Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Intel Core Processors Comparision

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • Processors
  • Intel i5
  • Core
  • CPUs
  • Intel
Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 7, 2014 8:53:58 PM

Greetings from Colombia,
Hi I'm looking forward to buy a new pc. I have been through several threads on the forum and mainly I'm gonna be using the pc for gaming. I've read that there is not a big difference between i5 and i7 when it comes about gaming. If there is any new evidence about this topic can anyone give me the news? Also and more importantly: checking on intels website I see a bunch of i5 processors. Quick question is: how do I differentiate a third gen i5 from a fourth gen i5? Also if there is a way to check if the product I'm buying is an original one. Thanks in advance.
  1.  

More about : intel core processors comparision

January 7, 2014 9:02:21 PM

The third gen i5 and fourth gen aren't to far away price wise. The fourth gen i5 4670k is an amazing processor for gaming which costs around 230 Us Dollars don't know about your currency. I would just get fourth gen to make sure your getting full potential out of your processor. I don't know what you mean by "original" but if you mean that if it was just out of factory and was never used before, just buy it from a legit site such as Newegg.com which you can also find other great products.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
January 7, 2014 9:08:58 PM

In terms of gaming, there really isn't much of a reason to go with an i7 except for future proofing. Right now the sweet spot for gaming processors is the i5 4670K in my opinion. Though certainly there are more budget friendly options, such as the FX 6XXX series and the FX 8XXX series. Personally, for my money, Intel is where it's at.

3rd gen i5's are numbered 3XXX. 4th gen are 4XXX. Typically the higher the [XXX] number is, the better the processor is, though that certainly isn't always the case. A "k" after the model number indicates a processor with an unlocked multiplier, meaning much higher potential for overclocking than a non "k" model.
Share
Related resources
January 7, 2014 9:11:11 PM

izdabest said:
The third gen i5 and fourth gen aren't to far away price wise. The fourth gen i5 4670k is an amazing processor for gaming which costs around 230 Us Dollars don't know about your currency. I would just get fourth gen to make sure your getting full potential out of your processor. I don't know what you mean by "original" but if you mean that if it was just out of factory and was never used before, just buy it from a legit site such as Newegg.com which you can also find other great products.

Thanks for ur prompt answer,
We have a mall here that sells computer parts and stuffs but unfortunately ppl here is always trying to trick u by selling older/used parts as if they were new ones. So, if the box says 4670k it surely tells me at least it is a fourth gen one? What does it say in a third gen one?

m
0
l
January 7, 2014 9:17:47 PM

Anub1s said:
In terms of gaming, there really isn't much of a reason to go with an i7 except for future proofing. Right now the sweet spot for gaming processors is the i5 4670K in my opinion. Though certainly there are more budget friendly options, such as the FX 6XXX series and the FX 8XXX series. Personally, for my money, Intel is where it's at.

3rd gen i5's are numbered 3XXX. 4th gen are 4XXX. Typically the higher the [XXX] number is, the better the processor is, though that certainly isn't always the case. A "k" after the model number indicates a processor with an unlocked multiplier, meaning much higher potential for overclocking than a non "k" model.

Thanks a lot!
Thats pretty much what I was looking for. Couple more things. Is there any way (maybe by barcode or an specific number) to check that the CPU is legal and new?
And at last, any advice on a budget motherboard to get along with it? The lady that helped me on a store mentioned something about "extreme" with HD output and two slots for video card, sounds familiar or is it a good one?

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2014 9:30:21 PM

Yuyocontre said:

Thanks a lot!
Thats pretty much what I was looking for. Couple more things. Is there any way (maybe by barcode or an specific number) to check that the CPU is legal and new?
And at last, any advice on a budget motherboard to get along with it? The lady that helped me on a store mentioned something about "extreme" with HD output and two slots for video card, sounds familiar or is it a good one?


You're welcome. Basically just make sure the box is sealed, after that the only way to know is looking at the components themselves.

Which motherboard to get depends on which processor you get and in some cases what other components you want to use. Every different chipset has it's own features and limitations. Typically Z77 boards for third gen Core processors (3XXX, Ivy Bridge) and Z87 boards for 4th gen Core processors are best, but that certainly doesn't mean you need it, and in fact will probably be overkill for you. Something to also note is that 3rd gen processors use a different socket from 4th gen so that needs to be accounted for.

Narrow down what you want your computer to have and I can put together a build for you if you'd like. Be sure to outline what you will be using it for, and what your budget is. Preferably in USD. This can all be pretty confusing for a first time builder/buyer, so don't worry about asking questions if you don't understand.

m
0
l
January 7, 2014 9:35:33 PM

Anub1s said:
Yuyocontre said:

Thanks a lot!
Thats pretty much what I was looking for. Couple more things. Is there any way (maybe by barcode or an specific number) to check that the CPU is legal and new?
And at last, any advice on a budget motherboard to get along with it? The lady that helped me on a store mentioned something about "extreme" with HD output and two slots for video card, sounds familiar or is it a good one?


You're welcome. Basically just make sure the box is sealed, after that the only way to know is looking at the components themselves.

Which motherboard to get depends on which processor you get and in some cases what other components you want to use. Every different chipset has it's own features and limitations. Typically Z77 boards for third gen Core processors (3XXX, Ivy Bridge) and Z87 boards for 4th gen Core processors are best, but that certainly doesn't mean you need it, and in fact will probably be overkill for you. Something to also note is that 3rd gen processors use a different socket from 4th gen so that needs to be accounted for.

Narrow down what you want your computer to have and I can put together a build for you if you'd like. Be sure to outline what you will be using it for, and what your budget is. Preferably in USD. This can all be pretty confusing for a first time builder/buyer, so don't worry about asking questions if you don't understand.


Here is my other post with the info u might need to help me out.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1969803/2014-che...

Once again thanks a lot!
m
0
l
!