New 500 GB external hd keeps getting error message that disk needs to be formatted

Iatrogenes

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
I have a new 500 GB hard drive that has been formatted (using Windows 7) and I continuously get a message that the disk needs to be formatted ...even though I have already done that twice. I use the disk for file backup, can see all my files on the H drive, my sync program works fine and is communicating with the external HD, yet I still get daily pop-up messages that the disk needs to be formatted though it seems to be working fine.

Any solutions?

Iatrogenes

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014

Don't know about gparted-live so didn't use it. Since the drive seems to be working and communicating as expected, is there a way to just disable the pop-up message? I already formatted the disk twice and had to replace all my files back on the external HD, even though it seemed to be working fine. I used Acronis to partition the internal HD with no problem. Why would I need to partition the external HD?

Iatrogenes

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014

When I first started to get the error message I thought it best to use Windows 7's format utility so the NTFS formatting would be consistent with the operating system, even though the drive seemed to be working properly. Unfortunately, I kept getting the error message that the disk needed to be formatted. Would gparted somehow do this different/better? At this point, all I want to do is get rid of the pop-up error message. Is there a way to disable the message in the registry?