fx 8320 running loud

samborambo56

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
I got the fx 8320 today an was wondering two things:

1. Will the fact I've ordered a new, better cpu cooler mean less noise ?

2. I really hope the answer to this is yes but will the chip have come with thermal paste pre-applied if it was bought brand new from amazon?

The stock cooler from AMD is known to be loud. My wife has a Phenom II 965BE with the stock cooler and it is loud at times.

To answer your questions though:

1. Yes. After market coolers are normally quieter since they don't need to spin at such high RPMs to push the heat from the heatsink. But you want to make sure that you have the fan pull air from the front of the case and blow it out the back.

2. Most after market coolers do come with preapplied TIM but not all do. It depends on which one you have purchased.

samborambo56

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

The Arctic Cooling Freezer A30 CPU Cooler as it is named on amazon.

The default cooler seemed to have some kind of sticky substance applied on the bottom, in the shape of the chip itself so I assume that was thermal paste :S

samborambo56

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-FX8320-Edition-4-0GHz-Socket/dp/B009O7YU56/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389206666&sr=8-1&keywords=fx+8320 this is the version of the processor I bought and the cooler is the The Arctic Cooling Freezer A30 CPU Cooler

Intel and AMD include thermal paste on the bottom of their CPU coolers as do some after market coolers. The A30 does not and comes with a tube of thermal paste. In most cases, you want to clean the old stuff off of the CPU using at least 90% Iso propyl alcohol, preferably the higher % the better. Once clean you will want to apply a small amount in the center of the CPU, typically the size of a small pea.

When you apply the heatsink you want to apply even pressure which will spread it out over the CPU and it even helps to slightly twist the cooler to the left and right very slightly to help it spread.

With this one, make sure the fan faces the front of the system. I am not familiar with it and I know in some cases with the AMD clip system it might not be possible but try. If not that's fine but it wont be nearly as efficient as it could be which is why I prefer to get coolers that come with back plates and I like Intels system a bit better as you can mount the fan for better efficiency.

Good luck and remember, a small amount of thermal paste. Too much will saturate the CPU and cause it to leak out to the sides, possibly causing shorts and as well will make the cooler not run efficiently.

samborambo56

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

Okay, thank you very much for your help :)