Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Pc Reboots During Gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 4, 2014 4:37:38 AM

Right, so my dad recently purchased a custom-made pc from eBay (don't worry the seller had like 35k positive feedback, they were one of those power sellers) and I came across a couple of problems. We didn't touch the PC up until Christmas, so it was sitting idle in its box for around 2 months. I installed the drivers and what not and began to install the many windows updaters. Then windows began to inform me of a hard drive error. Pushing it aside I continued setting up my pc and had a night of blissful gaming. However the next day my pc began rebooting during games. Games would last for about 30 minutes at first, now I'm lucky to get more than 5 minutes. I analyzed my hdd and it said there was a reallocated sector so I purchased a new hdd and installed it. Voila no more problems from that, however the pc still reboots during gaming. One thing I noticed is that the more graphically intensive a game is, the shorter it lasts. If you need to know anything do not hesitate to ask. (I'm not going to pretend I'm some computer guru so forgive me if I do not understand every aspect of your solutions/suggestions).

Specs :
Cpu - AMD GB 4100 3.6ghz
HDD - 500gb Seagate, now 1tb Western Digital
Gpu - Nvidia Gt640 2gb
Ram - corsair vengeance 4gb
Psu - can't see a make on it....Model : ATX-500B
Mobo - Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3


More about : reboots gaming

a b 4 Gaming
January 4, 2014 4:42:54 AM

I'd look at heat being the culprit. Monitor during gaming, and see what happens.
m
0
l
January 4, 2014 4:42:56 AM

I am like friggin' 90% certain its your PSU. It sounds like the higher the graphics card (likely as it uses the most wattage in a build) runs on power the PSU struggles to give it the amperage it needs.


But before you toss cash at the problem, be sure to install a good heat monitoring software and be certain the CPU does not exceed 95 C and the GPU does not exceed 100 C.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

This is what I use to check temps, the download link is on the right hand side of the website.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
January 4, 2014 4:45:07 AM

temps while gaming? use hw64monitor and post results
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
January 4, 2014 4:45:41 AM

Sounds like overheating. Maybe run a memtest86 with one ram stick in at a time
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
January 4, 2014 4:48:07 AM

schmoley said:

Psu - can't see a make on it....Model : ATX-500B

That's a huge red flag.

This particular problem may have more to do with the CPU (or GPU) overheating, but that PSU is still a major concern.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
January 4, 2014 4:49:40 AM

Sakkura said:
schmoley said:

Psu - can't see a make on it....Model : ATX-500B

That's a huge red flag.

This particular problem may have more to do with the CPU (or GPU) overheating, but that PSU is still a major concern.


Yes. Either heat, or that PSU can't keep up.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
January 4, 2014 4:50:53 AM

If you have found no problems on the memtest, PLEASE buy this: Rosewill CAPSTONE-450 450W
I bet it is so much better than your PSU.
m
0
l
January 4, 2014 4:57:33 AM

_Vass said:
temps while gaming? use hw64monitor and post results



That is idle, seems fine. I'll get back to you with results during gameplay. Yes, I do use Opera.
m
0
l
January 4, 2014 5:03:09 AM

_Vass said:
temps while gaming? use hw64monitor and post results




while gaming..
m
0
l
January 4, 2014 5:08:05 AM

bumpy bump
m
0
l
January 4, 2014 5:10:59 AM

Also, the first time it rebooted was as soon as I switched the graphics to "best appearance". Assuming that the temperature could not have risen so drastically in such a short amount of time, it would seem like the psu is the cause..
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
January 4, 2014 5:12:53 AM

schmoley said:
Also, the first time it rebooted was as soon as I switched the graphics to "best appearance". Assuming that the temperature could not have risen so drastically in such a short amount of time, it would seem like the psu is the cause..

Can you buy a new PSU? If so then check the Rosewill link I quoted you above.

m
0
l
January 4, 2014 5:15:03 AM

TechCIDLC said:
schmoley said:
Also, the first time it rebooted was as soon as I switched the graphics to "best appearance". Assuming that the temperature could not have risen so drastically in such a short amount of time, it would seem like the psu is the cause..

Can you buy a new PSU? If so then check the Rosewill link I quoted you above.



Assuming I can buy that model in the United Kingdom... will that wattage be sufficient?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
January 4, 2014 5:20:07 AM

schmoley said:
TechCIDLC said:
schmoley said:
Also, the first time it rebooted was as soon as I switched the graphics to "best appearance". Assuming that the temperature could not have risen so drastically in such a short amount of time, it would seem like the psu is the cause..

Can you buy a new PSU? If so then check the Rosewill link I quoted you above.



Assuming I can buy that model in the United Kingdom... will that wattage be sufficient?

You could change the maximun power to 550w in the site. That will be sufficient.

m
0
l
January 4, 2014 5:22:05 AM

Can I get anyone else to clarify that it is definitely not a overheating problem...also if there could be any other cause for it
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
January 4, 2014 5:26:09 AM

schmoley said:
Can I get anyone else to clarify that it is definitely not a overheating problem...also if there could be any other cause for it


From your picture, it doesn't 'appear' to be a heating issue. Can I state categorically not heat? No.

But given those temps....I'd definitely lean to the PSU being the issue.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
January 4, 2014 5:27:59 AM

doesn't seem like a temperature problem indeed. if you do intend to buy a psu, 450w should be enough, xfx,antec,seasonic are all pretty good psu brands
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
January 4, 2014 5:29:33 AM

The CPU temperature measured seems a bit unrealistic, unless your room is very cold (12 degrees C or less... brrr).
m
0
l
January 4, 2014 5:30:46 AM

USAFRet said:
schmoley said:
Can I get anyone else to clarify that it is definitely not a overheating problem...also if there could be any other cause for it


From your picture, it doesn't 'appear' to be a heating issue. Can I state categorically not heat? No.

But given those temps....I'd definitely lean to the PSU being the issue.


The computer is under warranty and when I told the Ebayer about his crappy HDD he told me to send him the failing one and he'd send a new. However with the PSU...if it's already an awful psu then would you suggest I simply buy a new one? Or get them to deliver another and see how that one works out?

m
0
l
January 4, 2014 5:33:20 AM

Sakkura said:
The CPU temperature measured seems a bit unrealistic, unless your room is very cold (12 degrees C or less... brrr).



my window is wide open if that helps..
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
January 4, 2014 5:35:48 AM

schmoley said:
USAFRet said:
schmoley said:
Can I get anyone else to clarify that it is definitely not a overheating problem...also if there could be any other cause for it


From your picture, it doesn't 'appear' to be a heating issue. Can I state categorically not heat? No.

But given those temps....I'd definitely lean to the PSU being the issue.


The computer is under warranty and when I told the Ebayer about his crappy HDD he told me to send him the failing one and he'd send a new. However with the PSU...if it's already an awful psu then would you suggest I simply buy a new one? Or get them to deliver another and see how that one works out?



However you do it, try a new PSU first.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
January 4, 2014 5:48:04 AM

yes it would do fine
@the aguy asking about temperatures, amd cpu's often deliver unrealistic low temps,if the real temp is below something like 30
m
0
l
January 4, 2014 8:11:09 AM

Is there any possible chance of reboots during only online gaming?... I've just realized that it tends to be during mmo's etc
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
January 4, 2014 8:14:36 AM

schmoley said:
Is there any possible chance of reboots during only online gaming?... I've just realized that it tends to be during mmo's etc


If it happens during graphically intensive operations, the PSU cannot keep up. And seeing as it is an unknown make...the PSU being the cause would seem to be the issue.
Share
January 6, 2014 5:20:35 AM

USAFRet said:
schmoley said:
Is there any possible chance of reboots during only online gaming?... I've just realized that it tends to be during mmo's etc


If it happens during graphically intensive operations, the PSU cannot keep up. And seeing as it is an unknown make...the PSU being the cause would seem to be the issue.


Just purchased a corsair builder 500w and thus far it seems to be sorted, no reboots or anything apart from when I started up my computer it started showing disk fail errors.... swapped the satas around and that seemed to do the trick *sigh of relief*. Thanks to everyone for their help!
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
January 6, 2014 3:26:24 PM

Great!

Poor PSUs can really ruin your day. :( 
m
0
l
!