning, be forewarned, that NVIDIA caps the overclock on the stock MSi Afterburner software, and you need to enter the second "LN2" BIOS to go beyond that, (along with a special version of afterburner you need to sign an NDA to get..... woops) Even with that said though, the overclock on the lightning can reach that of a stock 780 without the 2nd BIOS. It [strike]will destroy[/strike], will handle the TV along with your monitor if you choose to get one.

zaysk

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Hey guys, so it took a while longer than I would have liked... but I'm finally going to order my parts on my upcoming day-off (Tuesday!) and I just wanted to post here before purchasing anything to make sure my parts are compatible. I realize that pcpartpicker has a compatibility estimation, but nevertheless, I'd like to ask the experienced crowd here. :)

Here are my chosen parts -

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/37glP
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/37glP/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/37glP/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Memory Express)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($181.30 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.79 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card ($453.00 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: Cooler Master V700 700W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1488.81
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-10 01:51 EDT-0400)

Also, any recommendations on what thermal paste to purchase, or are they all about the same quality? May seem like a silly question, but I'd rather ask and know for sure, than guess and be wrong.

I will be purchasing my parts on Tuesday, I can't wait to get my parts and build it! My Cooler Master HAF-X has been sitting in my room waiting for that day to come. :) I haven't included the moniter, mouse etc because I just want to know if my main parts are going to be compatible with each other.

Thanks for your time guys.

Jake Thorn

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
If those are canadian prices, looks good, a nice price for the money, wish I could have gotten an i5-4670k for $250CAN. The HAF-x is an excellent case, I use the HAF-XM and with an MSi N770 Lightning, I can get 1350MHz with just the basic fan setup.
https://imageshack.com/i/4jf92tp
You should be able to get the same performance with your card and case.
Also would recommend a z87-gd65 from MSi, good motherboard for overclocking.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130692

EDIT: Hyper 212 Evo comes with thermal paste, its good in my own opinion, it's what I used.