2014 Computer Build for Gaming & Altcoin mining

cyberneticdna

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Greetings & Happy New Year!!!

This is my first post here. I love this site and have been visiting for years. The community here is beyond awesome!

I been wanting to build a new computer for the past 5 years now and just never done it. I have upgraded components, fixed ps3s from ylod, as well as tinkered around with leftover components just to piece together a complete machine. As of late I have gotten interested in mining for altcoin.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So here is what I'm looking to build.

1. Get back into playing mmos i.e. Final Fantasy XIV.
2. Do some altcoin mining in my spare time. (not trying to get rich, but maybe supplement my gaming subscription fees as an experiment).
3. I want a good starting system that has a lot of potential for scalability.
4. This computer's functions will be gaming, altcoin mining, and general use.
5. I already have keyboard, mouse, and dual 22" 1680 x 1050 16:10 monitors.

Here are some components I'm interesting in using.
CPU - Intel Core i5-3350P Ivy Bridge 3.1GHZ LGA 1155 but open for suggestions
Motherboard - overclockable ATX board compatible for 2 or more x16 graphics pcie slots with the option of crossfirex compatibility
Video Card - Sapphire or ASUS Radeon R9 X series crossfirex compatibility
RAM - Open for suggestions
HDD - Open for suggestions ≥ 1tb
Case - Between Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 or Cooler Master HAF XB EVO
Power Supply - Open for suggestions
Optical Drive - Open for Suggestions
Operating system - Possibly dual boot with Windows & Linux (Arch, Manjaro, or Ubuntu)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grand Total: ≤ $1700

*** I have looked at Amazon and Newegg so far for components. My delimma is knowing what parts I can budget on and the ones not to. I know for fact I want an AMD Radeon Card and I'm sold on those cases. Everything else is really up for grabs.

I really appreciate the time that it will take someone to go through this request and compile a build list. I'm looking to have this build by the end of January beginning of Feburary. Again I thank you all tremendously for helping me in this delimma! You all are awesome!! I cannot thank you enough!!

Solution
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2uZO0
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2uZO0/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2uZO0/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($164.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($148.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($68.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($339.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card (2-Way...

cyberneticdna

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

I would like the option to do dual crossfirex and ATX size mobo.

legomaster181

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
From my experience, dual booting Linux and Windows, esp. Windows 8, is pretty difficult and require a lot of maintenance. When Windows 8 wants to update, you can kiss the Ubuntu bootloader goodbye, which is also used for booting the windows, and another hour is spent recovering it. I would recommend grabbing a cheap, smaller HDD for storing the Linux on, so they won't interfere with eachother. Other than that, the r9 GPU will definitely be good for mining, although there is the argument that you may not make enough to pay off the electricity it uses. Worth looking into.

EcoMCG

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2uZO0
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2uZO0/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2uZO0/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($164.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($148.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($68.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($339.99 @ B&H)
Case: Cooler Master HAF XB (Black) ATX Desktop Case ($104.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 850W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($127.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($81.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1486.85
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-03 14:02 EST-0500)

Solution

cyberneticdna

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

Thanks for your input! Yes that is an awesome idea to just run linux on a different hdd. I have done that in the past before. I'm not so much a fan of windows 8. I may just run Arch Linux and use windows in a vm if need be. Especially with steam now on linux I can install more games. I'm more of an mmorpg person than a fps, etc. As for the power the r9 GPU produces, do you have another suggestion on something that is more energy efficient? I would love to get my hands on two 7750, but they are scares and if you find them they are way over priced imho. I also used this tool http://www.reddit.com/r/litecoinmining/comments/1ro7ay/introducing_a_useful_litecoin_gpu_mining_profit/ to help me with GPU, etc. I'm looking forward to what GPU suggestion you may have that is viable and easily to find on the market.

cyberneticdna

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

Thanks tremendously on this build! Looks great. Some of your picks raised some questions I had. I wondered about your mobo pic. I was previously looking at ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard on newegg which had won the Tom's Hardware award. I assumed that the mobo that you picked gave a better option for a cost effective memory solution versus something like the ASRock, but I wasn't for sure. I also was curious about your cpu fan choice. I'm assuming this was a place you were saving cost at as well. I would be very curious to know what components you choose were easier to budget on and why. Thanks again for your time in going over this with me. I really appreciate the help!

EcoMCG

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013

No problem. And don't forget to pick the best solution! Do you like the dual SLI GPU's? And if you don't want that CPU cooler I can find you another one, that's the best cheapest budget build CPU cooler I could find. But if you don't like I can find some more.

cyberneticdna

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

The build is fine, I was just curious of your choices. That's again!

TRENDING THREADS