Solved

Windows 7 Not Auto-Restarting After BSOD

The problem is exactly what the subject says.
After a Windows computer BSODs, it's supposed to restart automatically, right? From what I've read, it's actually supposed to restart so quick most people have a difficulty reading what exactly the error says. My girlfriend's Windows 7 laptop, though, doesn't restart at all. Automatically, I mean. We've to do it manually.
I've made sure the "Automatically restart" option IS checked in the Startup And Recovery settings window, so I'm not sure what's wrong.

Help?

- Nick
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about windows auto restarting bsod
  1. There is a setting in Windows 7 that you can enable/disable for it to restart after the BSOD or not.

    Here's How:

    Click on the Start button and then on Control Panel.

    Tip: In a hurry? Type system in the search box after clicking Start. Choose System under the Control Panel heading in the list of results and then skip to Step 4.

    Click on the System and Security link.

    Note: If you're viewing the Small icons or Large icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply double-click on the System icon and proceed to Step 4.

    Click on the System link.

    In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced system settings link.

    Locate the Startup and Recovery section near the bottom of the window and click on the Settings button.

    In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and check the check box next to Automatically restart.

    Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.

    Click OK in the System Properties window.

    You can now close the System window.

    From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, Windows 7 will force a reboot.
  2. ahnilated said:
    There is a setting in Windows 7 that you can enable/disable for it to restart after the BSOD or not.

    Here's How:

    Click on the Start button and then on Control Panel.

    Tip: In a hurry? Type system in the search box after clicking Start. Choose System under the Control Panel heading in the list of results and then skip to Step 4.

    Click on the System and Security link.

    Note: If you're viewing the Small icons or Large icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply double-click on the System icon and proceed to Step 4.

    Click on the System link.

    In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced system settings link.

    Locate the Startup and Recovery section near the bottom of the window and click on the Settings button.

    In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.

    Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.

    Click OK in the System Properties window.

    You can now close the System window.

    From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, Windows 7 will not force a reboot. You'll have to reboot manually when an error appears.


    Yes, thank you, ahnilated, but I too have read that article on About.com. And I found it unhelpful. As I already said. As you should have known if you'd read my query fully. "I've made sure the............settings window".
    Also, my query is why the laptop ISN'T automatically restarting even though the option IS checked. I want it to restart automatically. Not wait for manual input.

    - Nick

    P.S.: It's really rude to copy-paste anything from anywhere without crediting the source. Even more so if you're copy-pasting their entire article without their permission.
  3. Best answer
    t4akawolf said:
    ahnilated said:
    There is a setting in Windows 7 that you can enable/disable for it to restart after the BSOD or not.

    Here's How:

    Click on the Start button and then on Control Panel.

    Tip: In a hurry? Type system in the search box after clicking Start. Choose System under the Control Panel heading in the list of results and then skip to Step 4.

    Click on the System and Security link.

    Note: If you're viewing the Small icons or Large icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply double-click on the System icon and proceed to Step 4.

    Click on the System link.

    In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced system settings link.

    Locate the Startup and Recovery section near the bottom of the window and click on the Settings button.

    In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.

    Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.

    Click OK in the System Properties window.

    You can now close the System window.

    From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, Windows 7 will not force a reboot. You'll have to reboot manually when an error appears.


    Yes, thank you, ahnilated, but I too have read that article on About.com. And I found it unhelpful. As I already said. As you should have known if you'd read my query fully. "I've made sure the............settings window".
    Also, my query is why the laptop ISN'T automatically restarting even though the option IS checked. I want it to restart automatically. Not wait for manual input.

    - Nick

    P.S.: It's really rude to copy-paste anything from anywhere without crediting the source. Even more so if you're copy-pasting their entire article without their permission.


    Well if you really understand that article then you know that when you get a BSOD it creates a file with the crash code and that takes time. If it doesn't create that file then it won't reboot automatically and you need to figure out why it isn't being allowed to create it.
  4. ahnilated said:
    Well if you really understand that article then you know that when you get a BSOD it creates a file with the crash code and that takes time. If it doesn't create that file then it won't reboot automatically and you need to figure out why it isn't being allowed to create it.


    And that's what I need help figuring out.

    - Nick
  5. Have you checked to see if the hard drive is failing and causing your BSOD? This would make it so it won't write to the drive. What other troubleshooting have you done to see what the cause of the BSOD is? Is the hard drive full?
  6. ahnilated said:
    Have you checked to see if the hard drive is failing and causing your BSOD? This would make it so it won't write to the drive. What other troubleshooting have you done to see what the cause of the BSOD is? Is the hard drive full?


    It's a relatively healthy harddrive, I'd say. Has over 153GB free space left in the primary partition. 29GB in the personal partition.
    Although, the laptop has been known to be 'accidentally and abruptly displaced from its resting position onto the floor' by her (*facepalm*). But I have never noticed any odd clicks or beeps from it.
    No viruses. No malware. Fragmentation isn't an issue.

    - Nick
  7. Ok, making the computer hit the ground while the platters are spinning is a massive problem. Have you ran something like chkdsk /f on it before to see if there is any bad sectors or ran error checking in Windows by right clicking on the drive, going to properties and the tools tab? It sounds like the heads may have impacted the drive and we want to check that before continuing troubleshooting.
  8. ahnilated said:
    Ok, making the computer hit the ground while the platters are spinning is a massive problem. Have you ran something like chkdsk /f on it before to see if there is any bad sectors or ran error checking in Windows by right clicking on the drive, going to properties and the tools tab? It sounds like the heads may have impacted the drive and we want to check that before continuing troubleshooting.


    Wouldn't a physical damage to the harddrive make itself known audibly, though? Because I've never heard any odd clicking or beeping from the laptop.
    I even used its own mic to listen to its insides, for things we can't pick up with . . . the . . . 'naked'(?) . . . ear, because I thought maybe I just wasn't hearing it well enough, and I still heard nothing.

    - Nick

    P.S.: There is no abnormal heating either; only as much and as often as one would expect.
  9. No, the drive wouldn't make noise if the heads scraped on the platter from being dropped unless there was more then a scratch on the platter, IE bent head or broken platter.
  10. ahnilated said:
    No, the drive wouldn't make noise if the heads scraped on the platter from being dropped unless there was more then a scratch on the platter, IE bent head or broken platter.

    Hmm. Well, I'm away from her (and her laptop, obviously) right now, but I will have a chkdsk run on it as soon as I can.
    I'll get back to you with the result.

    - Nick
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Windows 7 Blue Screen