Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Pump not moving water

Tags:
  • Overclocking
  • Water Cooling
Last response: in Overclocking
Share
January 3, 2014 3:18:18 PM

Hey everyone,

Not my first time building a water cooled system but am having trouble with this build and could use your help. I'm using the bitspower D5 pump top with the swiftech pump that has 3 inlets and 2 outlets. I currently have a reservoir tube connected to the top of the pump (marked in). The outlet on the right goes into the radiator, out of the radiator and into the moffset, CPU, GPU, and back into the pump.

I have the PSU hotwired and the pump + fans turn on fine but the pump doesn't move any water; the pump is making noise.

Liquid Cooling Setup

More about : pump moving water

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
January 3, 2014 3:27:48 PM

stratosphere said:
Hey everyone,

Not my first time building a water cooled system but am having trouble with this build and could use your help. I'm using the bitspower D5 pump top with the swiftech pump that has 3 inlets and 2 outlets. I currently have a reservoir tube connected to the top of the pump (marked in). The outlet on the right goes into the radiator, out of the radiator and into the moffset, CPU, GPU, and back into the pump.

I have the PSU hotwired and the pump + fans turn on fine but the pump doesn't move any water; the pump is making noise.

Liquid Cooling Setup


The pump needs to be completely flooded with coolant before it will work properly. Tilt the case around while it's running in order to displace the air that's in the pump with coolant. Once a sufficient amount of coolant is in the pump it should work great. A word of caution though, the D5 is a really powerful pump!
Share
January 3, 2014 3:36:52 PM

Pinhedd said:

The pump needs to be completely flooded with coolant before it will work properly. Tilt the case around while it's running in order to displace the air that's in the pump with coolant. Once a sufficient amount of coolant is in the pump it should work great. A word of caution though, the D5 is a really powerful pump!


Hey, thanks for the fast reply. I've tried tilting the case around in order to get rid of the excess air, however it's not seeming to work. Also, the pump doesn't want to pull any water from the reservoir for some reason. I've tried turning the case upside-down and turning on the pump with no luck. I've never had this problem before and don't really know what else to do.

Also to note, I've had this pump working in a previous system for over a year with no problems. I rebuilt the system into this case and not having any luck bleeding the loop.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
January 3, 2014 3:44:06 PM

stratosphere said:
Pinhedd said:

The pump needs to be completely flooded with coolant before it will work properly. Tilt the case around while it's running in order to displace the air that's in the pump with coolant. Once a sufficient amount of coolant is in the pump it should work great. A word of caution though, the D5 is a really powerful pump!


Hey, thanks for the fast reply. I've tried tilting the case around in order to get rid of the excess air, however it's not seeming to work. Also, the pump doesn't want to pull any water from the reservoir for some reason. I've tried turning the case upside-down and turning on the pump with no luck. I've never had this problem before and don't really know what else to do.

Also to note, I've had this pump working in a previous system for over a year with no problems. I rebuilt the system into this case and not having any luck bleeding the loop.


How much noise is the D5 making? It should have a very noticeable hum when it's running properly, and will screech like a toddler when it sucks in air. Can you link to the parts that you're using? A picture would be great as well
m
0
l
January 3, 2014 3:48:29 PM

Pinhedd said:
How much noise is the D5 making? It should have a very noticeable hum when it's running properly, and will screech like a toddler when it sucks in air. Can you link to the parts that you're using? A picture would be great as well


Loud hum, no screeching. Louder than it was in my previous system when working properly, however. Using the bitspower v2 top for the D5. Here's a picture of the system. Tube reservoir into the pump, out of the pump into the rad and all of the way around back into the pump from the GPU.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
January 3, 2014 4:08:46 PM

Is the loop drained right now? Looks like it from the picture

Have you tried examining the D5 in isolation, perhaps without the mod attached? See if it can move water from one bucket to another
m
0
l
January 3, 2014 4:12:45 PM

Pinhedd said:
Is the loop drained right now? Looks like it from the picture

Have you tried examining the D5 in isolation, perhaps without the mod attached? See if it can move water from one bucket to another


It's partially filled, and I'm starting to think it's air-locked. I'm going to try your suggestion and keep rotating the case to see if I can get the bubbles out :)  Maybe that will fix the problem?
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
January 3, 2014 4:23:29 PM

stratosphere said:
Pinhedd said:
Is the loop drained right now? Looks like it from the picture

Have you tried examining the D5 in isolation, perhaps without the mod attached? See if it can move water from one bucket to another


It's partially filled, and I'm starting to think it's air-locked. I'm going to try your suggestion and keep rotating the case to see if I can get the bubbles out :)  Maybe that will fix the problem?


Probably a good idea. Make sure that there's a way for pressure to escape as well. Ideally an open tube at the top of the case which can be plugged with a stopper.
m
0
l
January 3, 2014 4:35:43 PM

Pinhedd said:

Probably a good idea. Make sure that there's a way for pressure to escape as well. Ideally an open tube at the top of the case which can be plugged with a stopper.


Thanks, Pinhedd. That fixed the problem. Had to do a ton of rotating the case around to get the bubbles to escape up through the res. I kept bleeding it as necessary, and the water eventually started to flow properly :) 
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
January 3, 2014 5:10:14 PM

stratosphere said:
Pinhedd said:

Probably a good idea. Make sure that there's a way for pressure to escape as well. Ideally an open tube at the top of the case which can be plugged with a stopper.


Thanks, Pinhedd. That fixed the problem. Had to do a ton of rotating the case around to get the bubbles to escape up through the res. I kept bleeding it as necessary, and the water eventually started to flow properly :) 


Excellent! Make sure that you leave some room for air in your reservoir. Coolant expands when it is heated, water moreso than ethylene-glycol. If your loop is full of coolant it could end up leaking under pressure or slipping a joint somewhere.
m
0
l
!