2011 Newegg combo: AMD (eight-core) FX-8120 build shuts down randomly?

JTom

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
Hello, I'm hoping to get some help with an issue that has been frustrating the hell out of me lately.

I bought one of those Newegg combo DIY computer sets in late 2011. The computer started out awesome! However within the last 6 months it seems that when I strain the computer too much the entire system completely powers off with no warning.

Now I originally thought it was a BIOS error, but I updated to the latest version. Then I thought it was my RAM being stressed too much, but now it shuts down with no warning when the only thing I'm doing is watching a TV show on Media Player Classic.

Be aware that I am an extreme user of my computer. My 1TB HDD has 220gb free. Typically when I use the computer I am playing a game like World of Warcraft, watching a playlist of TV shows on Media Player Classic, and running Chrome in the background, and running a streaming server for my iPad.. When I say it like that it does sound like a lot.. I really hope someone can help! My plan as of right now is to reformat the computer and see if that eliminates the problem - if not I'm going to take it to a PC repair store because this is getting beyond my ability to handle.

Hardware:

- AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor
- GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti Video Card
- Windows 7 Ultimate x64
- Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
- CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9
- Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS BRONZE Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7,i5" Power Supply

Thank you very much for any help!
J

Solution
that's not a BIOS problem. it's software or hardware related problem. /you should do a memory test. /do a better job of cleaning everything. /do windows updates. /do a disc clean up and defrag. also do a scan disc and repair. /check for spayware and virus'. that should keep you busy for a couple of hours/

JTom

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014

I've got 8gb in there right now. Everything I've read online says that 8gb is plenty of RAM for a gaming system?

theawolwarrior

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

Even if you have 3d rendering and crysis 3 running at the same time you still wont need more then 8gb, so please dont answer silly questions like get 32 gigs of ram because that is useless on 99.9% of all systems!, plus I dont think this guy wants to spend more money on ram then his cpu and gpu combined!

JTom

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
Thank you for the responses.

I'm wondering now if it's either

1.) Power supply is 630w enough to run all this hardware?
2.) Is it over heating? I'm going to try using CPU-Z to check into that.
3.) I just opened the case up and it was DUSTY! I cleaned it out as best I could without any compressed air - no way to test this.

I THINK the problem started happening after I updated the mobo BIOS to the newest ("stable") version in order to get the computer to run Saints Row 4 - every time I tried to run it through Steam I got BSOD.

that's not a BIOS problem. it's software or hardware related problem. /you should do a memory test. /do a better job of cleaning everything. /do windows updates. /do a disc clean up and defrag. also do a scan disc and repair. /check for spayware and virus'. that should keep you busy for a couple of hours/

Solution

goku1234567890

Distinguished
I not quite sure that if this would be motherboard problem or not but I had a Dual Core who was doing the same exact thing. Try doing a memtest or some stress tests if the problem is in something other than motherboard than that won't cost you much and if it of motherboard, well then figure it out yourself. If it is a hardware problem then you have to change that hardware to take it to a repair shop. Hope I am not being too negative.