Solved

Overclocking a i5 3570k and gtx 770

I will soon assemble a pc with the following configuration

asrock z77 extreme4
2x4gb ram corsair vengeance
I5 3570K
cooler hyper 212x
gtx 560 ti hawk
psu corsair 550 VX

but in the future I want to change my vga by a gtx 770. My questions are: My psu will handle it? If yes, can I overclock the cpu?

Sorry the bad english and thanks
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about overclocking 3570k gtx 770
  1. it will work but it will kind of be on its limit if you start overclocking everything
  2. 06yfz450ridr said:
    it will work but it will kind of be on its limit if you start overclocking everything


    i plan to overclock just the cpu. That being said, what do you think its the max OC that i can get?
  3. No, if you're overclocking a 770 and 3570k with that PSU, it will die taking along both of them too.
    I think its time for a PSU upgrade. You need at least a quality 700 watt PSU.
    You may consider any of the below options :
    1)Seasonic X-Series 750 watt 80plus Gold (modular)
    2)Corsair HX 750

    My personal choice - Sesonic X series 750 watt.
  4. AlexSmith96 said:
    No, if you're overclocking a 770 and 3570k with that PSU, it will die taking along both of them too.
    I think its time for a PSU upgrade. You need at least a quality 700 watt PSU.
    You may consider any of the below options :
    1)Seasonic X-Series 750 watt 80plus Gold (modular)
    2)Corsair HX 750

    My personal choice - Sesonic X series 750 watt.


    i don't plan to OC the gtx 770, do you still think the psu cant handle it? Another question is, can i overclock the i5 3570k with the gtx 560 ti safely?
  5. No, that PSU will not be able to handle that. You need to buy a new PSU if you're upgrading to 770 or even overclocking with current rig.
  6. =/ where i live a CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 is 200$..
    BTW i live in brazil, everything is double the price of USA, and the corsair 550 i already own. sigh
  7. Best answer
    actually as i said you will be fine as long as you arent overclocking (you will be able to over clock a little bit with no problems)

    Minimum PSU Wattage: 395 W
    Recommended
    PSU Wattage: * 445w

    this is for your cpu, gtx 770, 2 sticks of ddr3, 1 hhd, 2 case fans,dvd drive

    this is for 90% system load

    it will work on that system and since the corsair is a good brand it will be ok. is that the bronze edition?
  8. 06yfz450ridr said:
    actually as i said you will be fine as long as you arent overclocking (you will be able to over clock a little bit with no problems)

    Minimum PSU Wattage: 395 W
    Recommended
    PSU Wattage: * 445w

    this is for your cpu, gtx 770, 2 sticks of ddr3, 1 hhd, 2 case fans,dvd drive

    this is for 90% system load

    it will work on that system and since the corsair is a good brand it will be ok. is that the bronze edition?


    yeah,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

    so maybe i can OC the cpu to at least 4.2?

    edit: i don't think its the bronze edition..
  9. You're safe as long as you're not overclocking. Overclocking increases the power consumption dramatically. the 550 watt PSU is barely able to handle your system. You're fine on the PSU, but if you're overclocking upgrade to atleast a 650 watt quality PSU.

    Free advice - You won't get a noticeable improvement in gaming by overclocking that CPU. only a 3-4 fps increment is possible. Take care of your warranty.
  10. depending on what games you play overclocking really may not help at all, games like bf4 on 64 players a cpu overclock will help, games like COD you probably wont see any difference.
  11. 06yfz450ridr said:
    depending on what games you play overclocking really may not help at all, games like bf4 on 64 players a cpu overclock will help, games like COD you probably wont see any difference.


    there is one particular game that i would like to know if a OC cpu could help, that is Xenoblade Chronicles in Dolphin emulator. I read that game is CPU heavy, maybe you can help me.
  12. i dont believe it will help a whole lot, how does it play now?
  13. 06yfz450ridr said:
    i dont believe it will help a whole lot, how does it play now?


    my actual pc cant play it nicely
    core2quad q8400
    4 gb
    windows 7 32 bits
    gtx 560 hawk
    psu corsair 550VX

    maybe with the stock i5 3570k i can play nice
  14. well the probelm is probably due to the old core 2 quad and the 560, both are a little out dated but they arent super weak. i know my friends core2quad struggle a little.

    the 3570 is much more powerful than the quad, but at that point the 560 will be the thing holding you back
  15. 06yfz450ridr said:
    well the probelm is probably due to the old core 2 quad and the 560, both are a little out dated but they arent super weak. i know my friends core2quad struggle a little.

    the 3570 is much more powerful than the quad, but at that point the 560 will be the thing holding you back


    ok thanks for the answers, im gonna stick to my gtx 560, and in the future upgrade both vga and psu.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gtx Overclocking Corsair Intel i5