I5 4430 with an Nvidia 650 ti boost

bsasson

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Hey guys, I'm very much a noob in the pc gaming/rig-building world and I'm trying to figure out if I haven't just wasted a couple hundred dollars trying to upgrade something that was never worth the bother. I recently got a refurbished Lenovo K450 with an I5-4430 and Windows 8. I decided I wanted to upgrade from the wimpy Nvidia 630 the computer came with so I got a Corsair CX 600w psu to replace the 280w one the computer came with and an ASUS 650 ti boost (with 2 gb). Since popping in the new gpu and loading the new drivers none of the games I was hoping to push into higher settings are working at all and I'm getting lots of error messages about various applications being "blocked from accessing graphics hardware." Have I created an unworkable hardware configuration or is it an issue with my drivers, or something else I haven't considered. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Typically when you install a new card, you either use the driver cd that came with it, or, more recommended, is to go to the nvidia site, go to drivers, find your card, download and click the clean install button during the installation process. But if you are getting crashes before windows even boots, then you may be having more than just a driver problem and should check to see that everything in your system is physically installed correctly

bsasson

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Bioshock Infinite, Dragon Age, Witcher 2, none of them will actually make it into gameplay. Bioshock crashes during the benchmark utillity! Dragon Age and Witcher make it into the opening menus, but crash when I select a new or saved game. How would I tell if I have clean driver installs? My device manager doesn't indicate any driver conflicts of any kind... I did make a point of checking the nvidia website and getting the 332.1 driver after loading the one from the cd-rom that came with the card. Now I'm also getting crashes just randomly in the desktop with reports saying there's been a "video tdr failure" before windows 8 reboots.

Typically when you install a new card, you either use the driver cd that came with it, or, more recommended, is to go to the nvidia site, go to drivers, find your card, download and click the clean install button during the installation process. But if you are getting crashes before windows even boots, then you may be having more than just a driver problem and should check to see that everything in your system is physically installed correctly

Solution