Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GTX 760 and Phenom II x4 965 BE (oc'd at 4.1ghz) only getting 35 average fps on BF3.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 5, 2014 2:08:21 PM

I just bought an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 with an AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE, along with 8 gigs of corsair vengeance ram. Why am i only getting an average of 35 fps!? But other times when im getting 50 to 60 fps it still feels like 20-30 fps, and stutters every second or so. This problem persists even with vsync on and ambient occlusion off. Ive also turned down my AA, but it didnt fix any thing.

Specs:
GeForce GTX 760.
AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE. (just OC'd to 4.1ghz(didn't fix anything))
500GB Seagate hdd.
500W Coolmax PSU.
MSI 970A G46 Motherboard.
1600x900 Resolution (max my moniter can go.)
anything else you need to know ill tell you.
Most questions i ask online dont get answered, please help!
a b Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
a c 157 U Graphics card
January 5, 2014 2:12:36 PM

That very low quality 500w doorstop that looks like a PSU could very well be causing the GPU to throttle. Also OC'd or not that old CPU will bottleneck a GTX 760.
m
0
l
January 5, 2014 2:22:05 PM

Had a feeling my psu was a bit low, but ive looked around on the forums and people are saying the cpu does not bottleneck the 760.. Not sure though.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 133 Î Nvidia
a c 231 À AMD
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 5, 2014 2:23:34 PM

This is where I come in. As you can see from my specs I have a 965 @ 4.11 and a 760. Under load the graphics card hits 100% usage, meaning no bottleneck is present.
m
0
l
January 5, 2014 2:29:34 PM

Gam3r01 said:
This is where I come in. As you can see from my specs I have a 965 @ 4.11 and a 760. Under load the graphics card hits 100% usage, meaning no bottleneck is present.



Thanks for the answer! could you tell me how you can find the usage of your gpu, and whats your average fps on bf3?
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
a c 107 U Graphics card
January 5, 2014 2:30:44 PM

the 965 is a dog from my perspective .............. but reset cmos, run stock, what do you get?..... could be a very bad over clock. how many sticks of ram? cpu could be getting too hot....
m
0
l
a c 133 Î Nvidia
a c 231 À AMD
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 5, 2014 2:31:11 PM

I use MSI Afterburner, tracks FPS, power, fan speed, usage, temps, and core speeds.
I dont currently have BF3 so I cant check. My best guess is the card wont get enough power, so it then lowers its clock speeds to draw less.
Or a thermal barrier somewhere.
m
0
l
January 5, 2014 2:53:44 PM

swifty_morgan said:
the 965 is a dog from my perspective .............. but reset cmos, run stock, what do you get?..... could be a very bad over clock. how many sticks of ram? cpu could be getting too hot....


how exactly do i reset my cmos? kind of a newbie here. And the lagging and stuttering was going on before i OC'd it.
m
0
l
January 5, 2014 2:55:03 PM

Gam3r01 said:
I use MSI Afterburner, tracks FPS, power, fan speed, usage, temps, and core speeds.
I dont currently have BF3 so I cant check. My best guess is the card wont get enough power, so it then lowers its clock speeds to draw less.
Or a thermal barrier somewhere.


Im going to try swtiching it out for a 750W, and im getting a Xigmatek Gaia tomorrow which im going to use to OC to (hopefully) 4.5Ghz. See the cooling in my case (haf 912+) is incredible, i have 5 fans, one of which is a 250mm on top, two 120mm in front, 1 120mm on the side, and 1 140mm exaust. So i was able to oc it too 4.1Ghz with stock fan and it still sits at 51-52C in bf3, so with a cooler im sure i can get it awfully high.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
a c 107 U Graphics card
January 5, 2014 2:58:23 PM

SilvEx said:
swifty_morgan said:
the 965 is a dog from my perspective .............. but reset cmos, run stock, what do you get?..... could be a very bad over clock. how many sticks of ram? cpu could be getting too hot....


how exactly do i reset my cmos? kind of a newbie here. And the lagging and stuttering was going on before i OC'd it. I still think too little cpu too much card.


there's a jumper on the board............. have a manual for it? or you can pull the battery for a few seconds and replace.
m
0
l
January 5, 2014 3:09:43 PM

I think i found the solution. As i continuously OC my cpu im seeing improvements in bf3, the stuttering is going away. I saw on another topic to OC my cpu to 4.5Ghz to end bottlenecking on the 760 in CPU heavy games, and i think he's right.
m
0
l
a c 133 Î Nvidia
a c 231 À AMD
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 5, 2014 4:04:32 PM

I dont know what cooler you have, but unless its something like the H100 or DH-14, you are going to be overheating.
m
0
l
January 19, 2014 10:29:17 AM

Gam3r01 said:
I dont know what cooler you have, but unless its something like the H100 or DH-14, you are going to be overheating.


Well the Gaia performs pretty much on par with the 212+ and it sits around 34C right now.
m
0
l
a c 133 Î Nvidia
a c 231 À AMD
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 19, 2014 11:25:22 AM

Idle, under load, stock clocks, or Oc?
m
0
l
!