Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

netgear wireless N150 USB adapter not detected

Tags:
  • Wireless
  • Netgear
  • USB Adapter
  • Wireless Network
Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 10, 2014 1:29:27 PM

Hello I have a windows 7 computer and I'm trying to fix my wireless USB adapter. It was working fine for a few months. But because of my sleep settings (I think), it got finicky and doesn't work correctly anymore. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and the two issues I come across are as follows:

1) when I go through the setup a box comes up saying "Windows requires a digitally signed driver
A recently installed program tried to install an unsigned driver. This version of windows requires all drivers to have a valid digital signature. The driver is unavailable and the program that uses this driver might not work correctly.
Unintstall the program or device that uses this driver and check the publisher's support website to get a digitally signed driver.
Driver: Atheros Security NDIS 6.0 Filter Driver
Service: JumpStart Wireless FIlter Driver
Publisher: Atheros Communications, Inc.
Location: C:/Windows/System32/drivers/.…
"

2) After I hit the "Close" on that it asks to plug in the adapter to detect it. Then it stays in in the "Detecting Adapter…" phase infinitely.


Any help please?!

More about : netgear wireless n150 usb adapter detected

a b F Wireless
January 10, 2014 2:14:24 PM

Yeah simply uninstall all software that came with the USB adapter. Then right click COMPUTER under the ORB and select MANAGE, under Device Manager find the device (remember to select View > Show hidden devices) and right click uninstall. Reboot. Now go to the manufacturer's website. Download the software and drivers from there (they will be updated). Follow the instructions as you install it, and should be up and running again.
m
0
l
January 10, 2014 4:46:50 PM

Tom Tancredi said:
Yeah simply uninstall all software that came with the USB adapter. Then right click COMPUTER under the ORB and select MANAGE, under Device Manager find the device (remember to select View > Show hidden devices) and right click uninstall. Reboot. Now go to the manufacturer's website. Download the software and drivers from there (they will be updated). Follow the instructions as you install it, and should be up and running again.


Thanks for your reply. But I'm having a hard time figuring out the name of the device to uninstall in the device manager. Do you know what it would be called?
I don't wanna uninstall the wrong thing.

Thanks again
m
0
l
Related resources
a b F Wireless
January 10, 2014 5:29:07 PM

Well a process of elimination could take place. First you know it isn't a Drive, nor video or sound stuff... since this is Network and USB it would most likely be either those spots or Uknown devices. Now uninstalling unknown devices would definately be the smart move, then under Network Netgear is the name of it, also the error reported stated Antheros as the name of the device as well. So that would help eliminate it under Network or USB if they displayed there at all.
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 8:32:56 AM

Tom Tancredi said:
Well a process of elimination could take place. First you know it isn't a Drive, nor video or sound stuff... since this is Network and USB it would most likely be either those spots or Uknown devices. Now uninstalling unknown devices would definately be the smart move, then under Network Netgear is the name of it, also the error reported stated Antheros as the name of the device as well. So that would help eliminate it under Network or USB if they displayed there at all.


Okay so I found the Netgear device and uninstalled, restarted, then reinstalled with the newest version but it's still giving me the same problems. :??: 
Know of any other possible solutions as to why this still occurs??
Maybe I could do a system restore?
m
0
l
a b F Wireless
January 11, 2014 10:15:21 AM

When you installed the software, it was supposed to detect the device, did the software say "plug in USB" then find it?

When you look again for it under Device Manager, does it show properly as the named device and does it have any symbols (usually a yellow exclamation point) or any statement on the device status when you bring up the properties?
m
0
l
January 11, 2014 2:35:40 PM

Tom Tancredi said:
When you installed the software, it was supposed to detect the device, did the software say "plug in USB" then find it?

When you look again for it under Device Manager, does it show properly as the named device and does it have any symbols (usually a yellow exclamation point) or any statement on the device status when you bring up the properties?


No, it just continues to say "Detecting Adapter…"
It does have the name listed under device manager, but no exclamation point.
Here's pictures.



m
0
l
a b F Wireless
January 12, 2014 12:55:18 AM

And this is the newest drivers from the Netgear website right? The device might be bad or the USB port maybe. I would try different ports (front and back) SLOWLY, and see if it is just a port is bad. Then test it in another computer and see if the same issue happens. If the same issue happens then your USB adapter is bad.
m
0
l