FX-8350 Freezing/Hanging in OCCT

tidyx

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Hi,

Before I start, can I just say I am not trying to overclock, i just want a stable system lol

Specs:

Windows 8.1
FX-8350 Black Edition
16gb RAM (2 x 4 G-Skill // 2 x 4 Crucial both at 1300)
ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0
OCZ ZX Series 850W 80+ GOLD PSU
GTX 570
AverMedia LiveGamer HD

This system is essentially just a streaming PC. It literally only loads some broadcasting software. I used to run a Phenom II X6 1090T.

So new motherboard, and new CPU - everything else the same :)

The system loads fine, I even installed Minecraft for my son to play on whilst I was working - it works fine.

However, i've noticed that sometimes the PC will just restart without warning. My first port of call was to run OCCT and perform a a standard stress test (CPU:OCCT) (if thats what its called)... however after only a few seconds it hangs - totally freezes - no mouse input , no keyboard nothing - it just freezes.

Thought it might be an issue with OCCT, so tried Prime95 - the same - just freezes instantly.

Took some RAM out and ran the same test, everything the same - freezes after a few seconds.

After spending all yesterday searching through forums etc, I ran a memtest over night. 9 hours later - no problems at all (with all 16gb).

I have run the GPU:3D test - runs fine
PowerSupply Test - Runs Fine

I have updated the BIOS (new one out today) - No change

As I said, I am not bothered about overclocking at the moment, the chip will perform fine at its stock speeds for what I need to do - but it just doesnt seem stable.

I have tinkered (lol) with RAM Voltage, which did seem to let the test run for slightly longer - but in the end still everything froze.

I am truly at a loss, and would really appreciate it if anybody has any suggestions etc?

tidyx

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Didnt mention cooling... i have an evo cooler originally which kept temps nice and cool 30c, but I have even put the original cooler back on - just in case it was that - no difference.

At the moment the case is fully open with lots of airflow.

tidyx

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Sorry to keep replying to myself (lol i get all excited when i see i have a new reply - only to be disappointed that its actually me ha!)

I have manually set the multiplier lower to set the CPU at 3.2, and enabled HPC... its running the OCCT test now and has been doing for over 6 minutes. Temps are quite high - but totally expected with the stock cooler (60c)

However... it is running...

Obviously it seems totally pointless to have the new chip running at such a slow speed... so does this highlight anything?