Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Computer restarts randomly is it the power supply?

Tags:
  • Western Digital
  • Power Supplies
  • Computers
  • Graphics Cards
  • Components
Last response: in Components
January 7, 2014 8:18:47 AM

So i have done some research on here and across the web and it seems to be the common cause of a computer randomly restarting is the Graphics Card overheating, a virus, and/or the power supply. I took the side panel off of the computer to allow for more ventilation to the graphics card and the problem continued. The Graphics Card also didn't feel hot, just warm. I have not downloaded anything off the internet other than a few Blizzard games, so i'm pretty sure its not a virus. I've only used the computer for 3 days. The following components were purchased:

1) Western Digital WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
2)CORSAIR XMS3 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
3) CORSAIR CX series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
4) PNY VCGGTX650XPB GeForce GTX 650 2GB 128-bit Graphics Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
5) GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2 AM3+ AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
6) SilverStone PS08B Black High-strength Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
7) AMD FX-8320 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor
http://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item...

These items weren't all purchased from NewEgg.com, it was just easier to find the products that way. I would also like to add that this problem didn't occur during the downloading process of 3 games at the same time. I also played one of them for an extended period of time without problems. Could it be the graphics card?

More about : computer restarts randomly power supply

January 7, 2014 8:24:14 AM

Opening the case doesn't solve cooling problems and may in fact make them worse. Does it restart when running any particular task like a game or will it restart during games, when idle, etc?
m
0
l
January 7, 2014 8:27:18 AM

ddpruitt said:
Opening the case doesn't solve cooling problems and may in fact make them worse. Does it restart when running any particular task like a game or will it restart during games, when idle, etc?


It restarts when I run Diablo III, when I use steam to download a new game, It has restarted when I was running Hearthstone. I watched a few YouTube videos without problems, but I was watching a video on Windows Media Player and it restarted.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 7, 2014 8:42:05 AM

DennisLCaskey said:
I think your PC is slip with your hands and it has an bad sector on hard disk.Your system can't support even low program.I think you have to change your hard disk.


What makes you think its the hard drive? As opposed to the power supply? If there were hard drive problems, wouldn't it have problems saving files and/or finding files corrupt? or just not run certain applications at all? The applications are working temporarily, and then the entire computer shuts off and then turns back on.
m
0
l
January 7, 2014 9:26:54 AM

Doubtful it's a cooling problem. Get a hardware monitoring program and check the temps to see if they're normal and to see if voltages are doing anything funny. Is it blue screening or is it just restarting?
m
0
l
January 7, 2014 9:56:41 AM

ddpruitt said:
Doubtful it's a cooling problem. Get a hardware monitoring program and check the temps to see if they're normal and to see if voltages are doing anything funny. Is it blue screening or is it just restarting?


Just restarting, no blue screen.
m
0
l
January 7, 2014 10:15:23 AM

It's just a guess, I don't know a whole lot. I used PartsPicker to build my PC, and it doesn't show a compatibility issue. I would have done the same thing, I had an FX-6300 (95W) picked out, then noticed that TigerDirect had the 8320 on sale for $120. I'm glad now that they were out of stock when I went to get one..

As I said, I don't know much, but maybe you can underclock your CPU until you get a better board? (dunno if that makes a difference)
m
0
l

Best solution

January 7, 2014 10:22:47 AM

Keeko014 said:
ddpruitt said:
Doubtful it's a cooling problem. Get a hardware monitoring program and check the temps to see if they're normal and to see if voltages are doing anything funny. Is it blue screening or is it just restarting?


Just restarting, no blue screen.


First I would reinstall everything and update the BIOS to the newest version. Other than that it sounds like a power supply issue. It's remotely possible that it's the GPU but those tend to blue screen. RMA the PSU and get a new one to see if that resolves your problem.
Share
January 7, 2014 10:25:41 AM

The only 8-series FX I see on that list is the 8100, or am I missing something?
m
0
l
January 7, 2014 10:27:51 AM

Skpstr said:
It's just a guess, I don't know a whole lot. I used PartsPicker to build my PC, and it doesn't show a compatibility issue. I would have done the same thing, I had an FX-6300 (95W) picked out, then noticed that TigerDirect had the 8320 on sale for $120. I'm glad now that they were out of stock when I went to get one..

As I said, I don't know much, but maybe you can underclock your CPU until you get a better board? (dunno if that makes a difference)



Haha... I did exactly what you did.
m
0
l
January 7, 2014 10:31:30 AM

ddpruitt said:
Keeko014 said:
ddpruitt said:
Doubtful it's a cooling problem. Get a hardware monitoring program and check the temps to see if they're normal and to see if voltages are doing anything funny. Is it blue screening or is it just restarting?


Just restarting, no blue screen.


First I would reinstall everything and update the BIOS to the newest version. Other than that it sounds like a power supply issue. It's remotely possible that it's the GPU but those tend to blue screen. RMA the PSU and get a new one to see if that resolves your problem.


Sounds like a plan, it'll be tedious, but i'll give it a shot.
m
0
l
January 7, 2014 11:35:11 AM

Keeko014 said:

Sounds like a plan, it'll be tedious, but i'll give it a shot.


Don't worry we've all gone through this. Last build I had to reinstall everything 3 times because of driver issues. The good thing is you'll gain some valuable experience out of it.
m
0
l
January 7, 2014 11:37:09 AM

Skpstr said:
Just looked on the Gigabyte support site, 8100 is the only 8-series FX supported :( 

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=4643

Hope you can get it to work!



So just for clarification, the Gigabyte motherboard does not process the right amount of watts to power the processor, so i'd have to replace the motherboard. The power supply is fine thus far because it is 430 Watt Power Supply. and I have the FX-8320 processor, which isn't compatible, contrary to what the PartsBuilder website thingy said.
m
0
l
a c 275 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2014 12:26:25 PM

ddpruitt said:
Keeko014 said:

Sounds like a plan, it'll be tedious, but i'll give it a shot.


Don't worry we've all gone through this. Last build I had to reinstall everything 3 times because of driver issues. The good thing is you'll gain some valuable experience out of it.


Ha ha! great reply!
m
0
l
January 7, 2014 4:55:30 PM

Quote:
So just for clarification, the Gigabyte motherboard does not process the right amount of watts to power the processor, so i'd have to replace the motherboard. The power supply is fine thus far because it is 430 Watt Power Supply. and I have the FX-8320 processor, which isn't compatible, contrary to what the PartsBuilder website thingy said.


As I said, I don't know much, maybe can be done, but the support site definitely doesn't
m
0
l
May 9, 2015 6:32:22 AM

For anyone who is reading this, the issue was with the Graphics Card. It was faulty. I did end up getting a new battery, didn't fix the problem, new motherboard, still didn't solve the problem, but when i got a new graphics card, it worked. For whatever reason the one I had was just faulty.
m
0
l
June 20, 2015 11:09:13 AM

Ye - I've got the same problem -- powering off randomly -- usually when running a video
--whilst AMD Radeon Catalyst Performance Overdrive shows temperature not very high ( tho fans always have been running high before and after this problem).
I even had it running at 93 degrees C ( fans showing 100%) during the Catalyst auto test ! (Normally I never got beyond 84C).

I believe all the other causes ( power supply etc..) would give a Blue Screen. Experience from previous -non-blue-screen shutdowns , (with very rare shutdowns) was the the graphics card overheating.
In this case I think my card is just getting old!
m
0
l