Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Help choosing a Graphics Card - GTX 760/GTX 770/ R9 280X

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 4, 2014 5:21:48 AM

Hi everyone, I am stuck between 3 GPU's they are all within £100 of each other with the GTX 760 being ~£200 and the GTX 770 and R9 280X ranging from ~£250-£300.
I've had a look at some benchmark and found that GTX 760 is good for max settings with about 30fps and the GTX 770 and R9 280X are max settings with about 45+ fps depending on the game.
However I am also looking at mantle and it does seem promising.
I will also be using my GPU to render in Sony Vegas pro and I have read that using Open Cl is really good but that is only for AMD cards which means I would have to buy the 280X. However Nvidia have Phys X for some games and the ability to use an Nvidia shield which I may buy.

So if anyone can help me to decide I would really appreciate it.
My current system specs are below:
CPU: AMD FX 6300
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
RAM: Kingston HyperX Black 1600MHz
PSU: Corsair CS650M 80+ Gold
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2014 5:28:53 AM

280X is the better than 760 and 770 for gaming.
m
0
l
January 4, 2014 5:31:00 AM

sosofm said:
280X is the better than 760 and 770 for gaming.


Yea that's what I thought the only problem is that it is the most expensive but to be honest it would help me greatly as I will be using it to render as well.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2014 5:31:16 AM

IF u are not caring for price get the r9 280x, however the prices are inflated everywhere in that GPU because of litecoin/bitecoin mining so unless u can find it at a normal price get the GTX 770 its also excellent and i got mine 4gb edition for about the price of a r9 280x
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2014 5:32:16 AM

nvidia 760 and 770 is more appreciated by most games and also the vegas pro you are going to use for editing and other video stuff
m
0
l
January 4, 2014 5:33:47 AM

Portuguesetechie said:
IF u are not caring for price get the r9 280x, however the prices are inflated everywhere in that GPU because of litecoin/bitecoin mining so unless u can find it at a normal price get the GTX 770 its also excellent and i got mine 4gb edition for about the price of a r9 280x


That's another thing I need to consider as I mod skyrim quite a lot and I need quite a bit of VRam on the GPU so getting a 4GB edition would be good and yea I know what you mean about the 280X that's why I started to consider the GTX 770 and 760.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2014 5:35:02 AM

Dont get the GTx 760 its a good card but if u have the option of a GTX 770 get that
The way i thought about it when i bought it was the GTX 770 4gb is 30+ bucks well i dont mind spending those 30+ bucks in order to make sure i will have no problems with vram
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2014 5:37:51 AM

Get the 770. It's better with Sony Vegas. Also, if you are going to do 3D rendering then Nvidia cards have been proven to be better than AMD ones. Also, Nvidia cards have better PhysX.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2014 5:38:38 AM

Yup, most games 'prefer' nvidea drivers, i mean i gave u that review and the r9 280x has 5more fpss, u may consider that was because the game is more optimized for AMD, amd drivers for BF4 came out before Nvidea drivers, but i still prefer nvidea because it still does very well in "AMD games"
Same goes for 3d rendering, Nvidea is simply better
m
0
l
January 4, 2014 5:39:00 AM

Portuguesetechie said:
Dont get the GTx 760 its a good card but if u have the option of a GTX 770 get that
The way i thought about it when i bought it was the GTX 770 4gb is 30+ bucks well i dont mind spending those 30+ bucks in order to make sure i will have no problems with vram


Yea I thinking of defiantly not getting the 760 because it's similar performance to a R9 270X after looking at some more benchmarks. Also I will check prices to see what prices each card are selling for and depending on what I can get will probably be the difference between which one I get although I think I am going more towards the 280X as I will be recording and those few extra frames may become very useful and also the use of Open Cl.
m
0
l

Best solution

January 4, 2014 5:39:17 AM

so the GTX760 is enough for 1080p ultra gaming, maybe not with AA turned to max, but in a really nice setting
GTX 770 and 280X are more designed to 1440p gaming at ULTRA, so they will play 1080p around 80 FPS or so, check toms review
If you are going to use Vegas and it loves OpenCL ( I have no information regarding it) then go for 280x, no question asked.
for gaming, they have the same performance, only marginal difference, so I would get whichever is cheaper
Share
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2014 5:40:54 AM

The GTX 760 is like an entry level, but still very very good bang for the buck card, the GTX 770 is not high end like a GTX780 but is also extremely good bang for the bang and is mid-end
m
0
l
January 4, 2014 5:41:30 AM

Portuguesetechie said:
Yup, most games 'prefer' nvidea drivers, i mean i gave u that review and the r9 280x has 5more fpss, u may consider that was because the game is more optimized for AMD, amd drivers for BF4 came out before Nvidea drivers, but i still prefer nvidea because it still does very well in "AMD games"
Same goes for 3d rendering, Nvidea is simply better


That's yet another reason why I am considering the GTX 770 because they still preform great in most games. I think I will buy based on the price as the 280X and the 770 are very similar. anyway thanks for all your help.
m
0
l
January 4, 2014 5:43:20 AM

Nefos said:
so the GTX760 is enough for 1080p ultra gaming, maybe not with AA turned to max, but in a really nice setting
GTX 770 and 280X are more designed to 1440p gaming at ULTRA, so they will play 1080p around 80 FPS or so, check toms review
If you are going to use Vegas and it loves OpenCL ( I have no information regarding it) then go for 280x, no question asked.
for gaming, they have the same performance, only marginal difference, so I would get whichever is cheaper


You make some good points for each card and I think I will do what you would and go for whatever acrd I can get cheaper. Thanks for your input and help.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2014 5:47:05 AM

toxicthunder69 said:
Portuguesetechie said:
Yup, most games 'prefer' nvidea drivers, i mean i gave u that review and the r9 280x has 5more fpss, u may consider that was because the game is more optimized for AMD, amd drivers for BF4 came out before Nvidea drivers, but i still prefer nvidea because it still does very well in "AMD games"
Same goes for 3d rendering, Nvidea is simply better


That's yet another reason why I am considering the GTX 770 because they still preform great in most games. I think I will buy based on the price as the 280X and the 770 are very similar. anyway thanks for all your help.


Go for the 770. Although AMD cards get better fps and are getting Mantle, Nvidia cards have better PhysX technology and have better performance in other softwares. Seeing that you use Sony Vegas, I assume you may be rendering in 3D and Nvidia cards perform better. Also, AMD cards have proven to be better when you use more monitors (Example Eyefinity) unless you have an SLI setup.
m
0
l
January 4, 2014 5:49:23 AM

you are welcome, but first check Sony Vegas, because if it likes OpenCL then you should choose 280x for better working speed
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2014 5:50:51 AM

Do check Sony Vegas benchmarks, look for 3Dmark scores and all that :p  thats my finnal advise
m
0
l
January 4, 2014 5:52:35 AM

KillerGamer said:
toxicthunder69 said:
Portuguesetechie said:
Yup, most games 'prefer' nvidea drivers, i mean i gave u that review and the r9 280x has 5more fpss, u may consider that was because the game is more optimized for AMD, amd drivers for BF4 came out before Nvidea drivers, but i still prefer nvidea because it still does very well in "AMD games"
Same goes for 3d rendering, Nvidea is simply better


That's yet another reason why I am considering the GTX 770 because they still preform great in most games. I think I will buy based on the price as the 280X and the 770 are very similar. anyway thanks for all your help.


Go for the 770. Although AMD cards get better fps and are getting Mantle, Nvidia cards have better PhysX technology and have better performance in other softwares. Seeing that you use Sony Vegas, I assume you may be rendering in 3D and Nvidia cards perform better. Also, AMD cards have proven to be better when you use more monitors (Example Eyefinity) unless you have an SLI setup.


I think that the AMD cards rendering a bit quicker from watching this video. The graphics cards used are a bit older but it shows what the performance using Open Cl vs CUDA is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoCdycNp0pY
m
0
l
January 4, 2014 5:55:13 AM

Portuguesetechie said:
Do check Sony Vegas benchmarks, look for 3Dmark scores and all that :p  thats my finnal advise


Ok I will have a look, and thanks for all your hep and advice I really appreciate it. :bounce: 
m
0
l
!