$1200 System? Feedback wanted

rayne2330

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
So this is a build im planning on getting as a graduation/ birthday present in a few months. I just wanted to know everyones feedback and such.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.97 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: GeIL EVO Veloce Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($66.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($315.68 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1154.55
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-06 15:35 EST-0500)

Yes, I feel like the i7 is also a little much maybe for my budget, but i want to "futureproof" a little bit.

Solution
Hi rayne2330 -

Responding to your updates:

"I plan on using this for everything, but mainly gaming. For school work and other things as well."
- The main difference between the I7 and the I5 is that the I7 supports hyperthreading. From a gaming and school work perspective, you won't see a benefit from the I7. If you plan to do lots of video transcoding (e.g., copying DVD movies and compressing for you iPad/phone/tablet, etc.) then the I7 will be a bit faster at this. I see you've dropped back to an Ivy-bridge option. Absolutely nothing wrong with this, and you'll get good gaming performance from this setup. Just a personal preference on my part, though, is to go for the most current chipset. If I were building, it would be an...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Looks decent, not really spending enough on a quality power supply. Something like a XFX550 or Seasonic 550W.And that is a reference GTX770, might want to got for a custom cooled one. MSI Twin Frozr, Asus DCUII, or EVGAs higher end cards.

GorfTheFrog

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
Hi Rayne2330 -
This will build a nice system. The question is what are you trying to accomplish with this build? My observations / thoughts / comments, in no specific order -

o You can save $50 by buying the CPU/MOBO as a combo at MicroCenter http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/intel-processor-bundles.aspx

o Why the Z87-A Mobo? It appears that there are less expensive boards Z87 MOBOs from quality vendors. Is there a specific feature that you're wanting from this board?

o I favor a 750W power supply for this type of build, but I think that's just me. Be sure that you've cross-checked your build components against some fo the PSU calculators available on various sites.

o I wouldn't pay that much for a case. I've purchased both expensive and in-expensive cases, and for my builds I'm going to pick the least expensive box that will house my components and meet my cooling needs.

o I've had good luck puchasing components at MicroCenter. They frequently have bundle deals on parts if you're purchasing a MOBO at the same time.

o I like the 2GB on the video card.

o I don't see an SSD in this build. Most of what I've built has been dual-purpose gaming and family machines, and adding an SSD makes a big difference to the responsiveness of the machine. (I currently have 2 SSDs on my primary box - one for core OS, and a second for swap space, temp internet files, secondary programs that are always in use (e.g., virus software) etc.).

o Are you planning to overclock from the very start? If yes then you need the better CPU cooler, as you've selcted above. If you're just going to use the standard clocking, then you'll probably be ok w/ the cpu cooler from Intel. (Or you may still have to get an after-market cooler. I've had one Intel cooler that attached and has worked fine for years, and I've had another that simply wouldn't stay attached to the Mobo.

Would be interested to hear what you see as the primary and secondary purposes of what you'll be using this config for and what future use you project.

Hope this helps.

###

rayne2330

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013

Is this not a custom cooler? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133490&clickid=weewOtzrd1yp3rvz6719LUVBUkT1wPQdzUA1UU0&iradid=97618&ircid=2106&irpid=79301&nm_mc=AFC-IR&cm_mmc=AFC-IR-_-na-_-na-_-na

I think the pcpartpicker image is wrong.

rayne2330

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013

I plan on using this for everything, but mainly gaming. For school work and other things as well.

My state doesnt have a micorcenter anywhere so thats out of my reach.

What other mobo would you recommend thats cheaper?

Im rethinking my PSU right now, any recomendations?

I have looked at many other cases, and i favor this one heavily, if you have something you think is better then please share. I know of many other ones that are good and cheap, i just really like the look of it.

I dont have an SSD, but i will prob upgrade later on, its not my biggest concern right now as it does not affect my performance.

I plan on some light-medium overclocking, or as much as this cooler can let me, how much do you think i can push my CPU with this cooler? what other cooler would be best for medium overclocking at most?

rayne2330

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
Ok ewll here is my ivy bridge version of it. What do you guys think?

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.96 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.97 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($74.49 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($359.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1176.34
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-07 10:30 EST-0500)

GorfTheFrog

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
Hi rayne2330 -

Responding to your updates:

"I plan on using this for everything, but mainly gaming. For school work and other things as well."
- The main difference between the I7 and the I5 is that the I7 supports hyperthreading. From a gaming and school work perspective, you won't see a benefit from the I7. If you plan to do lots of video transcoding (e.g., copying DVD movies and compressing for you iPad/phone/tablet, etc.) then the I7 will be a bit faster at this. I see you've dropped back to an Ivy-bridge option. Absolutely nothing wrong with this, and you'll get good gaming performance from this setup. Just a personal preference on my part, though, is to go for the most current chipset. If I were building, it would be an 1150 socket.

"My state doesnt have a micorcenter anywhere so thats out of my reach. "
-Sorry to hear this. I'm kind of a MicroCenter fanboy, just because I've always gotten good pricing and good advice from the sale associates. You may still be able to take advantage of Mobo bundle pricing for All the same, look through the various sites for pricing. I don't know what your timeframe is, but my personal approach is to get my parts list about 80% certain, and then spend a couple of months catching some of the items as they go on sale.

"What other mobo would you recommend thats cheaper?"
-Lots of good ones out there. Going back to the 1150 socket, I recently built a machine with the "MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate Socket LGA 1150 ATX Intel Motherboard." It's currently $99 at MicroCenter, :) plus shipping. It has 4 memory slots (two for now, two for later) which is a plus for me.

"Im rethinking my PSU right now, any recomendations?"
- I've used Corsair before, and they are a good manufacturer. Of course, there are lots of good manufacturers. I've used both modular and non-modular, and I prefer the modular ones. I like to over-buy a bit so I don't have to think about my PSU when I want to add another disk or device (for my primary home machine I started with a basic setup and am now up to 3 HDs, 2 SSDs, 1DVD, 1BluRay, 5 fans, and upgraded my graphics card.)
- You may try searching through some of the Tom's articles on PSUs, and you may want to look at the Tom's "System Builder Marathon" articles to see what those guys are using. Here are two links to articles that ran some time back. *DISCLAIMER* - I would not use any of these PSUs because I would personally want something with slightly higher total wattage. I would certainly consider any higher wattage PSU from any of these manufacturers. There might be some interesting background info in here for you, and you can see what manufacturers they reviewed.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-review-80-plus-bronze,3568.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-review-80-plus-bronze,3587.html

" I have looked at many other cases, and i favor this one heavily, if you have something you think is better then please share. I know of many other ones that are good and cheap, i just really like the look of it."
- If you like this case, then get it. The case is really the last component on my list, and I'm not terribly picky. You may want to review these Tom's articles on cooling. They changed the way I was thinking about cases and airflow:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-air-pressure-heatsink,3058-5.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-airflow-heatsink,3053-4.html

" I dont have an SSD, but i will prob upgrade later on, its not my biggest concern right now as it does not affect my performance."
-Absolutely nothing wrong with your setup above, but an SSD will make the whole system feel like it is responding more quickly. The very best option is to install one as your boot disk, and the easiest time to do that is when you're building the system (otherwise you'll have to re-install your OS, which is not that big of a deal, but a task I find cumbersome.) Beyond that, there are still good options for integrating one later. With a Z87 Mobo, you can use Intel's SRT to setup an SSD to cache your HD. You can also move your swap and temporary files off to it, you can re-install frequently used programs or games to your SSD later, etc. But again, absolutely nothing wrong with the setup you have listed.

" I plan on some light-medium overclocking, or as much as this cooler can let me, how much do you think i can push my CPU with this cooler? what other cooler would be best for medium overclocking at most?"
-There are others in the forum who can answer this better than I. If I were planning any overclocking on either of the two CPUs you picked above, I'd go with the better CPU cooler.

One other thought, and it's really more of a clarification to zichus's comment. The MOBO's you are considering support Dual Channel memory. So your performance will be better if you purchase 2x4GB of dual-channel instead of a single 8GB. The simple analogy is that you can mow your lawn twice as fast if you have two lawnmowers. Additionally I'd look for the DDR3-1600 instead of the -1333. As a final thought on this, with 8GB of RAM you might be able to get away with totally disabling your pagefile, but that's probably a topic for another thread. :)

Hope this helps; let me know if this sparks any other questions for you.

Good luck!

-GorfTheFrog

Solution

Shocking777

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2013

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($149.99 @ TigerDirect)
Motherboard: Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($84.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($491.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($85.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1238.83
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-07 11:59 EST-0500)

Get you the 780, delivers awesome performance altough i recommend the 290 Tri-X by Sapphire which will be coming out soon. But i can't get your case though