$1700 Dual Build - Editing/Gaming and Gaming/Regular Use

Kitsune Hazard

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
I've been asking around with some personal friends, but figured I'd try here as well to see what options everyone can come up with here. Better to have more options/ideas, right?

This is for his and hers dual build. I do most of the heavy lifting as far as creative works go, so we're willing to spend a bit more on that end of things. That said, it's been quite a long while since I've built a system, at least 10 years...so I'm flying blind in a lot of areas with this.

Anyway, here's the breakdown:

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next couple of months.
Budget Range:
$1700-$1800 for both (obviously more allocated to "Build 1")
(Maybe close to a $1,000/$700 split or something in that neighborhood more or less.)

System Usage:
Build 1: HD video editing (15min-30min length max), photo editing and some moderate gaming equally
Build 2: Moderate gaming/regular use

Operating System:
No OS Needed for either

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
Pretty omnivorous here, best deals+reliability are preferred of course

Parts Preferences:
Pretty open here, I do have a tendency to like Intel/Nvidia combos and typically they are better for dealing with the programs that I use from what I've seen (more on that below). Though open for other options if the performance difference is negligible.

Build 1 is likely to need some kind of SSD/HDD combo to avoid read/write issues that come from only one drive. I only plan to use the SSD for OS and programs. I figure everything else can go on other HDDs. So size doesn't need to be too crazy for that, at least I don't think it does.

Overclocking:
Build 1: Not likely (unless some benefit can be offered for doing such)
Build 2: Not likely

SLI or Crossfire:

Build 1: Possible in future
Build 2: Possible in future

Your Monitor Resolution:
Build 1: 1920x1080
Build 2: 1920x1080

Additional Comments:
I mainly use Adobe products for photo and video editing, mostly Photoshop CS5.1 Extended and Premiere Pro CS5.5. As far as gaming goes? It's pretty much on the light to moderate end of things. Having HDMI outs are also a major plus as we are known to hook into the TV for streaming and the like quite a bit as well.

Example of games played via both systems: RCT, Anno, Second Life, Sims, and in the future things like SCII, Wildstar, etc would be nice to run while looking good would be nice as well.

Additionally we do a bit of online broadcasting via Google+ Hangouts and Hangouts on Air, radio broadcasts/DJing via Shoutcast, etc as well too, but that's not really system intensive, just extra info that could help.

Reason for Upgrade:
Our 17" MBP is 6 years old now and Qosmio X305 is 5 years old. Will be keeping them for lighter road use and the like, but time to upgrade from the Core2Duo era for projects that we're working on these days and as the workload increases.

Figured it was just time to make the move back to desktops for the main systems as well for easier future upgrading.

Transmaniacon

Distinguished
Build 1:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($294.29 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($76.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.92 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1055.63
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-10 07:44 EST-0500)

Build 2:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($76.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $746.40
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-10 07:47 EST-0500)

i7 is better for video editing, the i3 will be great with moderate gaming. You have fast RAM and an SSD for OS and apps, and the 760 is a good gaming GPU that should last you both a good while. For moderate gaming, SLI probably isn't something I would worry about. I gave build 1 a PSU that will allow for SLI, but you can save some money going with the 550 watt XFX PSU.