HD 7870 flickering screen and graphic glitches

WickedInvi

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
I just got my rig together today http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/KIc . Few hours after I got it running I decided to play some League of Legends and then noticed some flickering lines across the screen as well as graphic glitches. Also got a few BSOD but they refer to a network error or at least thats what Google says since the file that seems to affect it is NETIO.SYS. I need some help figuring stuff out before I contact the vendor and request a new unit or a refund.

WickedInvi

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
Just single GPU and no kind of overclocking yet. Updated BIOS to the latest version and downloading latest drivers for the chipset etc. but after putting the BIOS update I just played CoD: Ghost and had no crashes and flickers only when screen goes black there is a bunch of lines across the screen until there is some kind of graphic. Still to play League of legends and see if there is still a problem there.

WickedInvi

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
I have done a bit of reading and there seems to be a number of faulty 7870's. Should I get a refund and look for another card or its just me being unlucky and should I look for replacement?

Edit: Could it be drivers issues ?

WickedInvi

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
I am thinking to just request a different unit but they will be in stock in 16 days so I will be testing till then I guess. I need to find out if its just League of Legends client issue or is it the card itself. Did a few stress tests didn't see any problems with flickers or artifacts and temp was really low 50C

WickedInvi

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
I was reading some stuff and noticed people saying that they had problems within games and when they run stress tests everything was fine. Seems the case here but then I found some info that says there might be a problem with HD 78xx with League of Legends. So I will keep on testing see what happens I can't change it now anyway.

thismafiaguy

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
That's a bit unlikely. When it comes to monitor cables and adapters, it either works or it doesn't, I have personally never seen image quality issues being caused by a cable or adapter, unless you're using a coaxial cable... But do keep in mind that VGA cables nowadays aren't as well made as before, because they are becoming obsolete, especially now that it's 2014.

space1

Honorable
May 20, 2013
He may be right about the adapter thing.
I have a dvi to vga adapter that gives every monitor I have connected on any gpu i use it with a yellow tint.
I put a dvi cable in or a better adapter in and it goes to regular colors again.

So maybe try another adapter just for the hell of it man.