fx 6300 max volt?

taz0697

Honorable
May 19, 2013
So what is the max safe everyday use voltage for a fx6300. i read 1.5-1.6 is fairly safe, is this wrong? can i do it assuming temps are good?

Solution
how long were you running OCCT? (occt isn't a great stress test... but if you were hitting just 2C more on a prime95 blend test then i'd say you have a VERY cool running chip)

those temps are fine. because no modern software or program will beat up your cpu like OCCT or Prime95 will... you'll never see those temps again. My cpu is at the edge of overheating when i run IBT, yet it's never come within 20C of those temps outside of that stress test. You'll be fine. it's mostly temps that damage CPUs... voltages beat up motherboards. so i wouldn't worry about your cpu so much as that mb.

that said you have the same mb i do... and since you're using a fx6300... i figure your board should be up to the challenge for the long run; so...
lets put it this way... temps will keep you far away from dangerous voltages.

but you're right... if temps were not a factor, you probably are alright up to 1.55-1.6V or so... that said at around 1.45V-1.5V it requires some seriously great cpu cooling to keep a piledriver cool. And a very well built motherboard; and even better case airflow.

taz0697

Honorable
May 19, 2013
well cpu temps are great getting 57 on the core and 64 on the socket at 1.524 volts, room temp is about 20c give or take a degree. Would that be safe to run at 24/7? what would be the life expectancy at that? Id like to get 4-5 years out of it.

are you stress testing it with prime95 or Intel Burn Test?

If that is temps while stress testing, those are amazing temps for that voltage, but if that's just idle, then i wouldn't stress test it as temps are far too high already...

just so you know, the socket will have to hit 75C before the cpu will be throttled back. That said, it's the very rare piledriver that will make it that hot and throttle back before heat crashing. Usually piledriver cpus will heatcrash around 65-70C on the socket. The package temps tend to be a little less consistent... but around 65C-68C on the package the cpu will heatcrash

taz0697

Honorable
May 19, 2013

actually those temps were form using occt, but the prime95 test the only difference i get is about 2 degrees warmer on the socket.
That shold be safe to run daily like that or not? like i said i want to get 4-5 years out of it

how long were you running OCCT? (occt isn't a great stress test... but if you were hitting just 2C more on a prime95 blend test then i'd say you have a VERY cool running chip)

those temps are fine. because no modern software or program will beat up your cpu like OCCT or Prime95 will... you'll never see those temps again. My cpu is at the edge of overheating when i run IBT, yet it's never come within 20C of those temps outside of that stress test. You'll be fine. it's mostly temps that damage CPUs... voltages beat up motherboards. so i wouldn't worry about your cpu so much as that mb.

that said you have the same mb i do... and since you're using a fx6300... i figure your board should be up to the challenge for the long run; so don't sweat it.

Solution

taz0697

Honorable
May 19, 2013

Ya the motherboard is alright, not the best one on the market but its doin really good. its only a 6+2 power phase tho

What do you mean ONLY 6+2? Thats plenty good.

taz0697

Honorable
May 19, 2013

well ya its still good, but theres much better 8+2. Im only at 4.8 with this voltage, im not too sure but i think at this voltage with a 8+2 i would be sitting at about 5.0, no?

well this 6+2 power phase board is driving my 8320 to 5.0ghz... those are DIGI+VRMs Asus is using on these boards. Top of the line stuff... and it shows.

my old motherboard was 8+2 and it wasn't in this class... older VRMs, no where near the quality. the quality of the vrms is as important as the number of them. That's why asrock and msi boards are usually junk for AMD overclocking.

if you need that much voltage for 4.8ghz, i'd say it's more about the silicon of your chip then it is the VRMs on the board. Some chips just won't get to 5ghz.

yep.

i have personal experience with this. My old motherboard was a 8+1 VRM design... had heatsinks and everything. it struggled to get my phenomII x4 965be up to 3.7ghz. When i swapped to this motherboard with it's far superior vrms, if similar vrm heatsink design... even though it was a 6+2 design, i hit 4.0ghz on the spot with the new board. hell i was hitting 3.8ghz on stock voltage with the new board... where as before to stabilize at 3.8ghz i had to drive the vcore up to 1.48v. With the new board my PhenomII was hitting 4.0ghz with pretty much the same voltage i needed to get to 3.8ghz on my old board.

I didn't change the ram, cpu cooler, or power supply. the only change was the motherboard. And it was from the same manufacturer, ASUS. The biggest difference between the two boards was the quality of the VRMs... both boards had over the top overclocking options, both boards were well cooled with robust heatsinks... so we can pretty clearly say the better VRM design on the new m5a99x evo was the difference between the boards.