Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Windows must now restart because the Plug and Play service terminated unexpectedly

Tags:
  • Windows
  • Plug And Play
  • Error Message
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
January 3, 2014 2:11:59 AM

Hello forum I've been encountering an error message this one : "Windows must now restart because the Plug and Play service terminated unexpectedly."

Every 30mins to 1 hour give or take. I first thought this was a virus or what not but I've done a FRESH Windows 7 64-bit install also formatted my hard drive.

I've been dealing with this for 3 days now...If anyone could help me with this issue I'd be GREATLY thankful!

More about : windows restart plug play service terminated unexpectedly

a b $ Windows 7
January 3, 2014 6:47:43 AM

look in the event viewer to see what errors show for that like a mouse or keyboard on usb can be a plug and play items .. so a usb controaler could be failing or needs driver updates ...
m
0
l
January 3, 2014 4:51:41 PM

junkeymonkey said:
look in the event viewer to see what errors show for that like a mouse or keyboard on usb can be a plug and play items .. so a usb controaler could be failing or needs driver updates ...


Im not sure how to check event viewer for such things. What would it show if a USB device was the issue?
m
0
l
Related resources
January 3, 2014 5:03:57 PM

junkeymonkey said:
should.. start with this and learn its use....

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/open-event-v...


I have my event viewer open already, but what Im asking is what error will I be looking for? I don't see anything that says anything about the plug and play service or anything. :/ 
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 3, 2014 5:21:15 PM

look for errors that repeat alot and check the details of that there should be a link to online help on them... also look at the problom report and soiutions to see if somthing is repeted there..
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 3, 2014 5:32:36 PM

i just think its a driver ,software or hardware error but finding witch one is the trick... what new hardware have you installed or drivers ?
m
0
l
January 3, 2014 6:37:25 PM

junkeymonkey said:
i just think its a driver ,software or hardware error but finding witch one is the trick... what new hardware have you installed or drivers ?


The latest thing I installed after I did the fresh install of windows was my Universal Serial Bus Controllers if i remember correctly.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 3, 2014 6:56:09 PM

uninstall it and see you can always put it back ..
m
0
l
January 3, 2014 6:57:43 PM

junkeymonkey said:
look for errors that repeat alot and check the details of that there should be a link to online help on them... also look at the problom report and soiutions to see if somthing is repeted there..


The only Errors I see on here in the past hour are
Event ID - 10 - WMI - Application
Event ID - 1002 - Application Hang - Application
Event ID - 7023 - Service Control Manager - System

Also to give an update on the issue it was about 4-5 hours ago I didn't get the Plug and Play error I got an error that said DCOM Launcher Service has terminated unexpectedly, the system needs to restart. Since then it hasn't happened again. I did a BIOS update, and tried to check for windows updates. :S
m
0
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
January 3, 2014 7:32:42 PM

Try to check if the DCOM server process launcher service is running on the computer.

You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

1. Open Administrative Tools by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type administrative tools, and then click Administrative Tools.
2. Double-click Services. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
3. Right-click the DCOM server process launcher service, and then click Properties.
4. On the General tab, next to Startup type, make sure that Automatic is selected.
5. If the service is not already running, under Service status, click Start, and then click OK. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Share
January 3, 2014 7:43:44 PM

junkeymonkey said:
Try to check if the DCOM server process launcher service is running on the computer.

You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

1. Open Administrative Tools by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type administrative tools, and then click Administrative Tools.
2. Double-click Services. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
3. Right-click the DCOM server process launcher service, and then click Properties.
4. On the General tab, next to Startup type, make sure that Automatic is selected.
5. If the service is not already running, under Service status, click Start, and then click OK. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.


I checked this it says its Started and set to Automatic, but when i go into the properties everything is grayed out. I can't change any options. Is this okay?
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 3, 2014 8:10:50 PM

ya its that way on mine also ok when you did the fresh install did you load anything from off the driver disk??
m
0
l