Will a R9 290 Tri-X fit in my case?

Archie Griffs

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
Warning: pretty big image
lxch.jpg
I'm wondering if it will fit, not lengthwise, but because of some components on my motherboard that might be getting in the way.

I'll be using the second slot (the topmost slot on the picture, assuming I can), as the first slot (bottom) doesn't have enough room to fit that 12" monster called the Tri-X.

Here's an image of the card
Sapphire_Radeon_R9_290_Tri-X_OC_1-pcgh.jpg

The reason I'm concerned is that one of my USB connectors (sorry if connectors isn't the right word for it) and on/off switch connector raises slightly higher than the GPU slot, the cords themselves can be moved aside/under the fan if needed, but I can't do much about it if the connectors are in the way as well.

Ignore the messy PSU cables, my 750W modular corsair is being RMAed so I have yo use my jungle of a 460W.

Solution
As long as the second is at least version 2.0, you shouldn't see a drop in bandwidth, though the bottom slot may have a teensy bit of extra latency which could cost you a marginal amount of performance.

Unfortunately, those USB headers and case wirings probably will interfere with fitting that large of a card in your case. You might be able to live without the USB if you get a hub, but if the case wires don't fit, that'd be rather problematic, and might require a new case anyway.

Omegaclawe

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
I'm not certain your motherboard will work with the card on the bottom slot instead of the top one... it certainly wouldn't be ideal, in any case.

You could, however, get a new case that'd accommodate it (and wouldn't necessarily be any larger), for $100 or less. Not sure if that'd be too much for it.

Archie Griffs

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013

My 7750 works on that bottom one without anything in the top, but you're right, it's certainly not ideal. I wanted to avoid the extra money for a new case, and I don't want to have 2 extra cases sitting at home, but getting a nice looking case would certainly give me some new eyecandy and better cooling.

I'm going to read my motherboard's manual and see if they say otherwise, but since they're both 16x slots and I've ran my 7750 in either slot I don't see any reason why I can't do so with another card. The main question I had was whether the USB headers would get in the way of the graphics card in the second slot, not if it could even be put in there, as that might be something I need to know in the future regardless of if it fits right now.

Omegaclawe

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
As long as the second is at least version 2.0, you shouldn't see a drop in bandwidth, though the bottom slot may have a teensy bit of extra latency which could cost you a marginal amount of performance.

Unfortunately, those USB headers and case wirings probably will interfere with fitting that large of a card in your case. You might be able to live without the USB if you get a hub, but if the case wires don't fit, that'd be rather problematic, and might require a new case anyway.

Solution

Archie Griffs

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
Just an update, I ended up buying this case, the case I had wasn't necessarily bad, it just had no room for what I wanted.
This one has better cable management, cooling, room, looks :). I wish it had a window, but the one I had in mind with a window didn't have fan controls and was 40$ more expensive, so It all works out in the end.