Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Fresh install of Windows 8.1, BSOD of several types occurs frequently. HELP!

Last response: in Windows 8
Share
January 4, 2014 11:05:17 AM

I will try to be as specific as possible since I'm exhausted at trying to solve this problem bymyself.
I made a PC from scratch, my parts are
MOBO: ASUS AMX Plus AMD970 ATX M5A97 LE R2.0 (6 SATA 6gb/s ports)
CPU: AMD FX 8320 8-CORE 3.5 GHz
CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 660 Twin Frozr III 2GB card
RAM: 8GB Crutial Ballistix DDR3L 1600
PSU: Seasonic 80Gold 850W Fully Modular
Optical Drive: Liteon DVD
SSD: Sandisk 128GB SSD 2.5 inch SATA 6gb/s
HDD: Seagate Barracude 1TB (not used since MOBO only came with 2 SATA cables, I'm awaiting a third one)

ON FIRST TRY: I assembled this system carefully, with only optical drive and SSD connected all parts are working, ASUS UEFI BIOS starts up and brings me to EZ setup screen, advanced menu is also available, all fans are working. The motherboard beep test speaker beeps everytime I restart which apparently means MOBO is working. Once I set my boot order to the Optical Drive I placed in brand new out of the box Windows 8.1 installation CD, entered my code, agreed to terms then I see Drive 0 Unallocated Space (117GB) I click on it then click next, windows starts preparing files for instal...then NTFS_FILE_ERROR...afterwards, nightmare started. I got all sorts of BSODS from CACHE_MANAGER error to orange lines with white stripes on my monitor at one point. I'm brand new at this and I would appreciate if someone walks me though this. Do I need to format my drive, is my MOBO bad and not compatible (even though it says its made for Windows 8 on the box), is it my RAM?

Eventually after about 30 tries and playing around with UEFI Bot options, I got the WIndows to install but its extremely unstable, giving me BSOD on something as simple as pressing a button, I tired Troubleshooting option with boot SD but none of those options seem to work, it just gives me error in trouble shooting or BSOD. I cannot connect to internet or anything.
a b * Windows 8
January 4, 2014 11:20:31 AM

-ensure that your RAM are correctly seated in their slots>
-boot to BIOS, and look at any hardware monitor the BIOS provides, if they look ok
-disable any BIOS overclocking, turbo boost, any memory overclocking, any cpu overclockings
now attempt to boot. if you can, first thing to check is that your OS files are not corrupt
start cmd.exe as a admin and run system file checker utility.
sfc.exe /scannow

nothing worse than trying to isolate problems then finding out that you have corrupt files because you installed them using a usb drive that and did not verify your copy.

I would go from there but it depends how far you have gotten

chysalis said:
I will try to be as specific as possible since I'm exhausted at trying to solve this problem bymyself.
I made a PC from scratch, my parts are
MOBO: ASUS AMX Plus AMD970 ATX M5A97 LE R2.0 (6 SATA 6gb/s ports)
CPU: AMD FX 8320 8-CORE 3.5 GHz
CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 660 Twin Frozr III 2GB card
RAM: 8GB Crutial Ballistix DDR3L 1600
PSU: Seasonic 80Gold 850W Fully Modular
Optical Drive: Liteon DVD
SSD: Sandisk 128GB SSD 2.5 inch SATA 6gb/s
HDD: Seagate Barracude 1TB (not used since MOBO only came with 2 SATA cables, I'm awaiting a third one)

ON FIRST TRY: I assembled this system carefully, with only optical drive and SSD connected all parts are working, ASUS UEFI BIOS starts up and brings me to EZ setup screen, advanced menu is also available, all fans are working. The motherboard beep test speaker beeps everytime I restart which apparently means MOBO is working. Once I set my boot order to the Optical Drive I placed in brand new out of the box Windows 8.1 installation CD, entered my code, agreed to terms then I see Drive 0 Unallocated Space (117GB) I click on it then click next, windows starts preparing files for instal...then NTFS_FILE_ERROR...afterwards, nightmare started. I got all sorts of BSODS from CACHE_MANAGER error to orange lines with white stripes on my monitor at one point. I'm brand new at this and I would appreciate if someone walks me though this. Do I need to format my drive, is my MOBO bad and not compatible (even though it says its made for Windows 8 on the box), is it my RAM?

Eventually after about 30 tries and playing around with UEFI Bot options, I got the WIndows to install but its extremely unstable, giving me BSOD on something as simple as pressing a button, I tired Troubleshooting option with boot SD but none of those options seem to work, it just gives me error in trouble shooting or BSOD. I cannot connect to internet or anything.


m
0
l
January 4, 2014 11:29:27 AM

Will do that and get back to you,
Thanks John!
One thing I already did is run everything in Auto (default), the RAM is also recognized at 8GB. I havent tried the sfc.exe /scannow, do I do that from the boot disk command prompt?
m
0
l
Related resources
January 4, 2014 5:23:45 PM

I ran into an issue, upon reverting to all default settings on my motherboard (via ASUS UEFI BIOS interface) I cannot access windows anymore, my only option is to clean the disk with the command prompt which i can use from the windows boot disk troubleshooting menu. Should I do this and convert my SSD to gpt format then retry windows install?
m
0
l
January 4, 2014 5:27:37 PM

johnbl said:
-ensure that your RAM are correctly seated in their slots>
-boot to BIOS, and look at any hardware monitor the BIOS provides, if they look ok
-disable any BIOS overclocking, turbo boost, any memory overclocking, any cpu overclockings
now attempt to boot. if you can, first thing to check is that your OS files are not corrupt
start cmd.exe as a admin and run system file checker utility.
sfc.exe /scannow

nothing worse than trying to isolate problems then finding out that you have corrupt files because you installed them using a usb drive that and did not verify your copy.

I would go from there but it depends how far you have gotten

chysalis said:
I will try to be as specific as possible since I'm exhausted at trying to solve this problem bymyself.
I made a PC from scratch, my parts are
MOBO: ASUS AMX Plus AMD970 ATX M5A97 LE R2.0 (6 SATA 6gb/s ports)
CPU: AMD FX 8320 8-CORE 3.5 GHz
CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 660 Twin Frozr III 2GB card
RAM: 8GB Crutial Ballistix DDR3L 1600
PSU: Seasonic 80Gold 850W Fully Modular
Optical Drive: Liteon DVD
SSD: Sandisk 128GB SSD 2.5 inch SATA 6gb/s
HDD: Seagate Barracude 1TB (not used since MOBO only came with 2 SATA cables, I'm awaiting a third one)

ON FIRST TRY: I assembled this system carefully, with only optical drive and SSD connected all parts are working, ASUS UEFI BIOS starts up and brings me to EZ setup screen, advanced menu is also available, all fans are working. The motherboard beep test speaker beeps everytime I restart which apparently means MOBO is working. Once I set my boot order to the Optical Drive I placed in brand new out of the box Windows 8.1 installation CD, entered my code, agreed to terms then I see Drive 0 Unallocated Space (117GB) I click on it then click next, windows starts preparing files for instal...then NTFS_FILE_ERROR...afterwards, nightmare started. I got all sorts of BSODS from CACHE_MANAGER error to orange lines with white stripes on my monitor at one point. I'm brand new at this and I would appreciate if someone walks me though this. Do I need to format my drive, is my MOBO bad and not compatible (even though it says its made for Windows 8 on the box), is it my RAM?

Eventually after about 30 tries and playing around with UEFI Bot options, I got the WIndows to install but its extremely unstable, giving me BSOD on something as simple as pressing a button, I tired Troubleshooting option with boot SD but none of those options seem to work, it just gives me error in trouble shooting or BSOD. I cannot connect to internet or anything.




John, how do I know if my hardware monitor in BIOS "look ok"? Also I'm not booting from USB drive, I bought the disk from DirectCanada, the disk is genuine and the key is at the back.
m
0
l
January 5, 2014 9:17:33 AM

Hello, I'm not getting much help on here so I tried to look into the problem more carefully.
Tried sfc.exe/scannow and it gives me an error saying windows needs to repair itself on next boot, next boot doesnt solve the problem.
I used DiskPart from command prompt on the Windwos 8 boot disk and cleaned the SSD, then I partitioned the drive according to UEFI/GPT standards, i used the guide on here : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825686.asp...
Once that was done, I used the "Windows" partition to install my Windows 8.1 from a CD that I bought. It got to preparting files to install then went through install and update sections rather quickly then said "Windows needs to restart to continue", this is where I get the hang, the windows doesnt restart, the screen gets locked in a dark blue blank background, so I have to press the power button, when I do that and restart, it takes me though the setup process on windows, asks me to input my computer name, select theme, name etc., like the windows 8.1 installed. However, nothing works on this installation, and everytime I click to connect to wireless network (I got wireless adapter) or even just click on random buttons in menu, I get some sort of BSOD.
So, I went back to the drawing board, checked my RAM to make sure it was secured in correctly, checked my motherboard to make sure it wasnt damaged, no pins bent, RAM was in correctly. I dissconected my SSD and connected my brand new Seagate 1TB Barracuda HDD (never used before). I wanted to see if maybe SSD is the problem. Nope. I wouldnt even get through the install before getting a NTSF_FILE_ERROR (same error I got with my SSD). Two most common BSODs I encounter are CACHE_MANAGER and NTFS_FILE_ERROR. At this point I'm lost, I assembled all the part correctly, they all seem to function but I cant get this windows to install properly. Also my BIOS are more recent than the ones required by my CPU, but they are not the most recent version. I read about the update for each BIOS and the most recent ones dont seem to introduce anything in terms of fixing windows problems.
m
0
l
January 5, 2014 10:09:18 AM

Update: Whether I run sfc.exe/scannow or verifyonly features it gives me same message whether I have windows on my drive or not "There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and Run sfc again" There thing is I don't even have Windows nor can i finish installation of it.
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
January 5, 2014 10:28:49 AM

if sfc.exe /scannow can not repair it can be due to a corruption in you driverstore
in this case you will want to use the dism.exe command and get a new copy of the corrupted file from a trusted source.
start cmd.exe as a admin (windows key +x then type A)
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

this should fix the corrupted file, then run sfc.exe /scannow to confirm
reboot and run the command again. I have seen some people report the corruption comes back on their system.
after a reboot. The cause of this was not resolved.

reinstall of the OS generally is not the best solution, your file might be corrupted at its source, or get corrupted on the copy.



chysalis said:
Hello, I'm not getting much help on here so I tried to look into the problem more carefully.
Tried sfc.exe/scannow and it gives me an error saying windows needs to repair itself on next boot, next boot doesnt solve the problem.
I used DiskPart from command prompt on the Windwos 8 boot disk and cleaned the SSD, then I partitioned the drive according to UEFI/GPT standards, i used the guide on here : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825686.asp...
Once that was done, I used the "Windows" partition to install my Windows 8.1 from a CD that I bought. It got to preparting files to install then went through install and update sections rather quickly then said "Windows needs to restart to continue", this is where I get the hang, the windows doesnt restart, the screen gets locked in a dark blue blank background, so I have to press the power button, when I do that and restart, it takes me though the setup process on windows, asks me to input my computer name, select theme, name etc., like the windows 8.1 installed. However, nothing works on this installation, and everytime I click to connect to wireless network (I got wireless adapter) or even just click on random buttons in menu, I get some sort of BSOD.
So, I went back to the drawing board, checked my RAM to make sure it was secured in correctly, checked my motherboard to make sure it wasnt damaged, no pins bent, RAM was in correctly. I dissconected my SSD and connected my brand new Seagate 1TB Barracuda HDD (never used before). I wanted to see if maybe SSD is the problem. Nope. I wouldnt even get through the install before getting a NTSF_FILE_ERROR (same error I got with my SSD). Two most common BSODs I encounter are CACHE_MANAGER and NTFS_FILE_ERROR. At this point I'm lost, I assembled all the part correctly, they all seem to function but I cant get this windows to install properly. Also my BIOS are more recent than the ones required by my CPU, but they are not the most recent version. I read about the update for each BIOS and the most recent ones dont seem to introduce anything in terms of fixing windows problems.


m
0
l

Best solution

a b * Windows 8
January 5, 2014 10:38:58 AM

sounds like there was a error condition not handled correctly by the hardware or you did a quick format on a drive that actually has errors. You indicated it happens with both the SSD and the HDD.
Here are some things to check/do:
- update BIOS (BIOS updates are used to fix known errors in the logic on the motherboard)
- check the mode that your SATA controller is in, most of the time you will want AHCI
- some mother boards have 2 SATA controllers, if you have issues with one put your drive on another port/controller and see if you can resolve the issue.

check your files for corruption, errors in the controller can corrupt various files as they are being copied to the hard drive. (system file checker: sfc.exe /scannow can be used to check core OS files)


chysalis said:
Update: Whether I run sfc.exe/scannow or verifyonly features it gives me same message whether I have windows on my drive or not "There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and Run sfc again" There thing is I don't even have Windows nor can i finish installation of it.


Share
January 5, 2014 10:46:09 AM

Thanks john! All SATAs are set to AHCI, I also tried IDE already as well with to change. I do have two SATA controlelr I believe (SATA 1-4 and SATA 5-6). Right now I have optical plugged into SATA 1 and SSD into SATA 2 I'm afraid to update my BIOS because I'm not sure how exactly. Yes, both SSD and HDD have similar problems so I dont think its the drive problem.
m
0
l
January 5, 2014 10:47:16 AM

Also I have Windows 8.1 OEM (with which I cannot create a USB bootable) Maybe OEM version of windows 8.1 is a problem?
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
January 5, 2014 10:55:27 AM

Most likely there is a bug in one of the controllers not both. Put all your connections on one controller and see if you can get it working. If it fails, try all your connections on the other one. If you can get a good install, then look to update your BIOS. It will work around various issues for bugs in the CPU and on the motherboard. Also, be sure to reformat your drive, who knows what you will get if you have formated it with a bad controller

chysalis said:
Thanks john! All SATAs are set to AHCI, I also tried IDE already as well with to change. I do have two SATA controlelr I believe (SATA 1-4 and SATA 5-6). Right now I have optical plugged into SATA 1 and SSD into SATA 2 I'm afraid to update my BIOS because I'm not sure how exactly. Yes, both SSD and HDD have similar problems so I dont think its the drive problem.


m
0
l
January 5, 2014 11:19:54 AM

I just tried using ASUS EZ FLASH 2 UTILITY, went to ASUS website on my laptop, got a clean formatted USB (FAT32 format) and used their name changer option to get latest BIOS ver2103 for windows 8.1. Then I disconnected all SATAs just to be sure I can update my BIOS, started up the ASUS UEFI BIOS and went to EZ FLASH UTILITY, selected the .CAP file and selected read, it came back with READ FAILED MESSAGE.
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
January 5, 2014 11:32:07 AM

make sure that you are not using a compressed file.

also, I looked up your motherboard and they had a driver fix for your controller
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A97_LE_R20/#support look under the sata drivers for the installer
if you can get windows installed, install the fix first thing.


chysalis said:
I just tried using ASUS EZ FLASH 2 UTILITY, went to ASUS website on my laptop, got a clean formatted USB (FAT32 format) and used their name changer option to get latest BIOS ver2103 for windows 8.1. Then I disconnected all SATAs just to be sure I can update my BIOS, started up the ASUS UEFI BIOS and went to EZ FLASH UTILITY, selected the .CAP file and selected read, it came back with READ FAILED MESSAGE.

m
0
l
January 5, 2014 11:32:50 AM

GOOD News, upon plugging my USB into USB3.0 port, the BIOS were succesfully flashed to latest version.
m
0
l
January 5, 2014 11:35:25 AM

johnbl said:
make sure that you are not using a compressed file.

also, I looked up your motherboard and they had a driver fix for your controller
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A97_LE_R20/#support look under the sata drivers for the installer
if you can get windows installed, install the fix first thing.


chysalis said:
I just tried using ASUS EZ FLASH 2 UTILITY, went to ASUS website on my laptop, got a clean formatted USB (FAT32 format) and used their name changer option to get latest BIOS ver2103 for windows 8.1. Then I disconnected all SATAs just to be sure I can update my BIOS, started up the ASUS UEFI BIOS and went to EZ FLASH UTILITY, selected the .CAP file and selected read, it came back with READ FAILED MESSAGE.



Gotcha! I will power off then dissconect USB, then connect my SATAs back to same controlelr that I havent tried yet.
m
0
l
January 5, 2014 12:03:17 PM

Some good and some bad news:
I did what I said above, the BIOS were fully updates to ver 2103, I plugged my SATA into ports 5-6 (2nd controller) and ran windows. This time, I didnt get stuck on a blank deep blue screen when windwos needed to restart, it actually restarted, but then because my 1st boot drive was my optical it took me to windows setup again, I just clicked on continue to 8.1 and alittle more setup too place, after which it again restarted. I then changed boot order to my SSD and it worked, booted and continue installation, so windows 8.1 was installaed so first thing i went to do is plug in my wireless adapter and find my wireless connects and then....BSOD (SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED)...restarted and can still go into my windows 8.1 now under my account but i think these BSODS will continue to come up.
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
January 5, 2014 12:29:01 PM

I would try to connect a ethernet cable from my motherboard directly to the router and see if i can get a connection without a bugcheck. then I would look for and install updated usb drivers for your board and for your usb wireless card before I attempted to use the usb wireless. ( just a guess without looking at the bugcheck dump)

maybe download all the various updates from the vendor and install them before plugging in the device and getting all the OS updates.


chysalis said:
Some good and some bad news:
I did what I said above, the BIOS were fully updates to ver 2103, I plugged my SATA into ports 5-6 (2nd controller) and ran windows. This time, I didnt get stuck on a blank deep blue screen when windwos needed to restart, it actually restarted, but then because my 1st boot drive was my optical it took me to windows setup again, I just clicked on continue to 8.1 and alittle more setup too place, after which it again restarted. I then changed boot order to my SSD and it worked, booted and continue installation, so windows 8.1 was installaed so first thing i went to do is plug in my wireless adapter and find my wireless connects and then....BSOD (SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED)...restarted and can still go into my windows 8.1 now under my account but i think these BSODS will continue to come up.


m
0
l
January 5, 2014 1:15:11 PM

Ethernet cable works, but the windows is so unstable, I get BSOD every other button click, its suppsoed to be installing updates but I have no clue. Im getting all types of BSOD
m
0
l
January 5, 2014 2:35:39 PM

Alright, I installed WIFI driver that came with the wireless adapter and i ogt wireless working now. I'm currently runnig windows update but its been running for over an hour it says "Keep your PC on until this is done, Installing Update 1 of 1" By wireless adapter is flashing and the drive lights up once in a while, does it mean that its working and installing or did it hang? All in all, it seems that either updating BIOS and/or changing to SATA 5-6 solved the extreme instability but Im afraid to say yet.
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
January 5, 2014 2:40:57 PM

I would go back and check my RAM settings, and make sure they were not overclocked and have the correct voltage. if you have more than i stick, try one at a time and see if you can get a stable system. Maybe even underclock the RAM to get a stable system

chysalis said:
Ethernet cable works, but the windows is so unstable, I get BSOD every other button click, its suppsoed to be installing updates but I have no clue. Im getting all types of BSOD


m
0
l
January 5, 2014 2:44:29 PM

Im currently in the "Keep your PC on until this is done. Installing update 1 of 1..." screen but i have been here for about an hour now. Should I power off and check ram then retry with underclocked RAM? I only have one stick of 1600 memory and it is showing up in my UEFI BIOS with no problems.
m
0
l
January 5, 2014 2:45:21 PM

All my UEFI BIOS settings are on Auto, I have not modified anything. I will try underclocking RAM
m
0
l
January 6, 2014 4:46:27 PM

I fixed it, no more BSODS at all. What I had to do is install update files from my ASUS motherboard CD which came iwth the motherboard. Since then, everything is runnig smoothly. Thank for your help, I think updating the BIOS was the most important step although switching SATA controller may also have played a role.
m
0
l
!