7950 bottom dvi having issues

synthix

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
So today my 2nd monitor got here, and I go to hook them both up only to find out that my bottom dvi port on the 7950 doesn't support a monitor going over 60 hz. That's all fine and dandy, I'll just switch them around right? Wrong. I switch them, and now my new monitor can be played at its full frequency, but the bottom dvi does not want to recognize my older monitor. the only difference I can see is that the old monitor is a VGA hooked up to a DVI adapter. but I don't see how that could be the problem when it works with the top port just fine. Can anyone here help me out? I only bought the nice monitor so I could run a dual setup and it doesn't want to let me. Ready to pull my hair out..

DVI-D digital supports only digital monitors. DVI-I supports both digital and Analog, you probably have one of each therefore it does not work with the adapter on one plug. It can be that you need better cable for more than 60Hz or a dual link cable for the DVI-D connector.

synthix

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
I'm not as technologically inclined as most here, the 120hz works just fine when the monitors in the proper slot, its my old monitor that im trying to get to be recognized. Would I be able to get some sort of proper adapter that would work? the older monitor is a little aged, it comes with a VGA that i've hooked into a DVI adapter.

edit: I looked at a DVI cable chart, and the adapter on my old monitor is a DVI-L as to where the cable on my new monitor is a DVI-D

synthix

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Their all dual link, there are no pins missing. So I need a VGA -> DVI-D converter? Would you mind linking me this converter, I went out to the store looking for a VGA -> DVI-D adapter, and thats probably why I didn't find one.