Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

how to repair a external hard drive that has been dropped ?

Last response: in Storage
Share
January 3, 2014 9:18:34 AM

Hi
I have a Hitachi external hdd and it dropped 2 times. after first time it work but after the second time the computer didn't detect it anymore and it makes a noise like tik tak or clicking. i don't want to lose my data. It's 320 GB and it's model is "HDT725032VLA360" I have done everything with my computer but i don't think it's from the computer. Can i do something or i have to take it to someone professional ?
January 3, 2014 9:23:50 AM

have you tried connecting the external hard drive to a different computer/laptop and used a different USB cord? it's possible that the USB cord is damaged causing it to not get detected by your computer.
m
0
l
a c 180 G Storage
January 3, 2014 9:27:28 AM

Dropping a hard drive is bad, as you have found out.
Not having a backup for valued files is bad too.

If the data is priceless, there are data recovery companies that will likely be able to recover your files.
But... they are VERY expensive.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 3, 2014 9:29:35 AM

MrJohnnyLy said:
have you tried connecting the external hard drive to a different computer/laptop and used a different USB cord? it's possible that the USB cord is damaged causing it to not get detected by your computer.


Yes and no, i tested it with more than 3 computer but not with another USB cord. But the hdd make a tik tak or clicking noise (more like a tik tak)
m
0
l
January 3, 2014 9:34:59 AM

geofelt said:
Dropping a hard drive is bad, as you have found out.
Not having a backup for valued files is bad too.

If the data is priceless, there are data recovery companies that will likely be able to recover your files.
But... they are VERY expensive.


I have ask it from some computer store and he said it will be more than 400 box !!!
m
0
l
January 3, 2014 9:50:30 AM

Mr JK said:
MrJohnnyLy said:
have you tried connecting the external hard drive to a different computer/laptop and used a different USB cord? it's possible that the USB cord is damaged causing it to not get detected by your computer.


Yes and no, i tested it with more than 3 computer but not with another USB cord. But the hdd make a tik tak or clicking noise (more like a tik tak)


abnormal clicking sounds from your hard drive is not a good sign. It's possible the spindle may be damaged and like everyone said, it'll be extremely expensive. You could try opening up your hard drive and mounting it externally via another external enclosure. Or directly connect it to your computer internally using the SATA ports to see if you can retrieve data off that.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
January 3, 2014 10:09:50 AM

It's dead. Learn from the experience. Always keep a second copy of important data (and don't drop hard disks).
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 940 G Storage
January 3, 2014 3:53:11 PM

I don't mean to be cruel but the first time you dropped it you said to yourself "I hope its not broken; I have important data on there!" That was your clue to always have a backup copy or two of important data.

I'm sorry you lost your files and have to go buy another hard drive to add to your pain.

At this point you have nothing to lose. Buy another drive to copy data too and open your dropped drive up to see if you can figure out why its clicking and maybe fix it. (at which pont you would immediately gt your files off of it)!. And I do mean open up the dropped harddrive that will be found inside the external enclosure.

One user here opened his and found that one of the heads had jumped onto the wrong side of a stop and simply moving the head backed allowed him to recover all his data. This may not be what happened to you but If you cant afford to send the drive out then you've got nothing to lose by opening it up and having a look.

edit - once you open a drive its certain to fail even the smallest spec of dust can cause immense damage. Dont expect to use it if you manage to fix it. get your data off is the important thing so be ready.
Share
!