when will the R9 290 and 290x go down in price?

Critterbug9934

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
The price has shot up significantly on the r9 cards because of those stupid bitcoin mining losers. I would really like to get my hands on one for the original price. Thankfully I hear that the bitcoin's have taken a plummet so when do you guys think I will be able to get my hands on one for the right price? As of today they are going for a little over $500 for the r9 290. Will the price be back to normal by the end of January?

Solution
Once availability increases, the price should go down. With the Bitcoin/Litecoin craze going on it could take a while. I would say mid January- mid Feburary honestly. By then the aftermarket versions of the cards will be on the shelves as well, which will add to the inventory.
Once availability increases, the price should go down. With the Bitcoin/Litecoin craze going on it could take a while. I would say mid January- mid Feburary honestly. By then the aftermarket versions of the cards will be on the shelves as well, which will add to the inventory.

Solution

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

Well I would hope by the end of February. However there is one problem people seemingly aren't realizing:

Even at $550 and $650, the cards are still priced competitively with their Nvidia counterparts (Especially with their new coolers).

-The 290 is 10% stronger than the 780 while having 33% more VRAM.
-The 290X is 7% weaker than the 780 Ti while having 33% more VRAM and costing at least $50 less.

If AMD discovers they can sell these cards at these prices, why would they make an effort to stop?

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Erm, 290 10% stronger than the 780?

I agree that it is definitly a possibility they could keep the prices high while the demand is there. That is how businesses make money after all. I'm not sure that would be wise though, since they have an opportunity to widen their customer base quite a bit. I don't think it's the time for AMD to price gauge honestly. Maybe it's time to advertise more though, and get all they can out of their current position. That way they can set up a better future financially for the company. Besides, it's not AMD rising the prices right now. It's the retailers. I don't think the MSRP has changed....

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

Yep, easily:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7601/sapphire-radeon-r9-290-review-our-first-custom-cooled-290/3

It is roughly as strong as a titan.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

Yeah I am not suggesting that they will permanently try to keep it that high, but as long as they can make it that high they will. However by the end of February the 800 series will probably come out, and supply will meet demand. That is when their prices will start dropping again...

NinjaDMP

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008

Everyone does realize AMD has absolutely nothing to do with the current prices consumers are having to pay right? It's all the retailers like newegg, amazon sellers, etc. jacking up the prices, because they can, and are still selling out.

P.S. I've got a significant amount of my portfolio in AMD and I wish it was them reaping the extra profits.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

Yeah I know. Wouldn't AMD be able to charge them a little more? Seems a shame to me...

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

2 things
High res, and AMD titles.
Stock for stock the 290 is better. Overclocking is another story.
I like the 290's though, just not at their current price.

zpam

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
At this rate, id say past May or mid June, might aswell mid year man. AMD needs to make some sort of device more appealing to litecoin miners with less unnecessary components and way less expensive as the current R9 series. That might be the only way retailers could stop farming the hell out of our wallets.

Andrew Murphy

Honorable
Feb 19, 2014

Ive checked many sites for actual benchmarks comparing both the r9 290 and the gtx 780 and aside from a few specified incidents where the 290 has a slight lead the 780 usually dominates all plus the efficiency rating and noise levels are in favor of nvidia. These facts are often overlooked because there are a lot of gamers that don't pay their bills due to the fact that they live at "home" Not sure about the R9 290x although i see a lot of biased reviews comparing the it to the ti when it is overclocked with all the perks against the 780 ti stock and its hardly topping the ti but still the 3gb is a bummer for many especially for those who bought it if the rumors of releasing the 6gb model is true.