Old GT 620 works fine, but GT 640 GDDR5 won't get past HP bios screen?

RMCEEDY

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
I have an HP Pavilion P6, here are the specs: http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?sp4ts.oid=5187028&spf_p.tpst=kbDocDisplay&spf_p.prp_kbDocDisplay=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c03315134-9%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

I've had a ASUS GT 620 for around a year now, been working fine, but i recently bought a GAINWARD Gt 640 GDDR5, and Iv'e installed it fine, but when i power on my PC, it freezes on the HP bios screen and I am unable to access bios or anything. The power is not an issue, as both cards use 49 watts at peak load, and the card is not dead, as it gives an image, so I'm at a loss to why the new card is not working. I've tried putting the old one back in, and it works perfectly, so what could be the problem?

Solution
You might need to update the BIOS on your motherboard. Doesn't seem like that would be the case since what you did wasn't that big a jump in technology. (Though that can be hard to tell sometimes due to rebranding).

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You might need to update the BIOS on your motherboard. Doesn't seem like that would be the case since what you did wasn't that big a jump in technology. (Though that can be hard to tell sometimes due to rebranding).

Solution

RMCEEDY

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
ok but ive heard that can go easily wrong. Is there a fool proof way? (Im not too good with BIOS stuff)
also the gt 620 is just a rebranded gt 430, so that may be why the gt 640 is too new.