Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Selecting a Router for my small business

Last response: in Networking
Share
January 6, 2014 3:32:48 AM

I am in need of a new router as my current one (Linksys WR120N) is failing. This is the third one in three years and I would like to replace it with something that will last and possibly perform better.

My site has 6 computers that are wired. 2 of those act as servers. We have 3 laptops on site. 2 wireless access points. 6 printers. We have a static Ip. We are considering adding a security system with cameras (not sure if that matters). We do have one off site user.

I am not experienced in networking and would appreciate any help provided. If more info is needed, please let me know.
a b X LAN
a c 204 F Wireless
January 6, 2014 2:22:26 PM

What is your budget and are you trying to use consumer routers that are cheap or are you willing to spend a substantial amount for a commercial grade router?

The Linksys WR120N is a relatively poor router even by consumer standards, nowhere near the quality of an ASUS RT-N56U router that is also a consumer quality router but far more stable and cheaper.
m
0
l
January 7, 2014 3:01:36 AM

RealBeast said:
What is your budget and are you trying to use consumer routers that are cheap or are you willing to spend a substantial amount for a commercial grade router?

The Linksys WR120N is a relatively poor router even by consumer standards, nowhere near the quality of an ASUS RT-N56U router that is also a consumer quality router but far more stable and cheaper.


Thank you for your reply. I hadn't set a budget, but was looking at routers in the 200 to 300 dollar range. I opened a chat online with cisco and the woman I was speaking with recommended a Cisco RV215W.

We were using the WR120N router because that is what was used when the person we hired to setup our network. He installed the router at that time and we just kept replacing it with the same one.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 7, 2014 3:03:18 AM

Edward Smith said:
Actually it depends upon your budget. But In my opinion you can go for wireless router as your requirement I not much and all the 6 will work well with a wifi router. I would suggest you to go for NETGEAR. It is a RangeMax Dual-Band Wireless-N Router with 4 Ethernet Ports.


Thank you for your reply! I will look at the router you suggested.
m
0
l
a b X LAN
a c 204 F Wireless
January 7, 2014 6:07:03 AM

Koz77 said:
RealBeast said:
What is your budget and are you trying to use consumer routers that are cheap or are you willing to spend a substantial amount for a commercial grade router?

The Linksys WR120N is a relatively poor router even by consumer standards, nowhere near the quality of an ASUS RT-N56U router that is also a consumer quality router but far more stable and cheaper.


Thank you for your reply. I hadn't set a budget, but was looking at routers in the 200 to 300 dollar range. I opened a chat online with cisco and the woman I was speaking with recommended a Cisco RV215W.

We were using the WR120N router because that is what was used when the person we hired to setup our network. He installed the router at that time and we just kept replacing it with the same one.


The Cisco RV215W is an excellent little business router if you don't need gigabit connections and 2.4GHz wireless is adequate.

m
0
l
January 7, 2014 7:43:40 AM

RealBeast said:
Koz77 said:
RealBeast said:
What is your budget and are you trying to use consumer routers that are cheap or are you willing to spend a substantial amount for a commercial grade router?

The Linksys WR120N is a relatively poor router even by consumer standards, nowhere near the quality of an ASUS RT-N56U router that is also a consumer quality router but far more stable and cheaper.


Thank you for your reply. I hadn't set a budget, but was looking at routers in the 200 to 300 dollar range. I opened a chat online with cisco and the woman I was speaking with recommended a Cisco RV215W.

We were using the WR120N router because that is what was used when the person we hired to setup our network. He installed the router at that time and we just kept replacing it with the same one.


The Cisco RV215W is an excellent little business router if you don't need gigabit connections and 2.4GHz wireless is adequate.


If the gigabit connections do come into play, do you have a better suggestion?
m
0
l

Best solution

January 7, 2014 8:02:24 AM

You said that you already have separate wireless access points, correct? Then you don't need to specifically have a wireless capable router, since that can be handled by your access points.

Given the growth that you are looking at to be able to allow remote users access and possibly adding a security system (separate network ideally) I would recommend a true business class router or firewall which will allow you many more features for control plus give you multiple networks or VLANs to work with. I personally have installed and used Sonicwall TZ 105 firewalls at numerous small business offices like yours including my own office. They are great value given all the features that you can get with it and low price point. Much more affordable and many more features than the similar Cisco ASA5505 firewall router.

Connect this firewall to a good gigabit switch (perhaps a second PoE switch if you are doing a PoE capable security system or for your wireless access points) and you have a pretty robust network with plenty of room for growth.
Share
January 7, 2014 9:59:21 AM

choucove said:
You said that you already have separate wireless access points, correct? Then you don't need to specifically have a wireless capable router, since that can be handled by your access points.

Given the growth that you are looking at to be able to allow remote users access and possibly adding a security system (separate network ideally) I would recommend a true business class router or firewall which will allow you many more features for control plus give you multiple networks or VLANs to work with. I personally have installed and used Sonicwall TZ 105 firewalls at numerous small business offices like yours including my own office. They are great value given all the features that you can get with it and low price point. Much more affordable and many more features than the similar Cisco ASA5505 firewall router.

Connect this firewall to a good gigabit switch (perhaps a second PoE switch if you are doing a PoE capable security system or for your wireless access points) and you have a pretty robust network with plenty of room for growth.


Thank you for your suggestion! I will check this router out.
m
0
l
February 5, 2014 9:28:21 AM

Edward Smith said:
Actually it depends upon your budget. But In my opinion you can go for wireless router as your requirement I not much and all the 6 will work well with a wifi router. I would suggest you to go for NETGEAR. It is a RangeMax Dual-Band Wireless-N Router with 4 Ethernet Ports.


Hi,
My company is a two storey building of 6000sqft each, there are around 35 laptops scattered around the workspace. I want to know a single commercial router that can support these two floor without any signal loss.

Can anyone help me out with this.

Thanks
m
0
l
!