Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Solid budget pc build for new gamer?

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • Hardware & Software
  • PC gaming
  • Components
  • Build
Last response: in Components
January 3, 2014 4:12:29 PM

First of all, I want to apologise for adding another 'help me with a pc build' thread which already clutter these forums. However I am completley new to this and don't dare pull the trigger on purchasing anything without hearing from some experts.

My budget is roughly between £350 and £800 (uk) - including monitor keyboard and mouse.

I'm looking to get into gaming and want to be able to run the vast majority of pc games available. I'm not overly bothered by being able to run everything at ultra settings, I just want to be able to run most games smoothly at a high fps.

It would be a great help if you could recommend me a list of products for my build. Ideally I would like to be paying as little as possible, but if you feel some products would be worth paying the extra money for in the long run, then feel free to add them in.

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks - clueless jake

More about : solid budget build gamer

January 3, 2014 4:22:07 PM

my recommendation:

AMD 6300 six core http://amzn.to/1bfSKmm
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA78LMT-USB3: http://amzn.to/18Vcq1G
1 TB WD Blue Drive: http://amzn.to/18PClnc
GTX 770 http://www.amazon.com/PNY-GeForce-DisplayPort-PCI-Expre...
R9 280X: http://amzn.to/1f78yMo
RAM: any 8 gig you can find
Fractal Core 1000 or define mini if you want a stylish and QUIET pc
EVGA 600W Bronze PSU http://amzn.to/1jv9ddl


it will rune everything very smoothly, is upgradable and has good bang for the buck. For what you want, a more expensive cpu is unnecessary and if you have extra money you can spend even more on the gpu without getting performance throttled by the cpu
m
0
l
January 3, 2014 4:23:40 PM

get the best graphics card you can afford ( the 770 is awesome, but there are of cause other options at both higher and lower prices). Be aware however that, at the moment amd tends to be worse value due to price increases as a result of bitcoin mining
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
January 3, 2014 4:27:58 PM

This is the build without a OS, Mouse, Keyboard.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2vaHw
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2vaHw/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2vaHw/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor (£107.93 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.90 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£103.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (£119.99 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£43.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card (£260.99 @ Dabs)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£38.65 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£57.67 @ Dabs)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£13.18 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £770.29
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-04 00:27 GMT+0000)
m
0
l
January 3, 2014 4:30:24 PM

EcoMCG said:
This is the build without a OS, Mouse, Keyboard.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2vaHw
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2vaHw/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2vaHw/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor (£107.93 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.90 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£103.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (£119.99 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£43.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card (£260.99 @ Dabs)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£38.65 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£57.67 @ Dabs)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£13.18 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £770.29
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-04 00:27 GMT+0000)


the ram is totally overkill and the corsair cx appears to be the only unreliable line of corsair products
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
January 3, 2014 4:32:22 PM

Oh sorry I didn't know you wanted a monitor and Keyboard and mouse.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2vaSQ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2vaSQ/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2vaSQ/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor (£107.93 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.90 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£103.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£54.92 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£43.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (£179.65 @ Amazon UK)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£38.65 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£57.67 @ Dabs)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£13.18 @ Scan.co.uk)
Monitor: Hannspree HE225DPB 21.5" Monitor (£89.99 @ Ebuyer)
Keyboard: Gear Head KBL5925W Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Laser Mouse (£39.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £753.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-04 00:32 GMT+0000)
Share
January 3, 2014 4:50:15 PM

EcoMCG said:
Oh sorry I didn't know you wanted a monitor and Keyboard and mouse.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2vaSQ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2vaSQ/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2vaSQ/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor (£107.93 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.90 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£103.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£54.92 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£43.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (£179.65 @ Amazon UK)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£38.65 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£57.67 @ Dabs)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£13.18 @ Scan.co.uk)
Monitor: Hannspree HE225DPB 21.5" Monitor (£89.99 @ Ebuyer)
Keyboard: Gear Head KBL5925W Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Laser Mouse (£39.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £753.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-04 00:32 GMT+0000)



Wow thanks a lot, can't quite believe the level and speed of the support I've been given. This looks like the build for me :) 
m
0
l
January 3, 2014 4:53:02 PM

t1nfoilh4t said:
EcoMCG said:
This is the build without a OS, Mouse, Keyboard.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2vaHw
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2vaHw/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2vaHw/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor (£107.93 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.90 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£103.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (£119.99 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£43.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card (£260.99 @ Dabs)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£38.65 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£57.67 @ Dabs)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£13.18 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £770.29
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-04 00:27 GMT+0000)


the ram is totally overkill and the corsair cx appears to be the only unreliable line of corsair products


Thanks for the help as well, what would you recommend in place of the corsair power supply and RAM?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
January 3, 2014 6:20:12 PM

8shaky1 said:
t1nfoilh4t said:
EcoMCG said:
This is the build without a OS, Mouse, Keyboard.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2vaHw
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2vaHw/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2vaHw/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor (£107.93 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.90 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£103.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (£119.99 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£43.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card (£260.99 @ Dabs)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£38.65 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£57.67 @ Dabs)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£13.18 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £770.29
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-04 00:27 GMT+0000)


the ram is totally overkill and the corsair cx appears to be the only unreliable line of corsair products


Thanks for the help as well, what would you recommend in place of the corsair power supply and RAM?


Like where to buy it?
m
0
l
January 3, 2014 6:40:40 PM

8shaky1 said:
t1nfoilh4t said:
EcoMCG said:
This is the build without a OS, Mouse, Keyboard.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2vaHw
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2vaHw/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2vaHw/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor (£107.93 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.90 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£103.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (£119.99 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£43.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card (£260.99 @ Dabs)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£38.65 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£57.67 @ Dabs)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£13.18 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £770.29
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-04 00:27 GMT+0000)


the ram is totally overkill and the corsair cx appears to be the only unreliable line of corsair products


Thanks for the help as well, what would you recommend in place of the corsair power supply and RAM?


well, for the ram, just go with 2*4gig 1666 mhz kit that seems sort of legit. for the powersupply i would either recommend a be quiet pure power 530w, or a corsair rm series one, depending on how important efficiencey is to you (in many cases it will end up saving you money after a few years if you invest 20 bucks more upfront for the psu, unless of cause they make breakthroughs in fusion)
m
0
l
January 3, 2014 6:56:31 PM

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2veQL
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2veQL/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2veQL/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£173.82 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Asus H87-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£74.90 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£54.92 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.97 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (£192.00 @ Aria PC)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£47.98 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£79.99 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: LG 24EA53V-P 23.8" Monitor (£133.56 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: Gigabyte GK-FORCE K7 Wired Gaming Keyboard (£31.99 @ Novatech)
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Wired Laser Mouse (£49.49 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £881.62
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-04 02:50 GMT+0000)
I went over a bit :( 
But u can cut some pricing from the keyboard/mobo
But personally, I only trust mid end psu from Antec since their HCG series is damn good.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=w...
Asus mobos are the best in my opinion, and right now, intel processors just beat amd in almost every aspect except maybe the # of cores but most gaming utilize 2-4 cores only
For keyboard anything that works would pretty much do. But for gaming mouse Deathadder is my all time favorite. perfect if u have a medium size hand and the grip is just awsome.
m
0
l