Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

After a few mins of games my monitor goes black and freezes with a continues buzzing noise from speakers

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 9, 2014 9:17:59 AM

Since I added a second monitor to my new custom build computer a few days ago both my monitors are kinda old so I had to use a VGI converter to connect them to my graphics card but since the second one got put on I start playing games I can play for about 5 mins before suddenly the screen goes black on both with a continues buzzing noise I have to manually turn it off it kinda freezes. I tried to see if it was the second monitor by first connecting it to the motherboard instead of the graphics card and the problem stayed but it changed in that the second monitor wouldn't go black like the first it would just freeze on what ever it was on at the time with the same noise.
I attempted to take the second one out to see if the problem would stop but it has only delayed the problem for a few minutes it keeps happening now for some reason. I keep trying to play with far cry 3 but the problem has happened on other games as well.
my computer is all new:
i5 4670k, 770 OC eddition, Z87-HD3 Gigabyte motherboard and
8 GB 1600hz RAM
I have also checked for viruses which I have none and drivers which all seem to be up to date.
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 9, 2014 9:25:45 AM

If you are overclocked at all on your GPU/CPU try going back to stock. I play FC3 all the time and had to reduce my CPU to 3.8ghz in order to not have a crash because of my CPU. Same crash as yours. In all other games/benchmarks I am stable at 4ghz without an issue.

Also, what PSU are you using? Have you tried different drivers for your gtx770?
m
0
l
a c 98 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 9, 2014 9:25:48 AM

Next step is to check temps on both gpu and cpu

if those temps are alright, try updating the onboard 4600 graphics of your processor (driver from intel instead of nvidia)

if this doesnt work, go back to one monitor and see if problem still persists. If problem does not persist, swap your original single monitor for the new one, but ONLY use the new one. this will let you know it if is a problem with the new monitor or not

this kind of problem is primarily a trial and error type thing, and can be a various number of problems

honestly, even a bad cable can cause this problem


for most people, plugging both monitors into the gpu rather than using the motherboard is the best route to go, even if you are only gaming on one screen and have a browser open on the second screen
m
0
l
Related resources
January 9, 2014 9:32:51 AM

sincreator said:
If you are overclocked at all on your GPU/CPU try going back to stock. I play FC3 all the time and had to reduce my CPU to 3.8ghz in order to not have a crash because of my CPU. Same crash as yours. In all other games/benchmarks I am stable at 4ghz without an issue.

Also, what PSU are you using? Have you tried different drivers for your gtx770?


I have a CX 600m for power supply ow and also my problem seems to happen on all games and my processor is not overclocked but my graphics card is factory OC also what do you mean by other drivers ? I did not know of any other.
m
0
l
a c 98 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 9, 2014 9:36:14 AM

On the nvidia site, there is the current driver at the top, and older drivers underneath it in the list once you have found your card. do not try beta drivers if you are having problems. (takes some navigating to find this specific page, but you will see a long list of drivers with various names, but all will work with your card as long as you have done the right search for your card (picked your card from the drop down list when searching for appropriate drivers)
m
0
l
January 9, 2014 9:39:36 AM

Brantyn Gerik said:
On the nvidia site, there is the current driver at the top, and older drivers underneath it in the list once you have found your card. do not try beta drivers if you are having problems. (takes some navigating to find this specific page, but you will see a long list of drivers with various names, but all will work with your card as long as you have done the right search for your card (picked your card from the drop down list when searching for appropriate drivers)


Seems that's not the problem It is up to date
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 9, 2014 9:39:48 AM

That would be a system crash, and that it happened to start when adding the 2nd monitor is probably coincidental.

This is likely a hardware or driver issue, not a virus.

Does this happen on any game or just a specific few? Does it happen when multi-tasking or other heavy workloads?

1) undo any overclocking that your system may have, and reset the BIOS to stock settings (changing only things that are necessary for the system to run such as RAID)
Try playing your game again

2) Check your system's temps. While CPUs and GPUs can both technically run above 90*c, it is really not suggested. Make sure all of your fans are running properly and that things are running reasonably cool when under load. Overheating these days will typcially cause system throteling, but overheating the Ram or the northbridge can still cause pretty horrible crashes.
If you find things are running hot then redo your thermal paste, remembering that too much is just as bad (if not worse) than too little. Consider aftermarket coolers as well.

3) Check your driver environment. Update drivers for everything (especially motherboard and GPU), and make sure you are on stable builds and not beta builds. Make sure you are off of Windows default drivers as they can be pretty horrible (though not as bad as they use to be).

4) Recheck all of your physical connections inside of the computer. While rare, there have been more than one occasion where simply unplugging and replugging all of the power and data cables in a system has brought it back to life. Recently I was having random crashed related to heavy reads on my SSD, and all that was wrong ended up being a bad SATA data cable connection. Simply unplugging and replugging the SATA cables brought the system back up as if nothing had ever been wrong, and that problem was causing me grief for the better part of a week before I figured it out. Much happier to buy locking SATA cables than a new SSD!

5) If none of that basic maintenance stuff works then it is time for system diagnostics to root out the source of your issues. These tests can take a long time, but are worth the effort if something is wrong.
Intel Burn Test is great for pushing your CPU alone to test for stability, run it for at least an hour, and watch your system temps through the process to ensure they stay well below 90*c, preferably under 80*c.
Windows Memory Diagnostic is a good quick memory test which is easy to run (requires a restart), but you should really run memtestx86+ for ~2 hours per GB to really be sure that your ram is not causing you grief. If the system fails either of these tests then test each stick of ram individually in different ports. Ram sockets are just as faulty as Ram itself, and when I built my current rig I had both bad Ram and a bad socket which was a real bugger to diagnose. The system worked fine for almost a month before the issue developed which was another big pain in the neck. If any core component is likely to go out on you then it is probably the Ram.
There are tons of GPU benchmarks, and I am not horribly familiar with them, but try a few of them to check for GPU stability.
HDDs will not typically cause these types of system hangs, but it may be good to try something like HDTune to test them as well even though it is not the best of tests.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
m
0
l
a c 98 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 9, 2014 9:40:45 AM

the cx series is lower quality, but still above quite a few other models, and still has a real certified 80+ bronze rating. I would think it's not your power supply, but like i said, it is totally trial and error
m
0
l
January 9, 2014 9:50:54 AM

CaedenV said:
That would be a system crash, and that it happened to start when adding the 2nd monitor is probably coincidental.

This is likely a hardware or driver issue, not a virus.

Does this happen on any game or just a specific few? Does it happen when multi-tasking or other heavy workloads?

1) undo any overclocking that your system may have, and reset the BIOS to stock settings (changing only things that are necessary for the system to run such as RAID)
Try playing your game again

2) Check your system's temps. While CPUs and GPUs can both technically run above 90*c, it is really not suggested. Make sure all of your fans are running properly and that things are running reasonably cool when under load. Overheating these days will typcially cause system throteling, but overheating the Ram or the northbridge can still cause pretty horrible crashes.
If you find things are running hot then redo your thermal paste, remembering that too much is just as bad (if not worse) than too little. Consider aftermarket coolers as well.

3) Check your driver environment. Update drivers for everything (especially motherboard and GPU), and make sure you are on stable builds and not beta builds. Make sure you are off of Windows default drivers as they can be pretty horrible (though not as bad as they use to be).

4) Recheck all of your physical connections inside of the computer. While rare, there have been more than one occasion where simply unplugging and replugging all of the power and data cables in a system has brought it back to life. Recently I was having random crashed related to heavy reads on my SSD, and all that was wrong ended up being a bad SATA data cable connection. Simply unplugging and replugging the SATA cables brought the system back up as if nothing had ever been wrong, and that problem was causing me grief for the better part of a week before I figured it out. Much happier to buy locking SATA cables than a new SSD!

5) If none of that basic maintenance stuff works then it is time for system diagnostics to root out the source of your issues. These tests can take a long time, but are worth the effort if something is wrong.
Intel Burn Test is great for pushing your CPU alone to test for stability, run it for at least an hour, and watch your system temps through the process to ensure they stay well below 90*c, preferably under 80*c.
Windows Memory Diagnostic is a good quick memory test which is easy to run (requires a restart), but you should really run memtestx86+ for ~2 hours per GB to really be sure that your ram is not causing you grief. If the system fails either of these tests then test each stick of ram individually in different ports. Ram sockets are just as faulty as Ram itself, and when I built my current rig I had both bad Ram and a bad socket which was a real bugger to diagnose. The system worked fine for almost a month before the issue developed which was another big pain in the neck. If any core component is likely to go out on you then it is probably the Ram.
There are tons of GPU benchmarks, and I am not horribly familiar with them, but try a few of them to check for GPU stability.
HDDs will not typically cause these types of system hangs, but it may be good to try something like HDTune to test them as well even though it is not the best of tests.

Good luck, and keep us posted.


while my processor is not overclocked my graphics card is stock overclocked could that be the problem is there anyway to reset it ? and also it happens on all my games, its not under a heavy load the the temp never passes 70

m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 9, 2014 9:59:16 AM

Malakth said:


while my processor is not overclocked my graphics card is stock overclocked could that be the problem is there anyway to reset it ?



A factory OC is your stock OC for the card, because if it does not work at the factory OC then it should still be under warranty. Just undo any other OC beyond what it came with already if you have done any. And definitely reset your Bios... they can get confused at times.

Most likely you are looking at bad Ram or faulty GPU. Close behind that is a cabling issue. Heat and OC issues tend to cause throttled performance or hard resets rather than system hangs, but they are things to look out for even though they are unlikely. Even though they are unlikely they tend to be a good place to start because it is very easy to monitor temperatures and undo overclocking.
m
0
l
a c 98 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 9, 2014 9:59:37 AM

to underclock a card, you will need to download an overclocking software (msi afterburner is my personal preference, but evga percision x, asus gpu tweak and a few others work) then just bump the core clock down by maybe 50mhz to start, and if problem persists, it is likely not a problem with your graphics card. Also the most up to date drivers do not work for everyone. Try clean installs of older drivers to also rule out a driver issue
m
0
l
January 9, 2014 10:55:57 AM

CaedenV said:
Malakth said:


while my processor is not overclocked my graphics card is stock overclocked could that be the problem is there anyway to reset it ?



A factory OC is your stock OC for the card, because if it does not work at the factory OC then it should still be under warranty. Just undo any other OC beyond what it came with already if you have done any. And definitely reset your Bios... they can get confused at times.

Most likely you are looking at bad Ram or faulty GPU. Close behind that is a cabling issue. Heat and OC issues tend to cause throttled performance or hard resets rather than system hangs, but they are things to look out for even though they are unlikely. Even though they are unlikely they tend to be a good place to start because it is very easy to monitor temperatures and undo overclocking.


I reset the bios which dident make a change the same thing happened again then I went back into game after deciding to see what would happen if I lowered graphics from ultra while it has not crashed I played for about 10 mins it seems fine but I noticed this http://i.imgur.com/wJ9hqWq.png the load is stay min 80% and goes as high as 90% this doesnt seem right anything you can tell from it ?

m
0
l
a c 98 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 9, 2014 11:00:20 AM

I havent been reading very closely, as i am in class, but check your temps, as your problem is possibly, but not limited to overheating. check your temps with gpuz and cpuz to make sure you are not overheating.
m
0
l
January 9, 2014 11:21:45 AM

Brantyn Gerik said:
I havent been reading very closely, as i am in class, but check your temps, as your problem is possibly, but not limited to overheating. check your temps with gpuz and cpuz to make sure you are not overheating.


http://i.imgur.com/wJ9hqWq.png the load is stay min 80% and goes as high as 90% this doesnt seem right anything you can tell from it ? with the temp not going to high
m
0
l
a c 98 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 9, 2014 11:23:02 AM

your cpu temp is fine from looking at the coretemp thjing, but download gpu-z or some other thing that allows you to monitor gpu temp
m
0
l
January 9, 2014 11:41:12 AM

Brantyn Gerik said:
your cpu temp is fine from looking at the coretemp thjing, but download gpu-z or some other thing that allows you to monitor gpu temp


I downloaded and opened gpu-z then decided to try play and see how high the temp would go, then when in the settings of the game just looking around I changed a buffering thing and when I clicked it the crash happened again so I assumed it was memory related as the temps were fine. I ran the mem diog tool on windows and it says its fine anything else it could be ?
m
0
l
a c 98 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 9, 2014 11:44:59 AM

set gpuz to record max temp, and try again, as by the time you are getting back to gpuz, you may not be seeing your max temp, which is the temp that would be causing a failure, also, what temps do you deem fine? typicaly 75-80 is max, but anything over is considered too hot for that gpu. ,though normally, the new cards will throttle back instead of crashing.
m
0
l
January 9, 2014 11:46:44 AM

Brantyn Gerik said:
set gpuz to record max temp, and try again, as by the time you are getting back to gpuz, you may not be seeing your max temp, which is the temp that would be causing a failure, also, what temps do you deem fine? typicaly 75-80 is max, but anything over is considered too hot for that gpu. ,though normally, the new cards will throttle back instead of crashing.


I was looking at it directly on my second monitor when it crashed its was somewere around 60degrees so seems fine to me
m
0
l
a c 98 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 9, 2014 11:56:00 AM

ok, gpu temps are fine. So it may be a psu overheating problem then, (im just going by trial and error at this point)
m
0
l
January 9, 2014 12:02:40 PM

Sure its an overheating problem ? I have a feeling it might be hardware based but have no idea what
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 9, 2014 12:30:29 PM

Malakth said:
Brantyn Gerik said:
your cpu temp is fine from looking at the coretemp thjing, but download gpu-z or some other thing that allows you to monitor gpu temp


I downloaded and opened gpu-z then decided to try play and see how high the temp would go, then when in the settings of the game just looking around I changed a buffering thing and when I clicked it the crash happened again so I assumed it was memory related as the temps were fine. I ran the mem diog tool on windows and it says its fine anything else it could be ?


Windows Memory Diag frankly sucks and is only a surface level test. However it is good to see that your temps all seem to be good.

My bet is the GPU is having issues. Try upping the voltage a little bit while running at stock (factoryOC) settings and see if that clears it up?
m
0
l
January 9, 2014 12:33:54 PM

CaedenV said:
Malakth said:
Brantyn Gerik said:
your cpu temp is fine from looking at the coretemp thjing, but download gpu-z or some other thing that allows you to monitor gpu temp


I downloaded and opened gpu-z then decided to try play and see how high the temp would go, then when in the settings of the game just looking around I changed a buffering thing and when I clicked it the crash happened again so I assumed it was memory related as the temps were fine. I ran the mem diog tool on windows and it says its fine anything else it could be ?


Windows Memory Diag frankly sucks and is only a surface level test. However it is good to see that your temps all seem to be good.

My bet is the GPU is having issues. Try upping the voltage a little bit while running at stock (factoryOC) settings and see if that clears it up?


Sorry Im pretty new to this kinda stuff to up the voltage I have to go to the Bios right ? also how much should I up it by haha sorry for being so annoying
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 9, 2014 12:43:11 PM

Voltage on the video card can be adjusted within Windows via your overclocking software (MSI Afterburner, EVGA X, etc.). Bump it up by small incriments at a time and give it a good play test after applying each change. If this fixes it then it means that the problem is in the GPU's processor, and you should contact the manufacturer for an exchange. If it does not fix it then it could still be the ram on the GPU, or your PSU (unlikely), or even the motherboard itself.

...btw, does your motherboard have a different PCIe16x slot that you can try the GPU in?
m
0
l
January 9, 2014 12:51:15 PM

CaedenV said:
Voltage on the video card can be adjusted within Windows via your overclocking software (MSI Afterburner, EVGA X, etc.). Bump it up by small incriments at a time and give it a good play test after applying each change. If this fixes it then it means that the problem is in the GPU's processor, and you should contact the manufacturer for an exchange. If it does not fix it then it could still be the ram on the GPU, or your PSU (unlikely), or even the motherboard itself.

...btw, does your motherboard have a different PCIe16x slot that you can try the GPU in?


No it doesn't seem to the one bellow it is a PCIEX4 which is a shame but meh I am about to try putting up the voltage and will write back in a short while.
m
0
l
January 9, 2014 1:03:33 PM

CaedenV said:
Voltage on the video card can be adjusted within Windows via your overclocking software (MSI Afterburner, EVGA X, etc.). Bump it up by small incriments at a time and give it a good play test after applying each change. If this fixes it then it means that the problem is in the GPU's processor, and you should contact the manufacturer for an exchange. If it does not fix it then it could still be the ram on the GPU, or your PSU (unlikely), or even the motherboard itself.

...btw, does your motherboard have a different PCIe16x slot that you can try the GPU in?


The voltage bit on afterburner is grayed out does that mean I cant increase it what about power limit I can increase that ?
m
0
l
a c 98 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 9, 2014 1:26:10 PM

you need to go into settings and unlock the manual voltage control
m
0
l
a c 98 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 9, 2014 1:26:20 PM

in afterburner
m
0
l
January 9, 2014 2:11:36 PM

I think I have found the problem there was recently a new driver update and I saw this stiky thread on the nvidia forums :https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/648176/geforce...
seems the update may be causing these issues. Thank you allot putting in effort to help me but it seems another update is the only thing thatl fix this now.
m
0
l
!