R9 290 in a Cooler Master Storm Scout??

l1ghtm4st3r

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
Hi,

I was looking to get a VTX3d R9 290 X-Edition graphics card. I've heard on an Overclockers video that the card measure 275mm (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-015-VX). According to Cooler Master's publications, the Scout can fit up to a max of 10.6 inches (270mm).
That's the max clearance.

Might sound stupid but do you think the GPU would fit? Currently I'm running a Gigabyte 7950 and it's pretty damn close to the HDD cage (which is non-removable).

Any help would be appreciated.

Also is it possible to have a workaround to something like this? Is it easy to remove the HDD cage?

Thanks for the help.

STACKS ON DECK

Distinguished
it is a close one .... both have same length . GPU and case clearance but seriously ,,, not recommended . . it is a old case and designed for portability and looks too compact for new gen hardware .... so will you buy a new case if you planned to buy that GPU ?

l1ghtm4st3r

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012

Thanks for responding, but no, I wouldn't. I'm tight on cash and that's why I want to get best bang for buck by picking best performance and not too outrageous a price point.

l1ghtm4st3r

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
Ahhhh dammmmmmnnnnnnnn. Was hoping it wouldn't come to that........

I may try removing the hdd cage. Although it's said to be non-removable someone modded it quit nicely and basically cut it in half to give about 2-3 bay and room for the longest of GPU's. Dremel should do it. Thanks for your help.

Elsewise I'll probably pick up a MSI 280x and overclock as much as.

prestigerg7

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
Not exactly the same but similar specs, I have a GTX 780 Ti fitting in a CM Storm Enforcer case which is smaller than the Scout case . The 780 Ti is also almost the same size as the reference r9 290 as per newegg 10.8 x 4.4 inches while the 780 ti I have is 10.5 x 4.4 inches. It fits in my case with room to spare at the back (probably about 2 inches to 3 inches of room).

But.. I'd agree that it won't fit or be super tight if you cant remove the HDD cage. Its strange though, the CM Storm Enforcer allows me to very easily remove the cage and its a cheaper/lower end case compared to the Scout and in the same model line.

If you're patient, you can buy the Scout from a place that will let you return it and give it a try. That way you know for sure but you'll have to wait if you need to return it for a refund to get a new one.

l1ghtm4st3r

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
Choices are limited but then again it was a long shot. Alright, I guess I'll just to have to find a decent R9 290 reference that's not too long a board.

There's one from VTX3D who's offering it at 266mm but I'm reluctant to part my cash with them. I prefer to go for one of the stronger manufacturers.
Here's the link to the card: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-015-VX

KSN-Online contacted them for me and told me the spec, VTX are so far the only viable option.

But thank you guys for your inputs.

chunkluv

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
I know this is an old thread, but I had the same question and couldn't find an answer online. I gave my nephew my Storm Scout I case and he wanted a good card under 200 bucks. This was the best out there in that price range: http://www.microcenter.com/product/431152/Radeon_R9_280_3GB_DDR5_PCI-Express_DVI-I_-_DVI-D_-_HDMI_-_DP_Dual-X_w-_Boost_Video_Card

We bought it and were just going to cut out the HD cage if we had to. We got it home and it did fit! It does not touch the HD cage, there is about 3 or 4mm to spare.